FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events New York / New Jersey Ohana Unite!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
New York / New Jersey Ohana Unite!
Tonga-in-Chiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-18 12:51 pm   Permalink

Calling all New York & New Jersey Tikiphiles!

I know you're out there. Sneaking a little pineapple juice into your vodka-crans, hoping your friends won't notice... Secretly listening to Martin Denny at work on your headphones... Furtively clutching a package of colored straws and drink umbrellas at the supermarket, knowing that the check out girl won't let you go without a smirk... Calling in sick from work so you can be home when that vintage leopard fez you found on eBay finally arrives, and then lying to your wife about what was in the empty box...

Well it's time for all of us to come out of the Tiki-closet people! Unite, brothers and sisters in Tiki and proudly wear your Aloha shirts and pooka beads in public! Shout from the roof of your tenement building or row house to all that can hear that Tiki is not tacky! That girly drinks are for men too!

Become tiki activists! Demand that orgeat syrup be stocked at your local bars, and that plastic tiki mugs be heavily taxed at our borders. Individually, we are shipwrecked on an island of cement and steel, but together we can dig our way to the sand underneath which waits patiently for our wrigling toes. Shake loose the cold, hard crust that obscures the radient tikiness of your being and come together with tiki pride. Drink, drink against the dying of the light! For these are the days that try tiki souls.

OK, enough of that...

If you've read this far, you're either easily amused by awful prose, or you, like myself, are a tikiphile who feels misplaced in the urban jungle while members of our Ohana out west are yucking it up in the sunshine and surf. So let's do something about that. Let's create our own Oasis and gather together to celebrate our common passion. We don't have much to work with, but with some work (and a lot of play) we can grow a Tiki Ohana right here in the belly of this un-tiki beast of a metropolis.

Please use this thread to introduce yourselves to each other, and to announce any upcoming events in the New York / New Jersey area.

I'll start it off by suggesting a meet and greet with dinner and drinks at Waikiki Wally's this Saturday, March 24th. Let's say 8PM. It's located at 99 E 2nd St in the East Village between 1st and Ave A(http://waikikiwallys.com).

Let me know if there's any interest out there and send me your conatact info via personal message if you'd like. I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

Mahalo,

John (Tonga-in-Chiki)

View Profile of Tonga-in-Chiki Send a personal message to Tonga-in-Chiki  Email Tonga-in-Chiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-19 06:00 am   Permalink

Aloha John!

Mahalo for your tiki call to arms!

No promises but I'll do what I can to get into the city on Saturday night to meet up with you guys. Hopefully Velveteenlounge and Paul survived Cancun and can also join us. Nancy and Freddie will you be there? Nel is probably stuck at behind the bar at Otto's.

Matt

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-19 10:48 am   Permalink

STD Notice (No....it means Save The Date) for NY/NJ/ East PA Ohana:

23 June, Allentown, PA - My annual Birthday Luau

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 11:41 am   Permalink

I'm visiting Manhattan this month - and will be at the Metropolitan Museum to photograph the entire Oceana Arts exhibit (and the whole primitive collection if I have film and batteries left) on Thursday morning, March 29th, when it opens at 9:30am. Probably be there for an hour or two. It's a weird time, but anybody who wants to have a drink or coffee at the Met up on the second floor cafe...

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga-in-Chiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-22 2:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Matt. I hope you and the others can make it on Saturday. It would sure be a sad sight if I ended up there all alone at Wally's, crying into my Volcano Bowl...

John (Tonga-in-Chiki)

View Profile of Tonga-in-Chiki Send a personal message to Tonga-in-Chiki  Email Tonga-in-Chiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kollektor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 11:01 am   Permalink

A few of us NYC tiki-philes have been using Unsteady Freddy's Surf Rock shindigs at Otto's Shrunken Head as our excuse to convene and suck down mai tais together. 1st Saturday of each month. But I'd be up for anything tiki. Dave

View Profile of Tiki Kollektor Send a personal message to Tiki Kollektor  Goto the website of Tiki Kollektor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Martiki-bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 11:51 am   Permalink

Is this invite open to Tiki-quasi-newbie? If so, my better half & I can probably make it!

Gina

View Profile of Martiki-bird Send a personal message to Martiki-bird  Email Martiki-bird Goto the website of Martiki-bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 12:05 pm   Permalink

I'm around NYC and usually at Ottos during the week.

Stay tuned for more NYC area events.

I'll post em here.

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga-in-Chiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-23 3:13 pm   Permalink

Hi Martiki-bird (Gina),

Sure you're invited! And by the way, we are all beginners in tiki since tiki is eternal...

A most mystical mahalo to you,

Tonga-in-Chiki (John)

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 4:48 pm   Permalink

Y'all don't forget my call for next weekend, Waikiki Wally's on Saturday night, March 31!

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=22908&forum=4&13

Formikahini

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 08:19 am   Permalink

DH and I were arriving at JFK on a flight from Mexico last night and didn't find out about this 'til just now. Sigh. Anyway, we're definitely up for meeting up with more tikiphiles from the area. I think I'm safe in saying we're the ONLY ones in our town (I never seem to have to fight for tiki stuff in the local stores), although that doesn't keep us in the closet. We just wear our aloha clothes and let the folks stare. I like to think our biggest contribution to our area has been asking the local liquor stores to order things like maraschino and falernum. Stores that have never heard of these products now stock them. Makes me feel like I'm doing some good in the world!

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-30 3:11 pm   Permalink

I'm blind and missed this post last week. Let us know here if there are any more upcoming events in the area.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seasideparksurfer

Posted: 2007-04-02 12:55 pm   Permalink

When is the next meeting of the minds!!!!!!

manny

View Profile of seasideparksurfer Send a personal message to seasideparksurfer  Email seasideparksurfer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga-in-Chiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-02 2:22 pm   Permalink

Hi Manny,

Welcome to our growing Ohana!

It sounds like there's already a group that meets the first Saturday of the month at Otto's Shrunken Head at 538 E14th (http://www.ottosshrunkenhead.com/) and I'm planning on being there myself to meet whoever shows up. I think a few others I've personally met, including Martiki-Bird and paranoid123 (from this thread) will be there as well. So join us!

Otto's is best described as punk-tiki (if there were any other examples of such a thing, that is...) so don't expect to be greated at the door by any wahinis, but it's a really fun and unpretentious place, whether you're pierced out or aloha'd out. And their tiki drinks are a hell of a lot better than Waikiki Wally's, so there's that very important ingredient!

Hope to see you (and everyone else) there!

Tonga-in-Chiki

P.S. Damian, thanks for finding my jacket at Waikiki Wally's on Saturday. It's not worth drinking two volcano bowls if you can't even reach a minimal level of clothes-shedding intoxication, and it seems I at least did that!

seasideparksurfer

Posted: 2007-04-04 11:16 am   Permalink

HMMMM sounds like FUN!

What time this saturday?

View Profile of seasideparksurfer Send a personal message to seasideparksurfer  Email seasideparksurfer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation