FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Why is wood so f#@king difficult to carve?!?
Why is wood so f#@king difficult to carve?!?
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-18 12:54 pm   Permalink

I hate it! I've been trying to carve some wood stuff for several days now, and each one is crappier than the one before. Soft wood just tears and chips, hard wood just burns, exotic wood is so F-ing oily it just gums up my burrs. I'm done with it, life is too short!

*deep breath Finkdaddy*

Now, where can I buy 6 foot pieces of bone?

[We now return you to your regularly scheduled program]

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-18 1:08 pm   Permalink

I've got the bonz Fink. Next time I go up to my land I'll bring back two cow jaw bones and some leg bonz. I have some special plans for one jaw bone....you can have the other. I also have a buncha soup bones here if you are low. Lemme know.

And call me, I need your new number......

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-18 1:23 pm   Permalink

Wah wah wah!

Just kidding. Wood messed up my health, at least for a while. I'd like to get my hands on some of that palm stuff.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-18 4:14 pm   Permalink

Chisels, my man...good, sharp chisels. And a chainsaw helps. Different world!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-18 9:28 pm   Permalink

Pay your dues.

Results never happen overnight!

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-03-18 21:41 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr.Predicta

Posted: 2007-03-18 9:38 pm   Permalink

you did fine with the oak dowels maybe you just need real sharp tools like my buddy Gary Lockwood he swears by his Chinese chisels
sometimes the fault really is in the tool

View Profile of Mr.Predicta Send a personal message to Mr.Predicta  Email Mr.Predicta Goto the website of Mr.Predicta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-18 9:46 pm   Permalink

we'll get you fixed up and straightened out, you don't need dem bonez! Wood is Where itz at!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 05:54 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone, I'm a bit embarrassed that I even wrote that. It was written in a rage just after I threw a piece of valuable wood across the street into the neighbors trees. I know what my problem is, I'm to damned impatient. I want the tools to dig in like they do with bone and I want a finished product right away. I use to carve wood all the time and it looked fine, but then I discovered bone. You don't have the freedom that wood has because of it's limited size, but it carves so nicely. I got my hands on some really nice wood recently and it feels like I've never carved before in my life. I'm going to see if I can find a foot pedal for the Dremel and see if that helps. I think maybe I'm not able to get the RPMs low enough. I'll be fine, really!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 06:05 am   Permalink

Finky,

Now you are throwing stuff, eh? Hmmm, bad stuff. I think a visit from Master Ben will get you all sorted out. I think you may also be pushing yourself too hard and carving when you should be resting or only thinking about carving. If the vibe isn't there step back and wait for it. I know it is important for you to move work right now, but don't make it "work" or it will stop being fun. When it stops being fun you get into situations like you are right now. Step back, and maybe spend a few hours researching some museum sites online. You'll get the feeling back soon and the beautiful carvings will be easy again.

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 2:16 pm   Permalink

Fink Fink Fink! Isn't Ben your neighbor? (PM/Call him!)I'm assuming that you're refering to the wonderful Florida Yellow Pine. I am still paying my dues with the stuff, as wellas any wood for that matter, however, I don't throw it around and have tantrums. I simply walk away, burn the sap deposits off my burrs with a torch whilst sipping some sorta fine liquid creativity. Then, the attack resumes til it's freakin done!

Hang in there

Mahalo

McTiki

[ This Message was edited by: McTiki 2007-03-19 14:20 ]

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 3:10 pm   Permalink

I find a Mai-tai most helpful in these kinds of situations.

But I drink too much...

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 12:31 am   Permalink

I gotta be in da right mood to create. As Gman said, dont force it, otherwise it becomes a chore and that bites. #1 is a killer wood carving - you got the skills man, relax and enjoy it. oh yeh, apologise to the neighbours and retrieve said piece of wood

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 05:51 am   Permalink

Fink: next time you throw a nice piece of wood, make sure it lands in Lake Wales. I'll take it off your hands.

give me a call when you get a chance.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation