FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki viva las vegas mug!!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
viva las vegas mug!!!!
morbidboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-19 8:22 pm   Permalink

There's a really cool Tiki mug that you can only get there at Viva Las Vegas 10 (April 5-8).

It's $40 (assuming since thats the retail for the previous year's mugs) and I really want one.

I can paypal you the $$$ before you go.

[ This Message was edited by: morbidboy 2007-03-19 20:22 ]

View Profile of morbidboy Send a personal message to morbidboy  Email morbidboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 7:23 pm   Permalink

It's a cool mug, indeed. But it ain't a Tiki mug.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2007-03-20 7:32 pm   Permalink

It looks like one of them Country Bears:

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 12:17 am   Permalink

Hak,
I was just thinking the same thing and then I read your post.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-22 12:10 am   Permalink

I still dig fat Elvis!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 12:37 pm   Permalink

Not straight tiki but a straight tiki mug. (and no nothing gay). There are so many mugs that aren't tiki but that the fun in it. How much designs could you do on the same tiki.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-22 12:49 pm   Permalink

yep, lots of cross overs... that's OK, it's fun, I try to stay Tiki but I too will cross over, I just categorize them differently within my collection & display I just don't claim they are tiki

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 5:01 pm   Permalink

I think its a perfect mug for the event and where its held.. Good Stuff Joe!

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NOTCH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 6:44 pm   Permalink

Looks hungry....

View Profile of NOTCH Send a personal message to NOTCH  Email NOTCH     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 10:35 pm   Permalink

I dont know, Notch....It looks like he may have already hit the buffets'...........More to Luv, Baby!!

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-24 02:22 am   Permalink

I'm hooked up... going for 1 in ea. color

morbidboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-24 08:30 am   Permalink

so can anyone pick me up one? I'll pay for it upfront (via paypal)...

View Profile of morbidboy Send a personal message to morbidboy  Email morbidboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-22 17:01, FreddieBallsomic wrote:
I think its a perfect mug for the event and where its held.. Good Stuff Joe!

I agree! As I agreed it IS a cool mug. And I also agree with this:

Quote:

On 2007-03-22 12:37, teaKEY wrote:
...How much designs could you do on the same tiki.

Tooo many already! The Tiki revival is stalling artistically, because the same tired ol' grinning toothy cartoony Tiki has been done over and over again. So to avoid that, Tiki artists reach so far into other pop culture genres that the results have nothing, or very little, to do with original Oceanic Art. But that is where it all came from!

When I discovered Tiki culture, what inspired me was a.) How authentic primitive art was irreverently re-interpreted by mid-century designers, and b.) the incredible variety in which this was done, convincing me that mid-century Tiki style was worthy of being defined as an art genre of its own.

But for my taste, the irreverence has gone too far. Irreverence with no reference to the original art form is pointless. It's all good fun, yes,...but what about art?

Today, many new carvers that pick up the chisel seem to only go as far as the Book of Tiki, or other (current) publications for reference, IF even that. Often they just seem to have looked at the nearest Tiki stuff on the net or at their neighbourhood hipster store. Tiki has become a self-perpetuating genre, going in circles.

But this is not neccessary. What did our Poly-Pop forefathers do? Since they did not have originals at hand, they used Oceanic Art books as references. And in the those pages, there was, AND STILL IS, a treasure trove of unique and crazy design concepts that are waiting to be tapped into. The arsenal of authentic primitive art is seemingly endless, yet has barely been touched on by the Tiki revival, which seems to have forgotten its roots.

The impact of primitive art on artists like Picasso and the surrealists has defined modern 20th Century art. They were inspired by the creative power of the radically abstract and mold-breaking design ideas that came forth in the work of so-called "primitive" peoples at the turn of the century. In turn Picasso and others informed mid-century modernism, and so 50s Tiki Temple designers created the modern primitive idol. These modern primitive stylings inspired me to write the Book of Tiki.

This may all sound like boring art theory, but it's not. I am into fun too, but a big part of my fun IS art. And I am not asking for slavish adherence to mid-century, or authentic Oceanic Tiki style here. I recognize and admire the Tiki revival as a new art form in its own right. But when Picasso acknowledged that in primitive art the SPIRIT of a piece could even be found in "fakes", (if they were well done), I felt that this was programatic for mid-century Tiki style, too. I am currently looking for that spirit.

And please, this is not a critique of the above mug, which is a truly unique piece in its own right...except that I would not call it Tiki.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
morbidboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-24 4:31 pm   Permalink

... still hoping for someone to help me out...

NOTCH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 5:11 pm   Permalink

The monster tiki bar and I are not going this year but a couple of my buddy's are... I"ll ask them if thay can pick up one and I can ship it to you with the others... Will see

View Profile of NOTCH Send a personal message to NOTCH  Email NOTCH     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation