FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events San Diego/Temecula Chop - May 19, 2007
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
San Diego/Temecula Chop - May 19, 2007
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 2:56 pm   Permalink

The next in a series of chops!

When: Saturday, April 7.

Where: 4WDtiki's house in Oceanside, CA. Email for address if you don't already know.

One day only this time, sorry kids. Although we can hang out on the patio all night...

I have NO MORE wood to offer up, so you're on your own.

More details as they develop!

[ This Message was edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-05-09 06:56 ]

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 3:07 pm   Permalink

no more wood.....boooooooooooooooooo

you stingy bastid! woohoo, now that I have a date to plan for life is good!! so far Tikidav has offered a slip cast demo...what else should we do? Maybe a time laps video of carving? hmmmmmm....

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 3:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-20 15:07, Clysdalle wrote:
...what else should we do? Maybe a time laps video of carving? hmmmmmm....

A live webcast would be cool...

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 3:28 pm   Permalink

like those other um, sites.......tikiteens.com or maybe biglogs.com

ok....stopping now.

I'll be out back stealing a log from you house tonight....

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 6:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-20 14:56, 4WDtiki wrote:

I have NO MORE wood to offer up, so you're on your own.

Can someone give a lesson on wood sourcing? I'll be out of logs in a few months.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 7:05 pm   Permalink

I can share my sourcing skillz at the chop. Maybe we all can...

Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 7:24 pm   Permalink

buzzy has a stack close by if we need to make a run on friday night Bill.....let me know..

Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-20 8:15 pm   Permalink

I , myself would like to learn more about the care and feeding of palm wood.

Seriously! How do you tell whether you've got a good log or not? How can you tell whether it's rotting inside or if there's some bad crackage going on? How long does a log need to dry out before carving? We need a tree guy to give a talk.

Buzzmeister, are you out there?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 01:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-20 20:15, Tikidav wrote:
I , myself would like to learn more about the care and feeding of palm wood.
Buzzmeister, are you out there?

You having log problems Dave? I do not even know where to begin...
The farther down the tree you go, the better the log usually is. Older and taller trees work the best, but you usually have to take what you can get because the problems often will not appear for a few weeks. I can kind of tell just by looking at a log how well it will carve. That just comes from seeing a lot of logs and learning from the way the log is composed. (Unfortunately, learned the hard way in most cases)Look at the ends: No cracks at all are best. Cracked ends usually mean they will crack all the way through. I usually strip my logs and wait a couple months to see if they crack, then decide how to carve around the logs problem areas.
We'll talk more when i see you guys...
Buzzy

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 03:44 am   Permalink

Got a really nice big dry log, few cracks, left over from the Oki Oki. I've stripped the husk off right to the good wood. But I wanna chainsaw it twice down its length to make two masks and one standing, flat-backed tiki.

Is the very center wood carveable?

Waste not, want not.

Hey, a simple idea for a demo would be trying different stains and stain techniques (thin them down, apply with rag or brush, etc) milk-paint washes, and poly & spar varnish to palm wood. A short chunk of wood with stain stripes would be cool to have, or a little box of chips stained different colors as reference. I could bring all the stains I got, anyway, which ain't much. Hey Kate I have some nice natural green stain, you were talking about making a Tiki green a while ago.

By the way, I've been using Ace Hardware brand stains and spar varnish, which work great and seem way cheaper than Minwax. We could all bring some cans of stain and compare colors.

Been keeping Buzzy hours. Time for bed.

[ This Message was edited by: Cammo 2007-03-21 03:55 ]

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-21 07:12 am   Permalink

Yeah, I have been having log problems! Mostly with rot. Thanks for the info, Buzzy.

I like Cammo's idea concerning staining techniques. Does this mean you've volunteered yourself to do a demo, Cam?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 09:30 am   Permalink

I'll just bring what I have;

Poly Gloss
Spar Gloss
and
"Salem Green" water based stain
"Dark Walnut" oil based
"Red Mahogany" oil based
and I'm thinking of getting some
"Cherry" and
"Jacobean" - which looks real antique-ish.

Plus I have the stain handout sheet that Ace gives you, with examples. And I'll bring some oil based Frazee Arro-Plate white, which can be thinned down to give a transparent white look. That stuff is used to coat battleships.

And I just gave my Uncle Hairy guy three coats of Spar, and nailed a sand dollar to his forehead for good luck. He's looking OK now, he'll come for the party.

If people could bring a small can or two of different stains, we could do some tests.

Lastly, if Aaron shows up he is the master of this stain stuff. That guy is a main stain artiste. He could do a great demo.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 2:44 pm   Permalink

I've been spending a LOT of time on finishing lately, so I'd love to talk stains and topcoats. I checked out a class at rockler a few weeks ago and got some tricks, so I can share those with the group. I'll bring what I've got. If it'll all fit in the car....

I'll be interested in seeing Cam's photos as well, I can bring my laptop so we can scroll through them, or I can bring a projector and a screen if we want to wait till dark and do a big slide show, if people are interested/can stay late.

Slipcasting sounds great too.

And problem palm wood would be great too.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 2:58 pm   Permalink

Damn, I love this group!!! Creative synergy!
So, we have as possible demos/discussions: slipcasting, wood sourcing, good/bad carving wood, stains and sealers, Cam's vacation slideshow...
We may not have time to chop!

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 7:17 pm   Permalink

Cammo,

A stain demo sounds like a great idea. I'll bring the few that I own. I've been shopping for blue stain for my Shag tikis. The Behr stain that I had bought definitely will not work on those two, but it was absolutely perfect for my Island Systems & Design tiki who I named Big Blue.

Have a safe journey. Can't wait to see your pictures.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation