FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts project: pitcairn...finally done!! come see pics pg. 3!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
project: pitcairn...finally done!! come see pics pg. 3!!
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 3:12 pm   Permalink

..One down, 2 to go!!!........as mentioned in my AKU AKU sign post, I'm trying to create 3 new pieces for the DVA Gallery annual tiki art show in June.......with the AKU sign finished (except for a couple small details), I'm moving on quite rapidly to the next project, The Pitcairn Hotel sign.....However, I'm going for a change of pace here...i'm going to turn this sign into an actual chair that you can sit in your tiki room on....I've been dabbling with making vintage signs into furniture and this particular vintage sign really lends itself to the task..... I first have to build a base so it can support the weight.....the pitcairn marqee will be the seat part you sit on and the rest of the sign will serve as the back rest......the nose of the tiki will be upholstered in black vinyl with padding and the white marquee itself will be tuck and rolled white vinyl with padding so that you have something soft to sit on, yet it will still look like a marqee.... I'm hoping to have this one light up as well, but probably only partially..the tiki torches will have flicker flame bulbs, the tiki will be outlined in the flex neon and the letters in the word "hotel" will light up.....it may be too much to ask to have the other parts light up as this poses the problem of having easy access to change the bulbs!!......stay tuned!!

p.s - if anyone has any other pics of this sign please post them here.....between this one below and the book of tiki i have only 2 to work from....thanks!!

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-06-04 21:03 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 4:28 pm   Permalink

Sounds ambitious! I can't wait to see how it turns out.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-20 6:33 pm   Permalink

I guess I didn't know those were the colors and I like it. Halloween is becoming my favorite holiday, after Christmas of course.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-30 5:15 pm   Permalink

..not much to post today...been torn between a number of projects, but i managed to get it off the ground.......basically the photos show the marquee part of the sign as the seat......the circular base, though not yet attached is going to be covered in green astro turf to give the effect of the sign being set into the ground.....the base that holds up the seat is not finished, in fact the front will be enclosed and will taper down on an angle starting shallow at the top/underside of the seat and getting larger as it reaches the bottom....the chair will disassemble for easy shipping and transportation.

that's about it for now...stay tuned!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-30 7:36 pm   Permalink

Looking fine so far Dave. That's going to be a truly unique one of a kind piece of "tiki-dom". I'm anxious to see the finished piece!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-30 7:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-30 19:36, Sam Gambino wrote:
Looking fine so far Dave. That's going to be a truly unique one of a kind piece of "tiki-dom". I'm anxious to see the finished piece!

thanks sam!! ...It's gonna be fun seein this fall together. I hope to have the base finished and the moai started by mid week.....already got the "vacancy" and "motel" signs done......

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 7:22 pm   Permalink

Will your chair have a "Weky Rat"?

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 7:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-02 19:22, Cammo wrote:
Will your chair have a "Weky Rat"?

..no....i'm fresh outta them!!

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 8:42 pm   Permalink

This sounds out there, but your last sign was killer so Im keen to see how you go

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-03 08:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-02 20:42, hewey wrote:
This sounds out there, but your last sign was killer so Im keen to see how you go

thanks!! this ones gonna really knock you out....more pics posted later this weekend....

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-03 7:41 pm   Permalink

here's what i did tonight....i finished building out the base and started the backrest......i have another panel that goes on the back and covers all the screws and bolts. the chair will be able to disassemble into 4 pieces. ...next i have to mount it to the circular base and then focus on the hotel sign, the tiki face and the tiki torches......what i like about this chair is that when someone is sitting in the chair you won't be able to see the "vacancy" sign..but when they get up, you will clearly see the words "vacancy".....kind of a nice little bonus......enjoy!!

PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-03 8:33 pm   Permalink

a throne fit for a tiki god. nice work.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 07:35 am   Permalink

Make one for me too! I just know this will blow minds. The last one was a slice of amazing.

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Kat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-05 12:49 pm   Permalink

Wow Tipsy, you've got some really creative ideas. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for updates. If the previous sign is any indicator, this is gonna be one kick-ass chair!

Josh

View Profile of Haole Kat Send a personal message to Haole Kat  Email Haole Kat Goto the website of Haole Kat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-09 09:53 am   Permalink

I love the functional design of this piece...not just something beautiful to hang on the wall. I will be watching the progress on this. Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation