FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts New. Headhunter Trophy Skull and More.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
New. Headhunter Trophy Skull and More.
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 12:14 pm   Permalink

Hi, I've been a pretty hardcore lurker here for some time. I'm constantly impressed with the quality and volume of work some of you guys crank out. So to start with here are two paintings I have done over the past year. I have more started but I spend way too much time at work and commuting to work. I also have some carvings but it looks like they should go in a separate post.

And for the Don Knotts fans.

I have another painting which may be done in a week or two.

[ This Message was edited by: Tabu 2007-10-06 22:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tabu 2007-10-18 18:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tabu 2007-11-17 08:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tabu 2007-11-25 15:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tabu 2008-07-14 08:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tabu 2012-08-14 21:19 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tabu 2012-10-30 07:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tabu 2013-02-03 12:48 ]

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 1:39 pm   Permalink

Cool Pieces!
Love the colors and style of that first one!
And who doesn't love the Knottster?
Thanks for sharing your work and lurking less!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 1:50 pm   Permalink

I agree! Less lurking and more sharing. I see the tikis on the frame in the second one. Are those yours? Great paintings!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 05:46 am   Permalink

Thanks for the positive feed back. I did not carve the tikis on the Don Knotts frame. They are cast in resin from a mould I took of a Coco Joe's keychain. I will post a couple of my carvings and progress shots in a separate thread later today.
I tried to enlarge the photo of that painting so you could see the detail better, however photobucket isn't cooperating.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 10:18 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tabu 2007-03-25 07:31 ]

suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 1:43 pm   Permalink

The Don Knotts painting is incredible! I love it! I love art with a sense of humor! Nice! Really cool to look at. The lighting on the tiki is cool too...great ambience

[ This Message was edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-03-22 13:44 ]

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 5:26 pm   Permalink

Hey folks, here is a new painting that is 99.9% finished. I've decided to go back and tweak it a bit but I may not have a chance to get at it for a few days. So here it is for now. I will repost it when it has been coated with varnish and I've made a frame for it.
This one was totally inspired by reading Thor Heyerdahl's Aku Aku. The theme may not be that obvious it's more about a feeling I got. All that talk about secret books and secret caves full of stone sculptures. I may do another one on this theme in the near future.
Thanks for having a look.

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 5:30 pm   Permalink

Nice Mythic Feel to this one! And the scroll with the Rongo=Rongo script is classic! the water turned out quite swell as well! Water's hard,but you nailed it here! Nice painting!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-22 5:48 pm   Permalink

Nice! You really got a great sense of distance over the water to the island. I love the lighinting on the floating tiki dude! Beautiful...

http://youtu.be/7HTCkZXaA

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 11:05 pm   Permalink

Welcome, welcome, welcome,

Wow! I love your paintings. Really top notch work. Beauty ey?

Aloha!

S
T

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 7:01 pm   Permalink

Hey, thanks for the response.
L.L.T- That's cool what you said about the mythic feel. I was going for a religious overtone with this one but taken in a goofy direction. Thank's for the compliment on the rendering of the water-that was a bit of a struggle.
Tiki Shark- Glad you like the lighting as you are no slouch in that department yourself. The island in the distance reminds me of a snorkelling trip we took in the fall in Maui, cruising around with Kahoolawe, Lanai and Molokai in the background.
Sneakytiki- Thanks for the kind words.

I started a new painting yesterday but I also started a new job today, so it may take awhile.

suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 7:47 pm   Permalink

really cool and dramatic lighting! love it!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 7:49 pm   Permalink

The Incredible Mr. Limpit!!!!!! Oh don knotts you silly goose!

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-26 10:19 pm   Permalink

Hey Tabu. Luvin your work. its got a great feel. The Don Knotts one rocks as does the floating tiki. which is quite NZ in style eh. che.

View Profile of Limey Send a personal message to Limey  Email Limey Goto the website of Limey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-27 9:35 pm   Permalink

TABU,

The levitating Hei-tiki is my personal favorite, the other two are really excellent too. I'm glad you decided to start posting pix of these! Keep sharing here.
My tiki fan--not tiki fanatic GF said that she loved the levitating tiki but wouldn't mind seeing you do a painting of just those beautiful Japanese looking waves. So there's another opinion from an accomplished graphic designer/artist/architect named Nicole.

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-05-01 14:48 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation