FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts New. Headhunter Trophy Skull and More.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
New. Headhunter Trophy Skull and More.
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 12:21 am   Permalink

Some really nice work there. More posting art!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 2:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks again to everyone for having a look at this thread and all the positive feedback. It is really motivating. I'm working on some new things (painting and carving) but in the meantime here are a couple of pieces from earlier last year.

The first is a mounted resin cast in a handmade frame. It is the same character I use in some of my paintings and this little resin one predates those. There is also a full body version which I have given all away as fridge magnets. I will post him when I make some more. He started as my own personal version of a Coco Joe's type souvenir.

This one is not Tiki but it may appeal to some of you. The devil head is cast resin painted with acrylic and the background is acrylic on masonite. The box is stained maple. I call it" Behave Yourself". I think I might add a little banner that says behave yourself to the top or bottom. The devil head I sculpted with Chavant plastecine clay. The theme is tongue in cheek. I didn't become born again overnight or anything.

And another angle.

Thanks again, more on the way. I'm working really long hours right now so no promises when.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 2:45 pm   Permalink

Jeepers! That looks like one of the things that used to pop up & scare the hell outa people in the old carnival fun houses.

The whole effect is muy carnivalesque. I love it.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 6:01 pm   Permalink

Kctiki- Yeah it does have an old timey carnival feel to it. I think by adding the banner it will look like an old midway poster or something. Glad you find it scary.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 7:36 pm   Permalink

That devil one is sweet

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-08 11:44 am   Permalink

3-Delicious!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 2:10 pm   Permalink

Aloha, it's been a while but here is the latest offering hot off the easel. Size is 8x10 and I call it "Wrong turn at La Paz."
It was influenced by a couple of books I was reading on the Amazon as well as W. Burroughs "Yage Letter's."
Plus, I just like shrunken heads. Too many trips to Ripley's museum as a kid I guess.

It looks really washed out so I will try later under better light. Thanks for poppin' in.

ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 2:19 pm   Permalink

I was looking at your previous work too, and that devil one is really awesome, I like that no matter what angle it's still givin that sinister look!

The latest one "wrong turn at La Paz" I love this one too!
Keep postin more!

mahalo!

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 7:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ravenne. I will keep postin' and I've started another one already. Don't hold your breath though it's alot bigger.

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 9:50 pm   Permalink

VERY cool stuff, Tabu! That Don Knotts is so cool... That devil head is a favorite of mine too. Welcome, and keep posting!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-13 4:54 pm   Permalink

I'm always a fan of the tsantsa art, so of course i dig the last painting, but that mixed media piece,"behave yourself" is slammin'. Great stuff.

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-13 9:19 pm   Permalink

i think the shrunken head is the head of don knotts!! look at those lips.....great stuff!! love the devil one....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-14 4:29 pm   Permalink

Hey Tabu, great suff man.
I really dig that devil piece.

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-15 07:36 am   Permalink

Sam, Freddie, Tipsy and Swampfire-thanks so much for your kind words.
Tipsy- yes I think subconsciously that shrunken head did take a Don Knotts like form.
That might have something to do with having watched "The Love God" about 20 times in the last 3 years. Don Knott's is my
muse. I'll admit it.

Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-06 10:23 pm   Permalink

I started working on a new piece over the last week. Here are some progress shots.
Some favourite mugs scattered about for reference. The girl is based on a porceline wahine bust from my collection.
See her in the picture above.

and finally tonights labours.

Still along way to go but it's only an 8x10 canvas. Thanks for looking, I will post more as I make progress.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation