FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki carvings by Tabu.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki carvings by Tabu.
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 6:01 pm   Permalink

This is the first posting of my wood carving projects. Thanks to all the other carvers who share their work and advice to inspire and aid us new kids. I don't get a great deal of time to devout to carving with this darn winter thing and my job and all. So to start here are a couple of the main pieces I've done over the past year.

Here is the first large carving I have ever attempted. This pole is carved from a nice ash log donated by my neighbor. I only used chisels and mallet. Ash is very, very hard and as a result this pole took a long time to carve. You can see in the
first shot that I had intended it to be a cannibal theme. I screwed up the victim so he became a tongue.

The finished pole. After sanding I used a blow torch to darken the grain. I stained it with a waterbased rosewood and finished him in tung oil.

The next up was this panel carved from alder. I saw an exhibition of west coast native masks and was impressed with how glassy smooth sanded alder looked. I luckily found this plank at a specialty wood shop in my area.
I wanted this one to be a goof on the melanesian style.
Here it is sanded and stained. I used a black stain in the creases which worked much better than the micro torch on the thin detail.

And the final carving again finished with tung oil. For the eyes I sanded the outer layer off a clam shell and cut two semi circles from the mother of pearl. A dremel was needed to grind the eyes to fit. If you try this be prepared for a great burning hair smell.

Thanks for having a look. I also have two paintings posted in the" other crafts" section.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 6:12 pm   Permalink

WOW! great work! really like them. you got some skills for sure.
hey you said "us kids" are you a youngen like me here? if so that is pretty cool.
and another canadian carver is always interesting to know about.
hope you have a great time on TC here

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 6:15 pm   Permalink

be prepared to cough up blood and/or get cancer if you don't wear a mask when carving shell. it's like tiny shards of glass that you breath into your lungs. please be careful.

the carvings are top notch. good work.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 7:35 pm   Permalink

Hey Tabu! What's that blue vehicle in the background?

Nice work on the tiki's, by the way!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 7:36 pm   Permalink

PS: Listen to PDrake.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-22 9:11 pm   Permalink

Very Nice Carvings! Really like the Mask!

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 05:35 am   Permalink

welcome aboard Tabu! I can see just from these first two carvings that we are going
to enjoy updates on this thread. The detail in the mask is very nice, and the
would-be cannibal is a fine effort as well. Any other wood-work that we haven't
seen?

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 05:49 am   Permalink

Thanks for all response. Not to worry I use a dust mask when sanding or grinding anything. No other wood working projects started, but I am on a hiatus from work so maybe next week.
The blue vehicle is a 1980 Bajaj Cheetak scooter(worked when I got it). If I can get the wiring sorted out this spring I will consider giving it a mild tiki themed make over.
Sorry tiki duddy I was only using the term "kids" relative to experience. I'm in the twilight of my 30's. I am Canadian however. You are right, anthing tiki in Canada is worth getting excited about. Ontario is a barren land almost free of tiki. I imagine Manitoba to be the same.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 07:23 am   Permalink

Really nice Stuff Tabu. I Love the stain and the Eyes are Killer.Nice job.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flynny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 08:01 am   Permalink

Nice work
Best Regards
Flynny

View Profile of flynny Send a personal message to flynny  Email flynny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 12:12 pm   Permalink

Cool work...that extra mile and time on cleaning up and a finish really makes a good carving pop at the end, as that last photo proves.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 5:48 pm   Permalink

Keep up the good work on the masks! Your design and execution is excellent!

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 5:30 pm   Permalink

Very nice! Congrats!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 6:08 pm   Permalink

Nice detail on those carvings Tabu, and I'm gad to see another Canuk getting into tiki!

Ontario has some good spots for tiki hunting, there's a great antique mall close to Stratford that has released a few goodies when I've been in the area, and a huge flea market/antique mall close to Toronto where I scored quite a few goodies (and passed up a few items - couldn't fit them all into my carry-on luggage!).

Keep up the carving, I'm looking forward to seeing more from you in the future.

-Tw

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 10:37 pm   Permalink

Excellent firsts, Tabu. Welcome to the board!

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation