FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki carvings by Tabu.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki carvings by Tabu.
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 4:58 pm   Permalink

Started a new piece today. I'm using pear wood this time. I guess like most fruit woods it is very hard. Hand is sore from just scribing in the outline. Should allow for nice detail though. I will post an update mid week.
Thanks for looking and all the encouraging comments.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 5:07 pm   Permalink

nice. you should look into a wecheer/foredom recip carver. a little easier on the hands.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-26 06:13 am   Permalink

Man, that panel is offthahook! This one looks like it's shaping up right nicely as well!! keep up the fantastic work.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-26 08:09 am   Permalink

Cool, it looks like the king of the angry monkeys. He gets a crown instead of a fez.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-29 7:24 pm   Permalink

Only had a couple of hours to work on this new panel. So far I'm finding the pear wood really nice to work with. It's very dense and hard but doesn't splinter too much and it's fairly easy to cut nice clean lines.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-30 01:55 am   Permalink

Tabu, your tiki is really looking good, I Love the design, very original, very good.
When using ghe chisels, you need to be Very mindful of the grain and Not carve against it, That is why you see all those rough jagged edges in your details. It takes practise so don't expect it to happen overnight.
Keep up the good work.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-30 09:43 am   Permalink

Thanks Ben for the tip. Keeping that in mind should eventually save some time in sanding.
Pdrake I might consider picking up a Foredom tool this summer. That would also give me a chance to try working a little bit in stone as well. I've been drooling over all the work coming from you stone carvers lately. Awesome stuff.
Thanks also for the kind comments.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation