[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events BenZarts Coon-Tiki 2- Pictures
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
BenZarts Coon-Tiki 2- Pictures
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-23 7:37 pm   Permalink

Looks like we have a date of July 28th and 29th. Those of you who were there last year remember Nawger-Nob in Townsend, Tennessee. Thats where we have rented their classroom, in the Smoky Mountain Woodcarvers store area. we are limited to 12 students and will probably be carving a Moai this time since they seem to be riding high in popularity. Size will be 18"to 24" .
The website for the event is
http://www.coontiki.hukilau.org/
Space is limited so sign up early and you can sign in to the Coon Tiki website with Questions or comments.
HappyHappyHappy_________

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2007-07-31 09:59 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 9:16 pm   Permalink

http://www.coontiki.hukilau.org/

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-26 04:13 am   Permalink

Thanks Skully

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-26 06:43 am   Permalink

OH Boy!!!! Gotta check the calender!!

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-27 3:25 pm   Permalink

Hmmm...Tennessee in July. I'm thinking about it.

When will more details be available?

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-28 02:17 am   Permalink

We're working out the details now so they will be posted soon. Stay tuned

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-28 06:16 am   Permalink

The class space is reserved for the weekend. The class takes place at Smoky Mountain Woodcarvers. They are all set up for this stuff.

Ben plans to teach a Moai with hand tools (chisels). At first I thought that seemed a bit simple, but if you look at Ben's carving threads and see the Octopus Moai and his work, you know he puts a lot more into a moai than most.

This is going to be a 2 day intensive class with 100% attention to the students. Everyone will get one on one instruction from Ben and the goal is to really make great progress. Basement Kahuna will be there as well I am sure and be ready to help share his techniques.

I am looking for a cabin rental company right now. I really encourage everyone to share a large cabin. 3-4 bedrooms and enjoy the chance to spend time with other carvers. Plus, you can stay there as cheaply in a cabin in the mountains that way rather than a cheap motel room.

Evenings will be social time of course.

Doing it in July means summer. If you want, you can make a week of it and plan a vacation around the trip. I am more than happy to give advice and suggestions if you want to do that.

The site is up for you to reserve your space.

A site for ideas about the area

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2007-03-28 07:10 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-28 11:53 am   Permalink

I started a thread on the cabin rentals here. This is information for making a reservation. Once you reserve a cabin, we can help you get people to share the cabin if you need it. If you are going to come to Coon Tiki, I urge you to reserve a cabin now before they get taken. They have a 30 day cancellation policy, but, we ought to be able to help you get it rented to someone else if you can't make it. I would reserve them myself if I could. Reserving one for Ben is my first priority.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-16 07:41 am   Permalink

How many openings are still available?

Every time I try to access one of Swanky's websites at work I get the "Banned Website- your actions will be reported to...." message. Swanky is going to get me in trouble.

If there are still openings, I'm going to plan on attending.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-16 07:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-16 07:41, JohnnyP wrote:
How many openings are still available?

Every time I try to access one of Swanky's websites at work I get the "Banned Website- your actions will be reported to...." message. Swanky is going to get me in trouble.

If there are still openings, I'm going to plan on attending.

JP

Oooh, I'm banned! I'm banned? No idea why. The ISP may have content they filter and they go by the host, not the actual site. Try
www.bambooben.com and see if it lets you in there. If not, they are just blanket filtering and they suck...

Plenty of openings. Plan on coming down. I have a lot of people who have said they would come, but, until they register, it does not count.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 6:53 pm   Permalink

I added images of the piece Ben will be teaching to the website, for those who may be unfamiliar. A real challenge, but Ben is a great teacher and Basement Kahuna is as able as assitant as any. A short list of tools you will need are there as well. The class is 1/4 full now. Lots of people have said they were interested, but have not registered yet.

Coon Tiki 2007

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-04 06:36 am   Permalink

Hey gang. The class is now half full and we are coming into the home stretch.

I consider myself a beginner as a carver. I have started one carving and struggled with it. That's the inspiration for Coon Tiki. Last year, in that one weekend, I learned a tremendous amount. I know I will learn more this time too.

The piece for the class is an opportunity for Ben to show us a lot of things. Whether you are new to carving or an old hand, this class should help you along. I know Ben is eager to spend lots of time helping everyone and guiding us along.

You just can't beat, one on one, in person learning. Anything you have wondered about in your work, you can be sure Ben has a good answer and can show you how.

Basement Kahuna has a wealth of knowledge as well. History and techniques for finishes along with incredible carving skills.

I'm looking forward to another weekend carving and learning and getting to know people.

Coon Tiki 2007

Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-16 8:27 pm   Permalink

Wow, this looks like it would be so much fun! i would actually REALLY like to come, the thing would be to convince my mom and that will be difficult. dont think its impossible though.
ill keep trying

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-06-27 12:58 pm   Permalink

I am really bummed. I am traveling for the next month and get back in the states on the 26th. If I try and come up there two days later my wahine will kill me. I will keep checking to see if it fills up, if I can talk her into a Smokey Mountain Getaway I may try and register and find accommodations at the last minute. If I bring it up now and she smells Tiki......

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 5:11 pm   Permalink

There are a few openings left for Coon Tiki 2007.

If you did not hear, Ben is giving the class project piece he carves to one of the students. One of them is going home with a killer Benzart carving! That's worth the registration right there!

These are images of the original.

Coon Tiki 2007

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation