FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki WORLD'S LARGEST LAVA LAMP (fingers crossed)
WORLD'S LARGEST LAVA LAMP (fingers crossed)
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 03:14 am   Permalink

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TRAVEL/01/14/offbeat.lava.lamp.reut/index.html

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-01-15 03:19 ]

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 05:09 am   Permalink

Brilliant idea!
(But I hope the end result isn't built slap in the middle of the road)

Perhaps the Tiki Gardens statue could be enlarged by 20x to create business in the local area?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 06:34 am   Permalink

I think it's funny that some people there are worried that Hippies may just sit there for hours.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-15 06:34, Turbogod wrote:
I think it's funny that some people there are worried that Hippies may just sit there for hours.

giant lava lamp or not - one must remain ever vigilant lest hippies one day come & "just sit for hours" in your community too!

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 11:42 am   Permalink

Apparently it WILL be in the middle of the road.

It looks like those 3 hippies have been there all day!

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2003-01-15 11:44 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 11:55 am   Permalink

damn hippies!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 10:18 am   Permalink

I have to wonder how possible this is. I mean, the physics of a small lamp are easy, but for the huge one to work, you have to have a whole differnt approach. The wax blobs would still be the same size, not beach ball sized. The liquid would cool the balls quickly and they would likely drop back down after floating up maybe a foot. All in all, it just is not likely to work. I want to see even a 2 foot lava lamp. I bet it would not work well either. 60 feet, no way!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 11:01 am   Permalink

I ssaw one of the BIG (not quite 3 feet) ones in a store called Dapy on Universal City walk a few years ago. It worked ok, but the water was kind of murky and dirty looking. I have the 52 oz. lamp, very cool and lava-ee.

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 1:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-16 10:18, Swanky wrote:
I have to wonder how possible this is. I mean, the physics of a small lamp are easy, but for the huge one to work, you have to have a whole differnt approach. The wax blobs would still be the same size, not beach ball sized. The liquid would cool the balls quickly and they would likely drop back down after floating up maybe a foot. All in all, it just is not likely to work. I want to see even a 2 foot lava lamp. I bet it would not work well either. 60 feet, no way!

Somehow I can imagine Thor Heyerdahl receiving a similar lecture about balsa rafts.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-01-16 13:13 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2006-01-26 8:27 pm   Permalink

Great news, all you hippies and hipsters!!

Giant Lava Lamp Approved!

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Soap Lake to spend $100,000 to install lava lamp

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SOAP LAKE -- The Soap Lake City Council has agreed to allocate $100,000 in tourism money for installation of the town's 50-foot-tall lava lamp.

The council rejected the measure last week, but Monday approved spending nearly half the $206,000 in tourism-account funds to install the 52,000-pound lamp.

"We needed to warm to the idea," said Councilman Barney Berg, who changed his vote.

The lamp was donated to Soap Lake in 2004 by Target Corp., which had used it in a display in New York City's Times Square. The dismantled novelty item has been stored in an Ephrata warehouse since its arrival from the East about a year ago.

The city donated land for the lamp last week.

Supporters of the project hope the lamp will be in place by early summer.

People used to travel to this town of about 1,275 people -- 150 miles east of Seattle and 110 miles west of Spokane -- to take mineral waters and coat themselves with healing mud.

The waters aren't the draw they once were, and lamp supporters hope it will rekindle tourism.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2006-01-27 12:18 am   Permalink

"As of noon on Saturday January 22, 2005, the Target 50 foot Giant Lava Lamp remains attached to Times Square Building in New York City."

another article
if the pictures dont show up, look here
pretty exciting.. i'm willing to drive 100 miles east to see this!

[ This Message was edited by: dogbytes 2006-01-27 09:57 ]

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 06:13 am   Permalink

Cool - lava lamps!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 2:58 pm   Permalink

*cough* Here dude...just passin' it...*cough*

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation