FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Polynesian/Oceanic Culture...Keeping it REAL(image heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Polynesian/Oceanic Culture...Keeping it REAL(image heavy)
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-29 2:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-29 12:26, TikiSan wrote:
Are all the photographs in the reprint books black and white?

Yes, and the plates are pretty small - about 4" x 5 1/2".

Quote:

On 2007-03-29 13:33, Swanky wrote:

These are the coolest swizzle sticks I have ever seen. Sorry, I had to side track a little bit...

Seeing these pieces still wrapped up, in person would just send shivers up my spine.

The staff gods were some of Oldman's favourite items. The Cook Islands pieces went to Otago Museum, Dunedin - not a city many visitors to NZ stop in but well worth a visit. I spent two afternoons there on my last trip down South. They also have one of the few large stone moai in museum collections.
The staff god on the far right of that pic belongs to Canterbury Museum (my "local" which I mentioned earlier who keep all their stuff in the basement) because it was one of Otago's unwanted "duplicates", but is on loan to the Museum in Rarotonga, where I saw it last July! Nearly all the good (ie not reproduction) pieces in Rarotonga were on loan from NZ museums.

I've plugged this book before but will do it again seeing it fits in this thread...I finally got my own copy a couple of weeks ago and it's one of the best I've ever seen:

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-29 3:45 pm   Permalink

I will definitely check into getting these books for myself. I always reference traditional pieces for my own paintings. Ive received as gifts recently a couple of books on Oceanic Art that have images Ive not seen before.

One is caled Oceanic Art, published in Italy in 1966 by Fratelli Fabbri, Milan

The other is a exhibit book from the Metropolitan Museum of Art 1969

Theres one more I found thrifting but I will have to dig for it. I do like the big color plates of artifacts, very inspirational.
Nothing beats great reference materials!

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-31 05:58 am   Permalink

look how normal this Kava kava man is. (discusses more than fifty works, ranging from robust stone images to refined wooden sculpture)$ 15.56 It is a related book to the "Pacific encounters" $30.24
here

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation