FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Soapstone + Other Stuff!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Soapstone + Other Stuff!
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-11 4:02 pm   Permalink

Hi Tipua, Very nice soapstone works!

I tried Soapstone too, but found the details were too hard to accomplish and I kept breaking thepieces at the end. So I moved to River Rock and Some Jade. I am tring stones iin the 5 hardness range, some nice pieces on ebay. Keep it up!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 04:34 am   Permalink

Tipua

I just love the triple head! You have pulled that one off magnificently! Been thinking of making a triple head pendant - less 3D than your work of art - but am stalled in the design process

Awesome, well done - love it. . . .

Where is some more?

KS

View Profile of kiwishaman Send a personal message to kiwishaman  Goto the website of kiwishaman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 07:37 am   Permalink

Just thinking too that you might try plain old cement, plaster or such right from Home Depot or Lowe's. It might be the perfect finish for your hebel stuff and certainly readily available. You could also use tile grout which can be obtained in many different colors. Just mix it up and brush it on and smooth it out with a damp sponge.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 8:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks Queen Amy Kamehameha!
I've actually found that soapstone can take quite a bit of detail, but you're definitely right in that soapstone tends to be a tad too breakable. It makes doing a very detailed piece that much more scarier as you never know how close you are to the breaking point until you break it! It's also quite unforgiving if you drop it too!

It will never be as good as say jade, but it IS CHEAP!

Thanks too Kiwishaman!
There was no planning at all with the triple faced head. It just came from my lack of symmetrical skill.
A triple head pendant would be interesting. Humans just love the number 3 don't they?

And thanks Benzart!
You're advice is always very welcome!
Cement or tile grout (different colors you say! Hmmm...) seems very do-able. I'll have to fight my laziness & forgetfulness and check out my local hardware store.

Cheers everyone!

View Profile of Tipua Send a personal message to Tipua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-17 01:58 am   Permalink

Aloha all!

Just thought I'd drop in some interesting pics of some soapstone carvings (by other people... I've done nothing new myself!):

Here's some African Long Eared Ladies

And here's a beautiful soapstone carving of an eagle I found on
www.alaskanativearts.com - a site for northwest American tribal art.

For those of you out there who are thinking that I'm only posting these these pics on a site devoted to Tiki because they're soapstone, and I like soapstone - well you are right - but also please keep in mind Thor Heyerdahl's theory expounded in his book "American Indians in the Pacific".

He proposed that the Pacific (specifically Polynesia) was peopled not from Asia, but from the Americas.
He particularly points to the similarities in culture between northwest American coast Haida people and the Maori of New Zealand.
I won't go into the specifics, and in fact he was proven wrong when the genetics has since shown otherwise (Maori mitochondrial DNA can be tracked back to Taiwan. see www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s823810.htm ), but there's no reason why Polynesians could not have visited the Haida, or vise versa. They were both great sea-faring people (it has been proven that polynesians did make it to South America on at least one occasion - Polynesian chicken bones were found in Chile.
See www.newscientist.com/article/dn11987-polynesians-beat-columbus-to-the-americas-.html )

Also, check out this out:

It's quite close to something Maori in my opinion (although there's no spirals), even the colours are Maori, but it's Haida.
Interesting hey?

View Profile of Tipua Send a personal message to Tipua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation