FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Any aspiring writers out there?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Any aspiring writers out there?
Brian

Posted: 2007-04-01 08:49 am   Permalink

Hey, I just wanted to see if there are any other aspiring writers out there who'd like to swap stories for a little you-edit-me, I-edit-you action? I'm starting to get involved in a writing group out here in the real world, but I'd like to meet some other writers who share my love of Tiki. I'd like someone who's into the scene to read my tiki-centric ramblings before I foist them upon the general public.

So, would anyone like to start a little on-line Tiki writer's group with me?

View Profile of Brian Send a personal message to Brian  Email Brian     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 09:17 am   Permalink

I'm a perspiring writer, does that count?

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-01 3:44 pm   Permalink

I'm glad to hear people are still thinking of writing fiction based on Tiki. If you look at the old threads on "Is There Such A Thing As A Tiki Novel?" you will see that some people on TC tried to get some momentum going for a Tiki Writers Group a while back...but judging by how the thread died out, I'm assuming it fizzled.

Here it is:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10163&forum=1&vpost=104899&hilite=typee

I've been thinking of doing a tiki project myself, but I'm also working on my PhD in English Lit and teaching writing classes on the side, so I don't have a lot of time.

However, if you finish a short story or a few chapters of a novel, or even a first act of a script that focuses on Tiki...and want feedback...feel free to e-mail it to me and I'll give you a free critique.

You can check out my website at starvingwriter.com to see some of my older writing and check out some links to writers resources.

Good luck with the writing!

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 3:59 pm   Permalink

Hey Brian!
Right on topic! Great to hear there are other aspiring writers and creative types out there!
Been working on a children's book since about '03,and have started to flesh out key moments in the story,but haven't attached them yet. I have also written a story for children entitled "the Sun visits the Happy Hut"..More paintings than writings have sprouted from these narratives,but i've been slowly trying to finish this story. You TCers are so great with the brain trust/brainstorming thang! If you're interested, I could get the story typed into the computer in the near future. If you want to see the visual part of the story....
(is this spamming? i hope not!)
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19904&forum=18&start=0&445
Chongolio's quite a storyteller as well! We'll have to see if he'll join us all!
OH CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOONGO!!!

www.KENRUZIC.COM is Open to the Public!
(Which i update every so often)
I'm on FaceBook too-Go cheggitout!)

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 4:05 pm   Permalink

I would love to be part of a TC writers group if it could actually be put together. If you'd like to see something right away I still have the story I wrote for a writing project that was started a couple of years ago that never happened. Let me know what happens.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 4:19 pm   Permalink

Anybody read "Call it Courage" by Armstrong Sperry? It's the classic young adult novel with a Tiki theme. It got some top-notch awards when they used to give awards to good books. Sperry was a great writer, and did some other excellent juvinalia about South Seas Adventures. He was also a frickin' trick artist, too, illustrating a lot of his own work.

Anybody ever heard of Captain Maine Read? He was an astounding 19th century author of seafaring/adventure/South Seas works.

Hey, I've got two short stories about adventures in the Northern Canadian Woods that are funny as hell. (The "Bob's Big Talk" series) They ain't Tiki, but they're pretty fun to read, and real outdoorsy.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 4:19 pm   Permalink

Would there be any way to legally protect our literary gems online?
Just wondering, in case some of us get serious about this most important tropi..I mean topic of Tiki lit.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 4:22 pm   Permalink

Posting them online guarantees a copyright date on the text. In fact, it's a good thing to do.

It does, however, open them up to lifting; somebody snatching your idea and changing it enough to avoid copyright issues.

Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-01 8:54 pm   Permalink

For those of you who want to protect your writing, you can download the forms for filing your copyright with the government at http://www.copyright.gov/forms/. Screenplays would fall under Performing Arts (Form PA), but short stories or other fictional works would fall under Form TX. You will have to pay a fee and wait several months for your certificate.

Technically, you have copyright as soon as your thoughts are put down on paper or some other substantial medium. However, for legal necessity, it's good to file a copyright. This lasts for something like 75 years after your death...or longer if you have a managed estate that handles your copyrights and maintains them after your death in a sort of trust.

Works outside of copyright are public domain. If you go to Project Gutenberg and check out the works there, they are all within public domain. The authors are long dead and the estates are not managing the works so there is no legal impediment. You could re-print copies of them without legal hassle and illustrate them however you wanted.

I think it would be fantastic if a bunch of Tiki illustrators did a new version of Herman Melville's Typee with illustrations throughout, for example.

Here's Melville's novel for free if you haven't read it:

http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/results

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Tom 2007-04-01 21:20 ]

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-01 9:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-01 15:59, little lost tiki wrote:
Hey Brian!
Right on topic! Great to hear there are other aspiring writers and creative types out there!
Been working on a children's book since about '03,and have started to flesh out key moments in the story,but haven't attached them yet. I have also written a story for children entitled "the Sun visits the Happy Hut"..More paintings than writings have sprouted from these narratives,but i've been slowly trying to finish this story. You TCers are so great with the brain trust/brainstorming thang! If you're interested, I could get the story typed into the computer in the near future. If you want to see the visual part of the story....
(is this spamming? i hope not!)
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19904&forum=18&start=0&445
Chongolio's quite a storyteller as well! We'll have to see if he'll join us all!
OH CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOONGO!!!

I bought a fun Tiki styled children's book at last year's Tiki Oasis. You can check it out at
http://www.mutualpublishing.com/bookinfo.aspx?bookID=261

I think there's a great market for more Tiki styled children's books and I love your art. Sounds great.

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Tom 2007-04-01 21:33 ]

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 11:36 pm   Permalink

Um, yeah, that's my book.

I'm trying to get a sequel published called "Bad Banana Versus the Veegans" about a bad-assed motocycle riding spam-munching Hawaiian banana whose daughter is kidnapped by a couple of cute Islander hippie girls to be placed on the menu at their smoothie shop.

He rescues her by...

well, you'll just have to read it. It's hard getting the thing published, it's a bit outside the norm.

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 11:51 pm   Permalink

Cammo, I have that "Courage" book, great Polynesian kids tale. Your book sounds like Veggie tales goes to hawaii, sounds very entertaining!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-02 12:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-01 23:36, Cammo wrote:
Um, yeah, that's my book.

Sorry, Cammo...I shoulda known. The TC handles are fun but they throw me off sometimes. Good luck with getting that next project out there. It sounds fun!

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-02 05:26 am   Permalink

I am into writing, and really appreciate the reference to copyrighting as I have a couple of female characters I want to do that with before I move forward with writing. I like the idea of a TC Writer's Group....count me in.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 07:28 am   Permalink

My characters are better than Veggie Tales because they have arms and legs!

What do you folks want to do, should I post my "Bob's Big Talk" story here or what???

I've also written a 67,000 word novel with a Girl Pirate dream sequence in Chapter 8, but that's a bit longish.

And Armstrong Sperry is my hero. He wrote lots of Tiki/South Seas stuff, y'all should check him out or try to find more stuff beyond "Call it Courage". He actually wrote Polynesia tour books for kids!

Here's his website, it even has a Tapa cloth background!!!

http://www.ogram.org/sperry/

[ This Message was edited by: Cammo 2007-04-02 07:31 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation