FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Comments Solicited - My First Post!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Comments Solicited - My First Post!
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 01:46 am   Permalink

Whatsay we all do a common website of tiki carvings for sale? We could standardize shipping and put it in every tiki link page known to man. Tikiguild.net? There is so much demand for quality work right now. Plus we could cut costs by all chipping in on our "protection" money to Leroy Schmaltz, da main guy. I guess the boys my neck of the woods would be called "da Mason-Dixon Crew"....

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 03:50 am   Permalink

Oh Yeah. Da Mason-Dixon crew in the Hizzy.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 08:12 am   Permalink

I see C'Al and Wayne but who's Don?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
7TiKiS
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-16 08:40 am   Permalink

Ooops... my bad.

I meant Leroy S.

View Profile of 7TiKiS Send a personal message to 7TiKiS  Email 7TiKiS Goto the website of 7TiKiS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 08:55 am   Permalink

I'd say Wayne would hafta be Don. He's been 'doin dis too long not to be a main guy. Next question?...who gets made and who gets whacked?

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 09:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-16 01:46, Basement Kahuna wrote:
...chipping in on our "protection" money

Ahhhh ha ha ha ha ha, Carvers chipping in! Ahh ha ha ha ha

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 11:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-16 08:55, Basement Kahuna wrote:
I'd say Wayne would hafta be Don. He's been 'doin dis too long not to be a main guy. Next question?...who gets made and who gets whacked?

How could you say that??? Leroy IS the Don...he was carving when Wayne was still in diapers!! Wayne of course would have to be a made Lieutenant because he's been there for a while and did originate a distinctive style!! Now who gets whacked??? Unless I get any better at carving, I would fear that it could be me turning up in a shallow grave on the Jersey flats...

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 11:57 am   Permalink

I have to agree with Johntiki here. Leroy DEFINED the Polynesian Pop era. He's definitely a pioneer and probably influenced many a carver.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
7TiKiS
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-16 2:12 pm   Permalink

Ooops....

I would like to thank everyone for their warm comments and input. I also would like to take this opportunity to credit the people that are helping to shape my concept of Tiki carving.

No doubt most of the people viewing the images I provided are knowledgable about the different styles of the "masters" in todays tiki carving genre... so pardon me for acknowledging their influence here, as no doubt you were quite able to see them for yourselves in the carvings I did.

Giving Credit where credit is due:

First and foremost - Crazy Al at tikimania.com had a large influence in many of the features of my first attempts. You can see his fine work at
http://www.tikimania.com
No doubt, C'Al will be an inspiration to many generations of future carvers all over the world. Detail and fresh ideas in composure equate to some of the most elaborate and beautiful works of art in contemporary tiki.

Secondly is Charlie Knight of http://www.palmtiki.com, his mastery of the circular eye is remarkable and a strong influence. Charlie is a great guy, and has a really cool shop located in Gulf Breeze Fl. If you are in the area stop by. Charlie is also doing some genuinely beautiful work in solid cypress now. I saw a huge turtle and a giant blue crab in his shop last December.

Last is the work of Wayne Coombs, I grew up in Melbourne Fl. and watched Wayne carve tikis on occasion. His unique style has become an icon of Tiki for many and has undoubtedly been a great inspiration to many of us "would be carvers". You can view his works for sale at http://www.maitiki.com

How unfortuanate though, that only 160 original carvings from the pre-british contact era of hawaii still exist today. Had King Liholiho not had dinner with his wife there may still have been thousands of them for us to use as inspiration and learning material. ref. Hawaiian Sulpture by J. Cox. pp 21.

But for the few pieces that did survive, I am thankful. Although I can't give the artist proper credit, the kona style tiki is by far the grandest sculpture of all in detail and design (IMHO).

Thanks again folks,

Aloha

[ This Message was edited by: 7TiKiS on 2003-01-16 16:13 ]

View Profile of 7TiKiS Send a personal message to 7TiKiS  Email 7TiKiS Goto the website of 7TiKiS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 8:35 pm   Permalink

I said Leroy is DA BOSS. He is the one to whom all the Dons pay tribute...Nobody does it better or ever will. Wayne-Don of the East Coast. Make no mistake, Leroy Scmaltz is YODA to me. He made me wanna carve wood. I bought NIGHT OF THE TIKI and said "This is it." I am mesmerized by work, and how prolific and varietal his body of work...he is the definition of the word artist.

Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-17 12:39 am   Permalink

Leroy is the One, fogetaboudit . If you don't agree , We are gonna have a "sit-down" .

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-17 08:15 am   Permalink

Who is Don?

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-17 10:24 am   Permalink

You don't watch enough mob movies.

crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-17 10:26 am   Permalink

I wish I had a dollar for ever minute of stories have listened to from Leroy ! He’s da man.
However , I thing we should call this guy ‘Crazy’ for going in my direction... I wouldn’t wish that on anybody.I dig the flattery.....

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Ambience
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-17 10:26 am   Permalink

Kahuna Kalai.

turn up your speakers and click on this: http://www.dirtyradio.net/~tylero/thrift_store_radio.mp3

View Profile of Captain Ambience Send a personal message to Captain Ambience  Email Captain Ambience Goto the website of Captain Ambience     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation