[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Don the Beachcomber, Chicago
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Don the Beachcomber, Chicago
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-22 7:26 pm   Permalink

one more photo came across my desk today - it's actually the embers supper club but if you look carefully, next door was don's and you can see the neon sign lit up....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-01 06:29 am   Permalink

Found this DtB Chicago token. I've seen these in my Knoxville research and always assumed they were a 19th century thing. I mean, making your own money to buy stuff in a bar? I had the DtB Waikiki Aka Dala for a long time and figured it was a Hawaii before statehood thing. I would guess this is from the 40s, but just a guess. When drinks at Don's were 60-100 cents, a 1/20th dollar token wasn't as useless as it would be today. How one got these tokens I would like to know. I have visions of a slot machine in the lobby...

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-03 3:32 pm   Permalink

Swanky,

Very cool token. I spotted this fairly rare old postcard from DTB Chicago showing the Cannibal Room bar, the Zombie Room, the Tahitian Room and the old neon sign.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-16 07:24 am   Permalink

I finally managed to find one of the oversized postcards from the Chicago Don the Beachcomber.

Here are some close up scans of the individual scenes.

The Cannibal Room bar.

Zombie Room

Tahitian Room

Neon Sign

Another photo of the sign.

And a few old tourist photos of ladies in front of the sign from ebay.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-18 9:47 pm   Permalink

Congrats! - and WHY, oh brethren, was the Cannibal Room called the Cannibal Room?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-19 04:07 am   Permalink

Another great find D.C. Would the name have anything to do with the carved poles on the bar?

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-19 4:59 pm   Permalink

Did they have cannibal tikis in the Cannibal Room? ...Like the headhunter ones at La Mariana?

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-19 5:54 pm   Permalink

That's right Bob, you just won a new car!!

The Cannibal Room was named for the cannibal carvings on the poles as seen in these close ups from another postcard in my collecti0n.

DC

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-20 05:34 am   Permalink

And for the cannibal trio behind the bar as well...

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-23 09:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-01-16 07:24, Dustycajun wrote:
I finally managed to find one of the oversized postcards from the Chicago Don the Beachcomber.

Here are some close up scans of the individual scenes.

The Cannibal Room bar.

Zombie Room

Tahitian Room

Neon Sign

Another photo of the sign.

And a few old tourist photos of ladies in front of the sign from ebay.

DC

Wonder if this was before or after Eli supplied them with Tiki's
as the article in the Aku Aku post said?

I think I have an Eli photo that says Zombie Room.

Will have to put all this together for my future book.

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Tiki No,etc....

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-23 11:04 am   Permalink

Bamboo Ben,

The back of the postcard reads:

"Recipient of the coveted "Holiday Magazine Award for Dining Distinctions" as one of the outstanding restaurants in the United States for fifteen consecutive years."

The Holiday Magazine awards started in 1952 so that puts the postcard at 1967 (or later). This would be after the 1961 article in the Aku Aku thread about Eli shipping Tiki's to the Chicago Don the Beachcomber.

DC

Tiki Shaker

Posted: 2017-07-09 4:39 pm   Permalink

Ad for Don's

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation