FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Tonga Room and Hurricane Bar ( *Image Heavy* ), San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
The Tonga Room and Hurricane Bar ( *Image Heavy* ), San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-03 11:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

TropicDrinkBoy wrote:[/i]
Taboo Dan, Trad'r Bill and others, thanks for the great posts of Tonga Room memorabilia! After seeing your posts I'm making plans to return in the next day or two.
I've lived in the bay area over 16 years now but only visited the Tonga Room once, a few months ago.

Hey TropicDrinkBoy! Thanks!
Glad your on here checking things out and glad you like the Tonga Room!
16 years!! Get over there and enjoy it while you can!

Living up here in BC, we don't get to come down that often but the last time I was there we loved it! It was a bit before the remodel they had and we thought the place was amazing! The thunder and lightening with the downpour along with the drums is great!

They even had the wandering around photographer who takes pictures of patrons while on their visit and will make you pictures before you leave! I thought that was great! We ended up getting a Fairmont Hotel photo holder with a picture of my fiance and I at a table drinking from mugs and also a couple matchbooks with our picture on it.

It was quite an experience and we loved it. I remember staying there all through Happy Hour and then till after dinner. Great place!!

Since we are on the topic, here's a few more collectibles from the Tonga Room I've got.

Here's one of the Tonga's glasses that Trad'r Bill showed in his awesome menu:

This served the "Hurricane" and so obviously is called a Hurricane Glass.

Here's the menu again:

Here's a close up of the image:

Not sure of the age of these glasses but I would say late 1970's or 1980's like Trad'r Bill said about the menu.

This is a different version of one of their glasses:

I don't know what drink this served or if it served the Hurricane as well.

A little closer with a cloth so you can see graphic:

This glass is a little bit shorter than the one before.

Next we have the 3-Face Bucket Mug that served their "Mai Tai":

This is the tall and skinny version as opposed to the easier to find shorter and wider mug. There is also another version that is all glazed with the same color scheme as above.

Here is a neat and small bowl that probably served their "Wharfside Daiquiris":

It is very small and I don't see too much alcohol going in this by the time you have the ice! These do come in larger sizes from the Tonga Room. Has their marking along one side:

Next up with the mug that served their "Rangoon Ruby":

Marked on the bottom.

And here's picture of the two above mugs together to show the size difference:

The Ruby mug is not a big mug itself so you can sure see the difference.

And last up, I'll show the tall Drum mug again just because you can't see enough of these beautiful mugs:

I'm not sure what drink came in this mug. I always liked the bottom of this one because it says "Tonga at the Fairmont". Sounds like a dance or something!!

Anyone got one of these Drum mugs from the Tonga with the handle they can post here? That's another great mug from an iconic location!

That's it!
Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-09 12:26 pm   Permalink

I'm impressed by the broad spectrum of mugs that the Tonga Room has offered over its many years of operation. I especially like the Rangoon Ruby and Drum mugs. Definitely not your typical Tiki mugs! Thanks for posting more of your Tonga Room collection.

I'm planning a three day weekend and will drop in the Tonga Room on a Friday at 5 for Happy Hour and the cheap buffet. I'll try to pick up a Volcano (Lava) Bowl while I'm there since their web site (www.tongaroom.com/gifts) claims they sell them. The first time I was there they didn't have any on hand that they could part with. I know it's not a collectable item and can be bought elsewhere but it will save me a few bucks on S&H if I can pick one up in person. I just hope I don't burn the house down!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-09 9:14 pm   Permalink

Really love looking at the old photos of this place. One of the few bars I wish I could of seen in its "glory days". Wanted to add these shakers as well. There were lined moais posted previously but not these as far as I can tell:

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Ginger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-09 11:36 pm   Permalink

Here is a picture from the Tonga Room circa 1970:

The kid with the glasses, 2nd from the right is the one and only Atomic Tiki Punk.

View Profile of Jungle Ginger Send a personal message to Jungle Ginger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 9:06 pm   Permalink

Jungle Ginger,

What a great old photo of ATP and the family, it's always nice to see the early moments of Tiki inspiration! Reminded me of this photo of me, my two boys and their Grandmother on their first trip to the Tonga Room for Happy Hour.

I found this old Happy Hour drink menu that somehow fell into my wife's purse on that visit. Some nice graphics and old photos on the cover.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Magnus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-31 10:57 pm   Permalink

Popsugar currently have a great offer - 50% off a 3 course dinner and 1 cocktail at Tonga Room - 2 days left to buy the deal, which is valid until December 3... check it out!

http://bit.ly/lKiQIS

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Magnus 2011-05-31 22:59 ]

View Profile of Trader Magnus Send a personal message to Trader Magnus  Goto the website of Trader Magnus ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 11:52 pm   Permalink

I found this pretty cool shot of the Tonga Room sign, dated 1953. Gotta love those classic cars:

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheTongaRoom

Posted: 2011-07-28 11:54 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

This is the Tonga Room calling all die hard tiki lovers!!!
We are gathering up all of the people who enjoy the Tonga Room and want to let you know how much we care about you all. Since you have been devoted fans of our establishment we have currently secured ourselves from efforts to close us down; and that with your help we are still running strong. If any of you have any questions about drinks, food, music, or where to find good company, don't hesitate to reply!!! Keep in mind that there is a secret Tonga society in the makings that will be our way of giving back to loyal customers like you.

http://www.tongaroom.com/

[ This Message was edited by: TheTongaRoom 2011-07-28 23:55 ]

View Profile of TheTongaRoom Send a personal message to TheTongaRoom  Goto the website of TheTongaRoom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheTongaRoom

Posted: 2011-07-30 5:53 pm   Permalink

Hi again!!

In between the thunderstorms over here we have been brainstorming ideas on how to give back to our loyal friends. We have decided that for the entire month of August all of our fellow Tiki Central members will not have to pay the cover charge at the door, and will be given %15 off the tab at the end of the night. Just make sure to say the secret password upon reservation/walk in to the host, to ensure you get your discount. The secret password is (Tiki Paradise) just be sure to keep it a secret amongst the tiki community so that we can offer further perks to you all.

Mahalo,
The Tonga Room

http://www.tongaroom.com/

View Profile of TheTongaRoom Send a personal message to TheTongaRoom  Goto the website of TheTongaRoom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kraken
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-05 10:51 pm   Permalink

Sensational! Finally, people who seem to care about The Tonga Room itself!
I'll drop in next week and thereafter to sample your promotional style, and
you can expect me to become a founding member when you launch your
Secret Tonga Society. My very best wishes on reviving and stabilizing the
great old Tonga Room and Hurricane Bar.

kraken

View Profile of kraken Send a personal message to kraken      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kraken
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-02 10:24 am   Permalink

Well, the magical month of August is over, during which
I stopped by The Tonga Room three times for grog & grub.

If any of the rest of us thus supported The Tonga Room
thrice, I will offer you the secret tiki handshake (when we
get around to inventing it). If anyone left me in the dust
by going four or more times, let me know about it so I can
pay you electronic homage. And anyone who came from
afar to patronize The Tonga Room even once deserves
more thanks than I can express.

If you're in the San Francisco area and you didn't bother to
offer encouragement and support by patronizing The Tonga
Room even once, don't offer us your thin excuses. Distance:
I come all the way from Martinez. Parking Cost: I rode BART
and Muni; sometimes even walked the Nob Hill leg. Time:
when friends wanted to get together with me I held out for
an evening at The Tonga Room.

Here's hoping that hordes of us stopped by to give the staff
new heart, and a little more cash in pocket.

View Profile of kraken Send a personal message to kraken      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-02 11:37 pm   Permalink

Only twice for me: once for a party I hosted (where I met the very friendly voice of the Tonga Room's new social media ventures) and once for my sister's wedding's pre-party. Both times we had to scrounge for tables and mingle about but the staff was very accommodating.

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kraken
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-03 02:10 am   Permalink

Two parties in August--Joshua, you leave me feeling a little
foolish for bragging about my own modest efforts. A few more
folks like us will easily put The Tonga Room over the top.

Hadn't heard about social media efforts by The Tonga Room.
Can you prevail on your new acquaintance there to let us Tiki
Centralites know what they're doing?

Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-03 4:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-03 02:10, kraken wrote:
Hadn't heard about social media efforts by The Tonga Room.
Can you prevail on your new acquaintance there to let us Tiki
Centralites know what they're doing?

The best pieces of evidence are the postings by the Tonga Room itself just a few lines up, hinting at things to come. The Tonga Room also has started tweeting a bit. I don't know if anything beyond that has happened yet.

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-03 4:49 pm   Permalink

We came from afar (Australia/Argentina) and visited the Tonga room a couple of weeks ago on our whirlwhind tiki-tour of the US. This place was a must on my San Francisco to-do-list. The atmosphere, decor and that awesome pool did not disappoint. The drinks and service kinda did but hey, that's not what I was there for. Hopefully it can survive for another generation to enjoy. Long live the Tonga room!!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation