FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Water / Fire Pit?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Water / Fire Pit?
teamtom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-09 4:52 pm   Permalink

While in Vegas last year, we stopped by the Fireside Lounge at Peppermill's. They have a famous firepit that is filled with water and the fire comes up the center. How do they make that thing work? I would like to build something like that for my patio (on a smaller scale) but after considerable searching on the old WWW, the closest thing I can find is using something called Fireglass, but the site it's on isn't cheap and isn't helpful. Any ideas? (I want to use propane)

View Profile of teamtom Send a personal message to teamtom      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-09 5:09 pm   Permalink

Fire and water is done by bubbling propane up through the water. Don't ask me how. As much as I love to play wuith fire it seems a little to sketchy for me to play with.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teamtom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-09 6:11 pm   Permalink

How does it stay on fire though?

View Profile of teamtom Send a personal message to teamtom      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-09 6:15 pm   Permalink

Just a guess, but are you sure it isnt a gas-pipe sticking out above the water a little? Or perhaps a hidden (constant) pilot-flame that ignites each bubble as it comes to the surface..? Sounds great; Id love to see a pic if anyone can find one!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BlackFish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-09 6:57 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:31 ]

View Profile of BlackFish Send a personal message to BlackFish      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-09 7:09 pm   Permalink

Don't know how much this helps, but here's a photo I took at the Reno Peppermill's a few years ago:

I took a look at the blown-up original of this photo, and while it's a bit blurry, it looks like perhaps there is a cluster of small (1/5" in diameter?) gas pipes that extend about an inch above the surface of the water.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BlackFish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-09 7:25 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:32 ]

View Profile of BlackFish Send a personal message to BlackFish      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-09 8:05 pm   Permalink

Interesting subject, I would like to try this myself. Seems like a simple (?) way to add an extra touch of exotica to a water feature. DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT - my 'long-haired-engineering' feats have landed me in hot water before and this could be a good example. I'd hate to hear you got torched at my advice. BUT-- if your gonna try it-you could probably accomplish this with just a propane tank, a hose extension and a burner type fitting you could get from a gas grill or the burner from a gas hot water heater would probably be ideal. You could experiment with placing the burner at different levels above and below the waterline and probably end up with a kickin' water/fire feature!!!

Like this, maybe?

[ This Message was edited by: surf-n-turf 2007-04-09 20:06 ]

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teamtom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-09 8:17 pm   Permalink

I could be wrong since I had quite a few drinks but I remember thinking that there were times when there was absolutely no flame present and it would just pop up again, lit up. I could be wrong though, there was alcohol involved! I do know that it didn't burn like a kitchen stove, it flickered and danced on the water. I don't think I imagined that (I swear!)

[ This Message was edited by: teamtom 2007-04-09 20:21 ]

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-09 9:57 pm   Permalink

Sounds like you'd better pay the place another visit TeamTom - and perhaps have a good look BEFORE heading to the bar!

It is a great effect & I agree with S-n-T, probably fairly simple affair to rig one up for yourself. Great bang for your buck as it were!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-10 07:02 am   Permalink

If you were try S-n-T's layout under water you would probably have to invert the burner so that the holes point down to prevent water from getting in the plumbing. You'd also have to have some sort of pilot light just above the water line to ensure that your gas ignites. I seem to remember an episode of Monster House where they did something like this.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-10 6:26 pm   Permalink

Just got back from universal and the same effect is created in a very large scale at several rides. It seems that prpane is simply released under water. To light the fire they use sparks from several sources. This would be easy to test all you need is a tub of water and a propane tank. If you blow yourself up, make sure to post pictures!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 4:30 pm   Permalink

I just read this and it is funny to see this brought up. Two summers ago this was my project for our back yard. Because I'm some what of a fabricator I started with a piece of flat steel and a length of flat bar I purchased from a steel shop.

Because I don't like symmetric shapes in the landscape I cut the plate steel in a some what kidney shape and welded the flat bar around the edge to give a random shaped water container.

I then drilled a hole in the side and attached a fitting to plumb a gas line from a propane tank to. I used soft copper and compression fittings to give a random shape for the burner. By drilling small holes in the copper tubing a burner was created.

The "burner" was located at about the water surface. When ignited it gave the random flickering flames above the surface of the water. At night part of the pleasure was seeing the reflections of the flames on the water surface.

Oh, this was not a free standing unit. I placed it in a raised corner behind our pond, blended into the landscape with plants and rock work surrounding it. It added a whole new dimension to our outdoor enjoyment.

[ This Message was edited by: poptiki 2007-04-12 16:33 ]

View Profile of poptiki Send a personal message to poptiki  Goto the website of poptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-12 4:45 pm   Permalink

I always liked those Peppermill fireside pits...they are swank. Just the right ambience for sipping a cocktail around. I thought it was tubes close to the surface of the water too....but I am not mechanically minded so not sure. Would be cool to have one in the middle of a sunken living room.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 4:50 pm   Permalink

This is a great thread. We've been trying to figure out how to do this. It's one of the first projects we're going to work on once we save up the $$ to cut down our 80 foot pine tree. Thanks so much for posting this thread.

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation