FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiki Lodge, Salem Oregon Closed (motel)
Tiki Lodge, Salem Oregon Closed (motel)
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 12:28 pm   Permalink

Name:Salem, Oregon
Type:motel
Street:3705 Market St. NE
City:Salem
State:OR
Zip:97305
Phone:503-581-4441

Description:
I was in Salem a couple days ago and drove past what used to be The Tiki Lodge. It has been gutted and looks like it is being torn down. The sign is still up so if you are traveling through Salem on I-5, glance to the east at Market Street for a last look at the only feature of the motel that was remotely tiki-related.

[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar 2007-04-11 12:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar 2007-04-11 12:31 ]

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 5:16 pm   Permalink

I noticed the same thing on my way up to Portland yesterday. It's surrounded by a chain link fence and the content of all the rooms is now in the parking lot.

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-12 8:30 pm   Permalink

Some co-workers of mine were up in Oregon one morning last week. Well, they must have had an early breakfast with lots of coffee when they crossed paths with the TIKI LODGE.
And I know that they're first thought was "We've gotta call Anders!" because that's exactly what they did at 6:30am. Out of a dead sleep, I remember them saying they'd had to call me and snap photos to share with me when they got back LA. I thanked them and went back to bed.

Later I thought how it was cool to know others are in search of TIKI for me.

One problem this time though...they paved paradise, put up parking lot!

Remembering after all that it's the thought that counts, I told them to keep'em coming!

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nature boy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-13 06:12 am   Permalink

I grew up in Salem 1977-1988, and I don't remember the Tiki Lodge ever being more than Tiki in name only. But, maybe before my time it could have.

View Profile of nature boy Send a personal message to nature boy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 09:01 am   Permalink

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=tiki+lodge+salem&m=text

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 11:49 am   Permalink

Here is a postcard and matchbook I have from the Tiki Lodge in Salem. Both items advertise that is was formerly a Hyatt Lodge, which may explain the lack of built in Tiki (other than the A-Frame).

The restaurant was the Keg and Platter, no Tiki there!

There was a sister location in Spokane, also a former Hyatt Lodge.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-13 3:46 pm   Permalink

Nice post, DC. It's interesting that the Palm Springs Tropics Motel became a Hyatt at some point:

The Tropics A-frame entrance being so distinctive, maybe Hyatt thought "Hey, let's declare any A-frame property we have as Polynesian"

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nature boy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-14 05:41 am   Permalink

The only real tiki that existed in Salem, Oregon:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4799&forum=2&hilite=salem

View Profile of nature boy Send a personal message to nature boy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation