FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Don't read, just BS here! Seriously!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Don't read, just BS here! Seriously!
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 2:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 06:02, GROG wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-04-25 04:49, Tipua wrote:
As much as criticism is welcomed by newbies like you and I, there's a difference between the helpful advice and constructive criticism offered by many of the more experienced carvers out there, and the just plain bitchiness offered by TeaKEY. Well done Sneaky for not taking the bait and lowering yourself to TeaKEY's level!

He may be 6'10", but you've shown who's the BIGGER man.

Thanks Grog!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 2:09 pm   Permalink

I don't feel that way, never said I did. Just telling you what BK said.

And when you talk about me, try to use examples

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 2:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 06:55, Jungle Trader wrote:
You're a good man Sneaky. Don't ever give up. Do what you love to do.

Thanx JT.

I won't.
Money is sort of a hindrance right now but in time I'll get some tools and craft. Carvers have so much fun over here and I wanted to get in on some of that. I may have posted a turd or two but at least I got the door cracked open to carving.

S
T

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 2:17 pm   Permalink

Sneaky - You blaze on Brah'dah! ALL carvers have to start somewhere; no matter how good/succesful an artist is, he/she started at the bottom rung & probably produced work they look back on with a bit of embarrassment - I know I do! We all know it is a long journey of discovery that never ends; stay in the game & your work will improve (not that is it so bad now - Ive seen a lot worse around here!). It takes a brave man to step outside of what he is good at/experienced in, & take up something new. Negative comments by ignorant idiots are simply that, ignore them!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 2:25 pm   Permalink

As long as we're all being "honest" here....

Sneaky, you know the pendant I sent you in the swap?

Well I uh, I sorta um....didn't REALLY use the hook knife to carve that.....I actually used these:

Instead of clawing my furniture (in a bad way) I have them claw-carving things like that little tray they are working on in the photo above. But I do all of the painting and or staining!! Just thought I should let you know the truth.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 2:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 14:09, teaKEY wrote:
I don't feel that way, never said I did. Just telling you what BK said.

And when you talk about me, try to use examples

Teakey,
the way the message was worded says you did feel that way-- "As BK said" implies that you are quoting a point that you are in agreement with... See below:
Quote:

On 2007-04-24 18:20, teaKEY wrote:
As BK said in a recent post, hone your skills first and then post.

"When I look at my carvings I have to (for the most part) agree with your analysis that they look pretty much like a dog chewed chair leg"-Sneaky

Great, we can agree on things still. Take care and God bless-tea

Responding to the second part of your post above, requesting that I use examples when talking about you...

Honestly there are so many examples to work with that I don't think you really want me to do that.
I could endlessly point up your faults but that was never my intent and I only wanted to help you help yourself. I see now that it was not your time.
You'll change, by God, when you are good and ready.
Many friends of mine have told me I think too much of people, give them the benefit of the doubt, too much credit, etc..
I'm going to keep living that way, with hope. I choose to believe that you are basically a good guy who is just awfully ignorant of many truths.
I hope the karma/mana comes back to me and that the world forgives me my missteps.

Peace,

S
T

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 15:09 ]

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 2:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 14:25, 8FT Tiki wrote:
As long as we're all being "honest" here....

Sneaky, you know the pendant I sent you in the swap?

Well I uh, I sorta um....didn't REALLY use the hook knife to carve that.....I actually used these:

Instead of clawing my furniture (in a bad way) I have them claw-carving things like that little tray they are working on in the photo above. But I do all of the painting and or staining!! Just thought I should let you know the truth.

8ft,

Thank God it wasn't a rock carving! I'd then know that I got a lil' sumthin' sum' from the litter box! Thanks for the laff. KITI-TIKI rox, I received a compliment while wearing him today.

Let's throw this username out for the lay-dayz, "Kitiki", any takers? No? I thought not.

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 2:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 14:17, Tamapoutini wrote:
Sneaky - You blaze on Brah'dah! ALL carvers have to start somewhere; no matter how good/succesful an artist is, he/she started at the bottom rung & probably produced work they look back on with a bit of embarrassment - I know I do! We all know it is a long journey of discovery that never ends; stay in the game & your work will improve (not that is it so bad now - Ive seen a lot worse around here!). It takes a brave man to step outside of what he is good at/experienced in, & take up something new. Negative comments by ignorant idiots are simply that, ignore them!

Tama

Thanks Tama!

I'm going back and forth from being embarassed to thinking they aren't all that bad for first posts. I appreciate your opinion immensely as you are one of the standard bearers around here.
I suppose it would be worse if the tikis didn't embarass me a bit and I thought they were top notch. I'll definitely post here again. And yes I'll keep wearing my chewy tikis, just not as often as I wear 8ft's Kava Kava. Hell I wore one of the sawed off spoon-gun pendants from my other crafts thread for a few days. Lil' square tiki.
I appreciate your empathy and am glad to know that your first tries were not beauties either.

Mucho Mahaloz Brah,

S
T

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 15:05 ]

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 3:48 pm   Permalink

Funny how those who can't, can be the most critical...

Quote:

On 2007-04-25 15:32, DiGi TiKi 77 wrote:
What did you find, JoshKAT?

JoshKAT made a NO NO.
Bad JoshKAT, very bad. Cover that Sh&t up!!! What the hell is that? Lets take a closer look!

That sh&t looks better then one of Sneaky's Tikis. Bury that thing JoshKAT!!!!!

Digitiki 77's tiki art:

[quote]
On 2005-06-07 14:33, DiGi TiKi 77 wrote:
Hey guys. Im new to this whole tiki gig but its unique and cool. I've seen sum of your guys stuff and they look awesome,you guys got sum real talent. I'm no good at carving so I decided to make sum "DIGITAL" tiki's. I did both of them on my computer.(i like the blue one better)here they are.

This one is called Lazy Tiki

This one is sgt. tiki

I like the blue one better because it took more work and I drew more of the parts. The green one was mostly shapes and symbols. I hope you guys like my "DIGITAL" tiki. Hit me back with some suggestions or questions etc.

Mahalo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND

Quote:

On 2005-06-08 12:21, DiGi TiKi 77 wrote:
hey guys i just made another DIGITAL tiki its called Farmer Tiki. Hope u like it !!

AND

Quote:

On 2005-06-08 17:51, DiGi TiKi 77 wrote:
The latest - Cool Herb

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are definitely out of my league digi tiki 77.

S
T

BTW teakey, couldn't help noticing your comments on shout about the digi tiki 77 post:

"Digi, that post was awsome

I wonder what he'll say to that ."

As Forrest (a highly functional low IQ individual) would say, "That's all I have to say about that." Also... "Stupid is what stupid does".

EDITED TO CHANGE DIGITIKI TO DIGI TIKI 77, APOLOGIES TO THE REAL DIGITIKI...............................................

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-28 02:47 ]

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 4:01 pm   Permalink

Digi 77, nice photos

Your photos looks great, can't say that for the SH%T that is in JoshKAT's box.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 4:03 pm   Permalink

What is the point of posting pictures that are just above?

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 4:08 pm   Permalink

Well, I don't know what to say about those. Interesting to note that digitiki came out of posting retirement (10 months) to put his 2c worth in this thread, and he and teaKEY had a little exchange in SHOUT! while it was happening.
Seriously, this schoolyard BS has no place in the carving forum. Sneaky posted his carving here in good faith and has handled the criticism with humour and restraint. One way of "honing your skills" is to post your first pieces and seek advice from other practising artists.
teaKEY, criticism is only of use when it offers something constructive - a point you seem to be missing, even when it has been offered to you in spades. This petty "revenge posting" for a perceived slight in another thread is a waste of server space. Try channelling that energy into something creative.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 4:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-23 17:57, teaKEY wrote:
You are right, everyone taking a couple clay courses probably could make a cup. I wish I was lucky enough to take a clay course in high school or YMCA. I did have finger-painting in pre-school there. Those were the days. I could say that most, yes, most people have picked up a paint brush and painted, but most people aren't considered painters/artist. That is a true statement in my eyes. Maybe you have made a ceramic cup, but have you made a tiki mug? And have you made a mug like mine, or my father's? I can't name more than 10 people that have made a hand-built tiki mug, that I have seen. That's 10 people that could be all over the world. 10 people is not
"anyone who has ever taken a summer pottery intro". There is a different too in a painting from when you were five years old and a painting from a working painter. Hopefully a big difference.
[end quote]

I have seen THOUSANDS of hand built mugs, they weren't all tiki mugs, but many of them were well done, and many of them by 5th-12th graders.

You don't need a couple of intro clay courses to hand build a mug, you just need one.

Yes I have hand built a mug. No it wasn't tiki. No it wasn't good enough that I'd compare myself to TikiFarm or Munktiki or Chihuli for that matter.

Yes there is a BIG difference between being a painter at 5 or a Bob Ross watching hobbyist and being a working painter. This is a difference that you should explore in ceramics or anything you wish to do as a means of employment, or if you want TikiFarm to produce one of your mug designs.

No, there is not a big difference between your work and the work of any teen or adult who has taken one intro. ceramics course.

You can hand build a nearly true cylinder and then hand build a design around it keeping the symmetry and when done sculpting remove the material for the vessel from the center, or use the cylinder to create a mold that will have a hollow center. You can hand build around a wheel thrown cylinder but you have to learn to use a wheel first.

Alot of work can be done on clay that is slowly dried while it is in various hardnesses. Respected artists have used pieces started on a wheel as a take off point for adding onto for a long time. Yes their work is still art.

You should, as recommended, use the spell check feature, even if it's not perfect.

You should stop worrying so much about the definition of "art" or whose work can be considered "art" and put that energy into creating.

You should stop talking about how great you are and put that energy into making great work.

Peace,

S
T

Sneaky threw the first punch at me but I will end it here, No more energy will be wasted on this guy. And, yes I'm a friend of Digi, he is young guy who is in a wheelchair and does what he can to the best of his ability.

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 4:23 pm   Permalink

Teakey, I never threw a "first punch" at you, anyone can view the entire exchage in your thread, the quote you posted above was a response to a response.

Aloha!

ST

Edited to add teakey's above comments as it appears he is deleting them/editing them
Quote:

On 2007-04-25 16:01, teaKEY wrote:
Digi 77, nice photos

Your photos looks great, can't say that for the SH%T that is in JoshKAT's box.

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 16:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: sneakytiki 2007-05-02 17:24 ]

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 4:26 pm   Permalink

Your friend is all class teakey.

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-25 16:55 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation