FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Making a Volcano... suggestions?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Making a Volcano... suggestions?
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 9:47 pm   Permalink

found a resource for the volcano makins....

http://www.bragdonent.com/gfguide.htm

I'm getting down to it. Will take pics of the backyard and site on Thurs. Gas, power, water lines are run. Its time to start gathering supplies.

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 9:50 pm   Permalink

if you want flames out the top... here is any easy, but not cheap, way to do it...

http://www.cunninghamliving.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1843

View Profile of Choptop Send a personal message to Choptop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Choptop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 9:54 pm   Permalink

some more flame sources...

http://www2.yardiac.com/list_categories.asp?tgs=2863694:44466218&cart_id=4522017:825818312168&id=695

and dont forget the red fire glass...

http://www2.yardiac.com/show_category.asp?tgs=2863694:44466218&cart_id=4522017:825818312168&category=1844

mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-10 09:08 am   Permalink

Wow, great resources Choptop! Thanks for sharing those!
The fire glass is kinda cheaper than I thought. I'd be pretty tempted to do a mix of colors, some red, orange, yellow and clear, since flame/fire isn't really solid red, but a lot more orange.

Maybe I will put a fire pit in my backyard after all.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-10 2:27 pm   Permalink

I'd also like to thank Choptop for the fire glass link. We recently purchased a propane firepit from Lowes that we have on our deck. This gives me some ideas. THANKS!

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Leo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-23 2:01 pm   Permalink

Okay! Its been a few months but my wife and I have been working hard. We had to. A co-worker of mine has some Koi fish that he needed a home for and he heard I was building a pond. So we had to work pretty fast.

The hole with some of the bottom plumbing. Concrete was poured over this to base the side walls:

Other View:

View Profile of King Leo Send a personal message to King Leo  Email King Leo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Leo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-23 2:05 pm   Permalink

So then we _needed_ to make the Volcano/Waterfall. So we made a base and formed the shape with rebar.

View Profile of King Leo Send a personal message to King Leo  Email King Leo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Leo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-23 2:07 pm   Permalink

My wife is the Queen of Concrete ... she somehow was able to coat the tied rebar and stucco mesh with aggregate concrete ... oh so artistic!!

King Leo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-23 2:11 pm   Permalink

*** Commercial Break ***

We needed our pond to not kill the fish with the lime in the concrete ... this took a bit of asking around .. this is the stuff. It is rated for potable water:

Its made by BASF ... they have specs on the website

King Leo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-23 2:16 pm   Permalink

After painting with concrete and patio paint ... the red is regular latex house paint:

I bought a mister unit .... it has 9 heads ... awesome!

Oh ... did I mention it hides the plumbing?

King Leo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-23 2:20 pm   Permalink

Skimmer

Oh and the Tiki we made to return water ... we affectionately call "Spitter"

Now on to the rest of the yard .. the Denizens have a home!

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-24 03:15 am   Permalink

Sweet project! That's alot of work there. Very nice.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-24 07:32 am   Permalink

The volcano is wickedly insane! I love it. This would work perfectly in my front yard and I may have to steal the idea.

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigik
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-06-17 8:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-09 21:50, Choptop wrote:
if you want flames out the top... here is any easy, but not cheap, way to do it...

http://www.cunninghamliving.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1843

I'm thinking of a volcano (eventually) but it may end up inside so I will probably
use the fake "flaming pot" things from Spencer's, etc. and MIGHT add in a few of
the flickering flame lamps as well.

View Profile of tikigik Send a personal message to tikigik  Goto the website of tikigik ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifred
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-17 06:17 am   Permalink

That is so cool! Reminds me of the volcano at Epcot in the Mexican pavilion restaurant!

View Profile of tikifred Send a personal message to tikifred      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation