FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving SneakIE'S first Stone carving, pipe not tiki!
SneakIE'S first Stone carving, pipe not tiki!
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 04:15 am   Permalink

About 6". Pipestone. Used hammer,f lat head screw driver, and hacksaw to break out basic piece, used big ass file that's round one 1 side/flat on other, and screwdriver, old steak knife etc.. to carve so far. We've all lost our heritage of how to make good tools from nature and I can't afford anything for modern carving tools for right now. I know it's shabby and my technique is ghastly but It's in process. I apologize for my lack of tools and skills. Just having fun. I've been watching and I wanted to get some. Sorry not tiki!!

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-14 15:16 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 05:01 am   Permalink

Thanks
ST

[ This Message was edited by: sneakytiki 2007-04-14 11:42 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-14 12:57 pm   Permalink

That's pretty bold there ST - using old screw drivers? I'm surprised the stone can take it!

Let's see some more pictures of your progress... you can add some tiki to it later

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 3:22 pm   Permalink

Thank you TG!

I'll post more pix soon. It's supposed to be a Northern plains style pipe. I hope I don't ruin it. I have a little scrap piece but not enuf to do another one.

Cheers,

S T

Tipua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 9:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-14 04:15, Sneakytiki wrote:

About 6". Pipestone. Used hammer,f lat head screw driver, and hacksaw to break out basic piece, used big ass file that's round one 1 side/flat on other, and screwdriver, old steak knife etc.. to carve so far. We've all lost our heritage of how to make good tools from nature and I can't afford anything for modern carving tools for right now. I know it's shabby and my technique is ghastly but It's in process. I apologize for my lack of tools and skills. Just having fun. I've been watching and I wanted to get some. Sorry not tiki!!

Oh, so THAT'S how you used the hammer! I was a little perplexed when you mentioned the hammer on my thread. I was imagining you delicately chipping away with a screwdriver and 50lb sledge!

View Profile of Tipua Send a personal message to Tipua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-15 12:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-14 12:57, tikigap wrote:
That's pretty bold there ST - using old screw drivers? I'm surprised the stone can take it!

Let's see some more pictures of your progress... you can add some tiki to it later

TGap and Tipua, thanks for looking, the screwdriver and hammer was just to break some big chunks off either side of bowl area, then hack saw, then file. There might be a pipestone tiki/totem in my fuyture as I have 1 small useable block left ftrom this project.
Here's those progress pix TGap;

L8R,
S
T

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation