[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Tai @ Bali Hai
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Mai Tai @ Bali Hai
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 1:59 pm   Permalink

A friend of mine and I stopped by Bali Hai (San Diego) late on Friday night. The bar/restaurant was closed, but a wedding reception was in full swing downstairs. So we crashed it.

Booze wasn't free, but I decided to order us each a mai tai anyway. Now, I've been to BH a few times, but for whatever reason I've always ordered something other than a mai tai (Mr. Bali Hai, Navy Grog, etc.). Anyway, we get the mai tais and we each take a sip and give each other alarmed looks. Even though it had the color of your typical mai tai, it tasted pretty much like rum on the rocks. I couldn't taste anything else and it actually caused me eyes to burn a little. While I appreciated not getting swindled in the rum department, Ron Rico alone on ice is not a pleasant drink.

Has anyone else had this experience with Bali Hai mai tais? Was this the usual drink, or did I get the result of a too busy bartender?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 2:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2007-04-17 13:59, arriano wrote:Has anyone else had this experience with Bali Hai mai tais? Was this the usual drink, or did I get the result of a too busy bartender?

I can't say. But it is true that private banquet bars and tenders are quite often much different than the regular ones.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-17 2:18 pm   Permalink

You pretty much got the standard Bali Hai mai tai. Nearly undrinkable in my opinion.

Try the Goof punch, Mr Bali Hai or Missionary's downfall next time. They are better.

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-18 08:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-17 14:09, PremEx wrote:
I can't say. But it is true that private banquet bars and tenders are quite often much different than the regular ones.

I can attest to this. There is a black tie function that I go to where different restaurants display their wares (food). Well, there are some drinking "stations" like the vodka martini luge ice sculpture, and the fabulous you have to try Bacardi mojito station. The martinis are no big deal (and don't have vermouth), and the mojitos are made with a slimy green, crack your teeth sweet premix mixed with flavored (and hence more sweet) rum.

And the people making them are not bartenders...they're temp vending help.

If you go to the restaurants, the drinks are fine. They get out to an event and they're horrible.

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-18 08:57 am   Permalink

I wonder . . . If you get a Mai Tai like the one mentioned at the Bali Hai and it isn't even remotely close to what a Mai Tai should be . . . does one complain? Does it go back? I've sent drinks back with the comment "I don't know what this is, but it's NOT a Mai Tai . . . I'll just order something else."

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 10:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-18 08:57, GentleHangman wrote:
I wonder . . . If you get a Mai Tai like the one mentioned at the Bali Hai and it isn't even remotely close to what a Mai Tai should be . . . does one complain? Does it go back? I've sent drinks back with the comment "I don't know what this is, but it's NOT a Mai Tai . . . I'll just order something else."

If it's not even remotely close...yeah...I think I'd send it back. However, with a Mai Tai, which is normally highly suggestive to interpretation and individual artistry (or lack thereof)...personally it would have to be WAY off before I'd send it back. If they made it with Vodka or something...yes, I would complain. But if it were in the ballpark, I don't think I would unless it was just plain undrinkable.

Personally with Mai-Tais, I tend to make a distinction between an undrinkable drink...and one that's really just mis-named. I've ordered many Mai Tais that were noting like I expect from a Mai Tai...and yet they were a pleasant beverage on their own. And if they hadn't been named "Mai Tai" and it was called a "Palm Tree Punch" instead...I might have no complaint at all. But there are also those drinks that are undrinkable no matter what their name is. And in those cases I might use the mis-naming of the drink as a "Mai Tai" as additional ammo for justifying its return.

But really...for anything...if you're not satisfied, it never hurts to complain and let the business know why you're not happy with your purchase. IMHO.

For standard drinks however...I'll send 'em back in an instant if they're not right. My favorite non-tropical cocktail is a Black Russian. A few weeks ago I was at the San Pedro Brewing Company having dinner and my Black Russian tasted disgusting, so I sent it back with a request to know how the bartender was making it. The waitress returned saying he made it the "standard" way: Kahlua and Vanilla flavored Vodka! Yeech! So I had to give specific instructions on how I wanted it. Later talking with the bartender face to face, he insisted everyone makes Black Russians with Vanilla Vodka. Ugh.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 10:32 am   Permalink

Roys Hawaiian Fusion has a Mai Tai that they seem 'proud' of--its in their featured drinks from their bar and while being pretty good, was NOWHERE like the Mai Tais I've made at home using the 'standard' recipe (lime juice, orgeat, curacao-maybe Cointreau, dark & light rums). Don't really know HOW any of these restaurants cook up their recipes but grenadine is a SURE sign of wrongness

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 1:36 pm   Permalink

This discussion brings up a rather good point, that the Mai-Tai is certainly not a standard drink. They vary widely from bar to bar. Very interesting!

As for the Bali Hai Mai Tai, I've dowened quite a few of them, they are super strong but I like them.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-18 2:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Anyway, we get the mai tais and we each take a sip and give each other alarmed looks. Even though it had the color of your typical mai tai, it tasted pretty much like rum on the rocks. I couldn't taste anything else and it actually caused me eyes to burn a little.

Quote:
You pretty much got the standard Bali Hai mai tai. Nearly undrinkable in my opinion.

Sure sounds WAY off to me and I'd have sent it back!

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Al-ii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 10:45 pm   Permalink

That is the Bali Hai Mai Tai. In my opinion-too strong, but, I think it is one of the best tiki drinks in SD.
Mahalo,
Al

[ This Message was edited by: Al-ii 2007-04-18 23:04 ]

View Profile of Al-ii Send a personal message to Al-ii  Email Al-ii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 03:59 am   Permalink

This all brings up the point - why not just tell the bartender what you want?

When the bartender says "What do you want?", tell him. He's asking. If you want a classic Mai Tai with what you think are classic ingredients, just tell him. Call it a 'Hawaiian' Mai Tai, but tell him. Don't be shy. This ain't a guessing game.

I always order my 'Pirate Juice' when in doubt of the local customs; pineapple juice, ice, with a big float of dark rum. Squeeze that lime. I just tell the bartender how to make it, comes out perfect every time.

Why complain? The guy can't read your mind.

By the way, I saw a party of four zap two Bali Hai Mai Tai's, each, in about ten minutes once. They said they were weak. No kidding.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hawaiiansnowball
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-20 11:22 am   Permalink

At last year's Tiki Oasis we went to the BH and my buddy ordered the Mai Tai while we waited for dinner. Holy camole, when I had a sip it tasted and felt like liquid fire if there ever was one! Needless to say, my buddy was totally trashed after two of those before we ate dinner! But I did score myself a nice mug on his bill!

View Profile of hawaiiansnowball Send a personal message to hawaiiansnowball  Email hawaiiansnowball Goto the website of hawaiiansnowball     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Pop
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-20 8:06 pm   Permalink

I was wondering...did the bartender layer in the ingrediants over the ice while floating the rum on top? maybe thats what you first sipped? or did they make it in a shaker and shake and pour it into the glass. maybe they left it up to you to stir it around before drinking. not sure if thats the case. Ive made them at home and have had them at the Bali hai... both were quite tasty and strong...aloha

View Profile of Tiki Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Pop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-20 9:44 pm   Permalink

As we all know, there is a lot of variations in a Mai Tai. This is both in consistency as well as ingredients. Even the venerable Trader Vics has considerable variation in taste. I once hit the Palo Alto and Emeryville location on the same night, and the Palo Alto cocktails paled in comparison to Emeryville.

Personally, I love Bali Hai mai tais. Are they potent? Hell yes. Are they too potent? Well, that depends on what you want from a drink. I prefer a potent drink over a watery and sugary version any day. Trader Vics is probably the best overall, but I rank Bali Hai's version second.

If you every do buy another Bali Hai mai tai and don't want it, you can always give it to me. *hic*

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-21 01:15 am   Permalink

Maybe, seriously, you should consider going back to the Bali Hai and trying the Mai Tai again. I fully endorse most of the "strong" drinks on the menu, even their butchered version of the Missionary's downfall which is nothing like an actual, but tasty none the less. I live in LA and the Tiki Ti is a stones throw away. Obviously, you can't beat the Ti, but I like Bali Hai's drinks over Trader Vic 90210 for second place. I mean, c'mon, they use Lemon Hart! And to further endorse the B.H. Mai Tai, there's so much RUM in that thing its almost like a Navy grog with orgeat, if they even use it (I can't taste any)...and while I agree nobody likes Ron Rico on the rocks, those Mai Tai's also utilize everyones favorite Jamaican rum CORUBA, which i'll take over Appleton any day of the month. Plus, as far as atmosphere is concerned, staring at Downtown San Diego over a large channel of water on a clear night with a good buzz in your tummy is one of life's sweetest pleasures. Tiki, Raiders and good surf for life.
Astronaut

View Profile of Registered Astronaut Send a personal message to Registered Astronaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation