FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Tai @ Bali Hai
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Mai Tai @ Bali Hai
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 09:42 am   Permalink

Thanks all for responding. To answer a few questions: Like I said, we were crashing a wedding since the bar was closed. So it was a bit crazy and crowded and it would have been difficult to send the drinks back.

I didn't watch the drinks being made so I don't know if he shook or layered.

I have had a number of drinks there before, just not their mai tai.

A friend gave me a copy of the Bali Hai drink menu and this is what it describes as the ingredients of the "World Famous Bali Hai Mai Tai":
"Coruba Jamaican Dark Rum, Ron Rico Light Rum, Orange Liqueur & Sweet n Sour. No Fruit Juice Added! 6.95"

I certainly didn't taste any orange liqueur or sweet and sour, but it could have been the result of a hurried bartender or an inexperienced one. Maybe next time I'm there I'll give the drink another shot.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 5:40 pm   Permalink

I love the Bali Hai Mai Tai, but they are very rummy (yummy!) and they can vary depending on who makes them. Sometimes there's more dark rum, sometimes more orgeat and/or sweet & sour. But they're always powerful and always delicious, in my experience. The standard recipe has changed a bit also - I'm pretty sure the original version used Myers (which is also listed in the recipe in Intoxica). The menu & table cards also don't mention that it's the Original 1954 recipe anymore, just that it's the World Famous Bali Hai Mai Tai. If you specifically order an original recipe, it will be a little different/darker. I actually usually prefer them when they have the stronger rum taste, but I'm like that! (I do not recommend going to two more bars after consuming a couple!)

I did have a Missionary's Downfall there recently that was WAY off from their normal recipe. Those can also vary a bit between visits, but this time it was unrecognizable from the ususal Bali Hai verson. I actually might've sent it back, but our waiter was new and had already had a couple minor oopsies, so I didn't want to give him any more trouble. It had hooch; I drank it.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-26 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-22 09:42, arriano wrote:

A friend gave me a copy of the Bali Hai drink menu and this is what it describes as the ingredients of the "World Famous Bali Hai Mai Tai":
"Coruba Jamaican Dark Rum, Ron Rico Light Rum, Orange Liqueur & Sweet n Sour. No Fruit Juice Added! 6.95"

I have to toss my hat in the ring here. I love this drink, even though they are a bit strong. I find that the BH Mai Tai is a little too strong at first, but give it a few minutes with the ice, and they're usually just fine. Having a drink that can handle a little dilution as ice melts is important if you're not suckin 'em up. They are definitely not drinks for chugging. Unless you want to get wrecked, of course.
If you're not sure whether you got a bad one, you can always try making one yourself. There's a recipe floating around here with the actual proportions. Here we go:
Quote:

On 2004-06-11 17:07, Tonga King wrote:
1 oz Light rum (I used Mt. Gay)
1 oz Meyers Origional Dark rum
1/2 oz Triple Sec
1/2 oz Oregeat
1 oz sweet & sour

Fill 14 oz glass to the top with shaved ice. Pour in the rums, triple sec, orgeat and spash it with a little sweet and sour (maybe an ounce..). Stir to mix and Garnish.

I'm guessing you probably got a bad bartender.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DrMiguelito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-10 11:47 pm   Permalink

My record with the Bali Hai's Mai Tai has been very hit-and-miss. At the TC New Year's Eve gathering I liked them so much I wound up having four (the poor TCers who shared a cab ride with me afterward will attest to how trashed I was). By contrast, at last year's Oasis I ordered one, and it was so horrible that I abandoned it halfway through and got a Navy Grog instead. Then, when I went there for my birthday, the Mai Tai gods were smiling again.

I'm convinced it all depends on who's making them. Before ordering a Mai Tai, I'll size up the bartender; if I don't sense that he or she is up to the task, I'll go with the Goof Punch or Mr. Bali Hai instead. Those are always good.

I'll also put in a good word for the Intoxica recipe. It's tasty, it's easy to make, and since it doesn't call for lime it's convenient for when you don't have fresh limes handy. Plus, you make it yourself, and aren't the best Mai Tais the ones you make yourself, anyway?

View Profile of DrMiguelito Send a personal message to DrMiguelito  Email DrMiguelito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 01:05 am   Permalink

I just went to the Bali Hai for the first time, and fell in love instantly...

with my Mai Tai!!

I thought that was the best Mai Tai I have ever had. It looked beautiful with the different layers, and was definitely strong (how I like them). First sip hurt a little, but then each one afterward got better and better. We had a younger bartender (forgot his name) who seemed to know his rum. After a few rounds of Mai Tai's, he guided us through a little tour of the sippin' rums which were all amazing. I finished of with the Zaya - my new favorite, I just mail ordered some. Can you believe that it is hard to find good rum in Hawaii?

I can't wait to go back during Tiki Oasis!!

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-28 7:09 pm   Permalink

I just got back from a week in San Diego and of course I spent plenty of time at the Bali Hai. On my first night there, I ordered a Mai Tai and it was very undrinkable. I have never left a drink on the bar but this was the first. The next day when I went back, I noticed the same bartender was working the bar. I asked the waitress to make sure my drinks were measured, not free poured. What a difference.

The waitress stated that the Bali Hai is famous for their strong drinks. Ya, ya, ya. Wonderful. However, I told her, unless a drink is balanced, a strong drink is just plain rotten.

My suggestion is this. When any TC members frequent a place such as the Bali Hai, insist on a measured pour. If enough of us do this, we might be able to restore some integrity back into drinks such as Mai Tais

It atleast says we care.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2007-10-02 11:44 am   Permalink

I fall into the camp of folks who are very fond of the Bali Hai mai tai. I think it's all a matter of personal taste. Doctor Z thinks they taste like jet fuel, but I like a sweet-and-sour based mai tai every so often as a change from the lime-based ones.

And boy are they powerful! Two of these and I'm happily buzzed for the whole evening.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-02 4:46 pm   Permalink

I have to go on record as saying I love'em. However, you have to let the strong fumes burn off your eyebrows first. That first sip is a pwer packed punch of rum. I'm sure others have done more, but I only downed 4 of those one night and woke up in a buddy's spare room...don't know how I got there. So, you're definately not getting a watered down sugar drink when you order a Bali Hai mai tai.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-09 1:59 pm   Permalink

i just came back from a weekend in san diego, and I had the Goof Punch, the Bali Hai, and the Mai Tai, and since they don't use Lemon Hart anymore, I was wondering if anyone knows what rums they use.

The Bali Hai was pretty good, but I'm wondering if Jeff Berry's recipe is much better? I haven't tried making this drink, and I'd like to give it a go!

DARK&TIKI

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-19 07:02 am   Permalink

Awesome MAI-TAI. No juice. Great mug. Quick buzz. Ahhhhhhh

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitonga
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-10 3:08 pm   Permalink

How funny that I just NOW noticed this thread! The wife and I visited BH last summer and ordered the Mai Tai without even looking at the menu. We experienced the same shock. Being from North Cal, we have been raised on Trader Vics and Forbidden Island Mai Tais. It was only after we got our drinks that we looked at the cocktail menu and saw the disclaimer that their Mai Tai was strong and used no fruit juice. So, yeah, the strength is intentional. Not sure I agree with calling it a Mai Tai because even though they vary from place to place the principal is always the same; rum and fruit juice (or at least lime juice). So, had we paid attention we would have known what we were getting into. Still, the place is amazing!

View Profile of tikitonga Send a personal message to tikitonga  Email tikitonga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-10 5:56 pm   Permalink

Actually, saying the Bali Hai's mai tai has no fruit juice is a bit deceptive. It has sweet & sour. Now, the "sour" in their mix may be some citric acid chemical additive rather than actual lemon juice, but either way it's not "all booze" as some may believe (even though it certainly tastes like it).

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-10 9:03 pm   Permalink

There's been way too much sweet lately, in my experience. Balance *is* important. I've always preferred them heavier on the dark rum, but it's not because I'm out to get tanked; the rum flavor belongs in there. On too many occassions lately, I've been served what tasted like nothing but sugar water.

As DrMiguelito said, choose your bartenders carefully.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Missing User65958
Unregistered User
Posted: 2011-05-10 9:57 pm   Permalink

I agree ... though sweet beverages have their place, often too sugary drinks are bleh, a strong or at least having it more rum based (for me) are more desireable.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-11 01:58 am   Permalink

Last time we went a couple of years ago we had 2 Mr Bali hais and a mai tai and we were trashed after! good value for such a small amount of drink(Very strong!)Quite good but not as good as the vics or Donn originals.

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation