FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Tai @ Bali Hai
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Mai Tai @ Bali Hai
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-11 10:48 am   Permalink

The mai tai at the Bali Hai is its own thing - and experience.

I wouldn't classify it as a mai tai at all. In fact, it is basically more of a rum martini to my way of thinking.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-14 10:28 am   Permalink

Rum martini? I don't know about that. I think the ingredients of Bali Hai's mai tai basically mirror a Trader Vic's mai tai. Observe:

TRADER VIC // BALI HAI
1 oz Jamaican Rum // 1 oz Myers
1 oz Martinique Rum // 1 oz Ron Rico
Juice of 1 Lime & 1/4 oz Rock Candy Syrup // 1 oz Sweet & Sour
1/2 oz Orange Curacao // 1/2 oz Triple Sec
1/4 oz Orgeat // 1/2 oz Orgeat

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-15 10:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-14 10:28, arriano wrote:
Rum martini? I don't know about that. I think the ingredients of Bali Hai's mai tai basically mirror a Trader Vic's mai tai. Observe:

TRADER VIC // BALI HAI
1 oz Jamaican Rum // 1 oz Myers
1 oz Martinique Rum // 1 oz Ron Rico
Juice of 1 Lime & 1/4 oz Rock Candy Syrup // 1 oz Sweet & Sour
1/2 oz Orange Curacao // 1/2 oz Triple Sec
1/4 oz Orgeat // 1/2 oz Orgeat

On good days, I agree. On rushed days with a neophyte bartender, it's just rum and sun.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-15 5:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-15 10:27, telescopes wrote:

On good days, I agree. On rushed days with a neophyte bartender, it's just rum and sun.

HAHA.... well, I can't argue with that.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-15 8:51 pm   Permalink

I wouldn't either. But lately it's been yellow sugar water - THAT I argue with!

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gold zephyr
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-18 12:27 am   Permalink

Bali hi abused my liver with a fiery mai tai libation. Thank you Bali Hai

View Profile of gold zephyr Send a personal message to gold zephyr      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chippy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-21 3:12 pm   Permalink

After reading this thread I had to try and mix one of these up myself and join the controversy.

I follwed the recipe above; however I used Cruzan for the light rum, Coruba for the dark Jamaican, Trader Tiki Orgeat, and some home made sweet and sour.

As mentioed above, the first sip is a powerfull one. Strong and dry. But as the sips continued and the drink was allowed to mellow, I must admit, it developed into a nice sipping cocktail.

I would definately not put this into the class of drink that I would call "refreshing" but as a relaxing cocktail I would heartily recomend it. The perfect drink to sit back and watch the rest of my Dr. No DVD.

Cheers!

View Profile of Chippy Send a personal message to Chippy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 05:08 am   Permalink

Made one over the weekend, using the Bum's recipe, and found it to be reasonably tasty and well-balanced. I had one at the Bali Hai restaurant years ago, and as others have noted, thought it was very harsh and boozy. My conclusions are that a) either the Bum's recipe ain't the real thing, or b) the BH bartenders are spiking it deliberately or from lack of experience.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 1:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-24 05:08, MrBaliHai wrote:

Made one over the weekend, using the Bum's recipe, and found it to be reasonably tasty and well-balanced. I had one at the Bali Hai restaurant years ago, and as others have noted, thought it was very harsh and boozy. My conclusions are that a) either the Bum's recipe ain't the real thing, or b) the BH bartenders are spiking it deliberately or from lack of experience.

I imagine the Bum's recipe is probably "the" recipe; however, that would be the "official" recipe. The "practitioner's recipe is the one that is very harsh and boozy. This is "THE" Bali Hai recipe that has become "THE" recipe of record. The "official" recipe is the one given to patrons when one ask for a recipe.

I don't think I've ever had an "official" Mai Tai from the Bali Hai in say the last ten years.

Frankly, it is a lousy Mai Tai - but yet - I order it every time I go there.

To be honest, it is the type of Mai Tai that is so poorly made that one could never reproduce it in a million years if one tried.

It is so utterly terrible that it becomes uniquely "great". Somehow, the booze and the lack of whatever they leave out or rarely pour to correct proportions achieves an utterly incomprehensible balance of correctness.

I don't get it, but I have learned to love it.

Viva, Bali Hai Mai Tai - You are absolutely "out of this world!"

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 4:21 pm   Permalink

The Bum's recipe is indeed the official one. It's been printed numerous times. Here's an example from the San Diego Union-Tribune:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/jul/01/1f01readersm185113/?uniontrib

And I wouldn't be surprised if bartenders don't regularly float Bacardi 151 or do something similar to spike it up.

Chippy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 5:21 pm   Permalink

Am I missing something but where is the"Official Jeff Berry" approved version of this cocktail. I thumbed through my copies of my books and I cannot find it anywhere.

View Profile of Chippy Send a personal message to Chippy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 5:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-24 16:21, arriano wrote:
And I wouldn't be surprised if bartenders don't regularly float Bacardi 151 or do something similar to spike it up.

They must be. The two ounces of rum in the official recipe didn't even come close to the booziness of the restaurant version.

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2011-05-24 17:44 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 5:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-24 17:21, Chippy wrote:
Am I missing something but where is the"Official Jeff Berry" approved version of this cocktail. I thumbed through my copies of my books and I cannot find it anywhere.

The recipe is in "Intoxica!"

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 6:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:
---------------------
They must be. The two ounces of rum in the official recipe didn't even come close to the booziness of the restaurant version.

Nah, I've watched a LOT of them being made, and I've never seen anything other than the standard ingredients go in. It's just that nobody measures.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chippy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 7:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-24 17:44, MrBaliHai wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-05-24 17:21, Chippy wrote:

The recipe is in "Intoxica!"

Well I don't have intoxica and I cannot find it in Remixed. I will keep looking.

Thanks

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation