FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Cocktails with Al ( Image heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Cocktails with Al ( Image heavy)
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-30 7:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-30 17:36, Mai Tai wrote:
One thing that I would like to bring up on this thread. Al's Lagoon Room is well stocked, and he can pretty much make up any drink at a moment's notice. He even had dry ice, for christ's sake! I am actually setting up my home bar this week, and I would appreciate advice on how to stock a tiki bar - I'm talking alcohol, mixers, tools, glassware, swizzles, accessories, etc. I would like to be able to whip up just about any drink from the grog logs or throw a small party without hesitation. Granted, I already have a fairly good selection of rums, mixers, a couple of shakers, a blender, some glassware, and of course tiki mugs. Still, I'd like to hear advice - it would help me out, and I'm sure would be beneficial to others, whether they are setting up a tiki bar in their house, or they already have one in full swing.

I love it...doesn't this just smack of a new job for the experts...TIKI BAR CONSULTANT. The consultant comes to your house, shows you the best way to fung shui your bar so everything is neatly organized, back-up stock is easy to find, any good bar-tender could slip behind the bar and get busy, the vendor takes you on a Bev-Mo shopping spree where you ante up your Visa, you are trained to all the proper glass-types/garnish sprays, and are left holding your Grog-Log and ready to RUMBA!!!! How much would you pay for a service like this? Many of us do the best we can to get things set up, but having a professional teach us the basics in our own home....PRICELESS.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TofuJoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 09:54 am   Permalink

Hey Al

Thanks for starting this thread. I have been very very lucky to live within falling over distance of Martiki's place so I get to pick his pickled brain frequently.

In one of his more humble moments he mentioned how much he was indebted to you for helping him lay out his groundwork of drink making magic.

So lets get this mixology masterclass in session!

I'm looking forward to soaking up some knowledge and talking cocktail.

Mahalo
Mahalo

View Profile of TofuJoe Send a personal message to TofuJoe  Goto the website of TofuJoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Al-ii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 02:01 am   Permalink

You know Bill, that's a good Idea. Here are some simple tools and glass wear ideas you can use for your home bar. You wont need all of them, and, I'm sure I left stuff out. The main thing is that you enjoy the process.

You will need some shot glasses. Go with the traditional and thegraduated kind, new or retro, plain or fancy, the Idea is to have fun with it.

These shot glasses are in every bar in America, very utilitarian.

I have cup measures, for when I'm making a big batch.

Glassware, you have to ask yourself: What am I making? What do I need to serve with? My advice is buy glass at places like Cost Plus, Bevmo, Pier One or Crate and Barrel. You want to buy cheap so you won't care when glasses break. And they will break. Here are some examples, hardly comprehensive.Chimneys (Highballs), Pilsners, Buckets (Lowballs), Martini, Pint, Hurricane and Wine Glasses. All great vessels to serve Tropical drinks. I also recommend: Brandy Snifters Champagne Flutes, Martguerita Glasses, Etc...

I like retro glasses but many are beat up, scratched and foggy. Drinks look bad in damaged glassware. Bamboo, Tiki Shot, Scorpion Bowl, Amoeba, Coconut, Liqueur, Fancy Chimney, Tiki Mug

Squeezers, Bottle Toppers, Can and Bottle Openers, Cherry Pickers, Scoops, Measuring Spoons, Ice Picks, Knives, Ice Tongs, Muddlers, Ice Buckets, Mixing Spoons, Corkscrew, Strainers and Measuring Spoons. Again the Idea is to have fun, not break your back tracking this shit down.

Retro Ice

Picks,Garnish Fish, Umbrellas, Dragons. You'll also need A Blender, Fruit Juicer, Straws, BIG STRAWS (for Scorpion Bowl) And stuff for Garnish, we'll talk more about that later. Tomorrow I'll post on stocking your bar. What did I forget? Let me know?

View Profile of Al-ii Send a personal message to Al-ii  Email Al-ii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-02 05:47 am   Permalink

Dumb question....I never thought of a cherry picker....is that what you use to get cherries out of jars?

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TofuJoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 09:28 am   Permalink

A couple things I didn't see: Cocktail Shakers! and strainers

And a quick note on bottle toppers. These may seem like a luxury, but it really is far easier to pour small measured amounts from a bottle with a pour spout. Also, anytime you finish a bottle with a cork top, save it! It is a lot easier to reseal bottles with a cork than a twist top.

And a question: What do you use to measure out small amounts for ingredients like Pernod?

[ This Message was edited by: TofuJoe 2007-05-02 09:29 ]

View Profile of TofuJoe Send a personal message to TofuJoe  Goto the website of TofuJoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 1:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-02 09:28, TofuJoe wrote:

And a question: What do you use to measure out small amounts for ingredients like Pernod?

[ This Message was edited by: TofuJoe 2007-05-02 09:29 ]

Eye dropper!

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Al-ii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 1:31 pm   Permalink

Shakers!!! You love 'em, you need 'em, you can't beat them. I like the "Boston" style shakers, the metal shaker that fits around the pint glass. When you buy them look for the metal shaker to be big enough to fit a low ball glass. Pint glasses aren't much smaller than Buckets, but, it will make a difference to look for the larger diameter. I like retro shakers with cool graphics, but, I've had problems with the tops sticking, now my old school, fancy shakers go up on the shelf. Look at the big stainless "professional" shaker, it's my favorite.

Ice crushers, here are some cool old Ice crushers and my favorite juicers. If you come to the Lagoon Room ask me for a little juicer, I may have an extra.

View Profile of Al-ii Send a personal message to Al-ii  Email Al-ii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 2:15 pm   Permalink

Oh yeah, ice crushers! Those are cool! Which leads me to a thought, do you have some kind of fridge or mini fridge behind the bar? For either keeping certain mixers cold, or for storing ice, or both? Do you have an ice maker, or do you pick up additional ice at the store? Where do you store your dry ice?

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-02 8:36 pm   Permalink

Great pics....these are helpful.

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-03 6:17 pm   Permalink

Alright Al'ii,
Enough prep - get to the mixin'.
I'm gettin' thirsty over here.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sporkboyofjustice
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 2:07 pm   Permalink

I have to say that I'm loving this thread. For some reason equipment gets me excited. Anywho, I'll be lurking on this one unless I have something to add; thank you for all the advice.

View Profile of sporkboyofjustice Send a personal message to sporkboyofjustice  Goto the website of sporkboyofjustice     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-04 2:13 pm   Permalink

I really loved the pic of the laboratory glassware . . . now that's some serious mixology!

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 7:03 pm   Permalink

Hey !

What's up with the freakin white walls!!!

How can you live like that!!!

Shame on you Al!!!

ARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bincho
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-06 7:58 pm   Permalink

Heya-

I went through this after my move last year-

It got to be crazy to keep all our kooky alcohol in a liquor cabinet- people have known my wife & I were "into" booze- I had a confusing library of exotic liquors- I had to coordinate!
I went into my drink library and did a spreadsheet of my favorite drinks, also noting the drinks that are common for socializing, frozen, layered drinks and "shots" (74 in total, ugh) I then consolidated my highest ranking "must haves"
and came up with a core "party" 12, not including primary drinks like "Rum & Coke" " & The Screwdriver" etc.
The common list that follows allows for DOZENS of drinks.
My core list was reduced to the following:
Bourbon & Good Bourbon & a good Rye (my oldest friends)
Good Vodka & Great Vodka
Gin
WhiteRum (Bacard/swill)
Rum Dark (Myers, Black Seal)
Rum (Coconut Rum)
Spiced Rum
Rum Special (Zaya, Appleton etc.)
Overproof Rum
Contreau
Triple Sec
Chambourd
Creme de Cacao
Blue Curacao
Banana liquor
Pineapple Juice
Cranberry Juice
Apricot Brandy
Orange Juice
Grenadine
Bitters
Creme of Cococnut
Passion Fruit Syrup
Orgeat
Simple Syrup
Cola & good Ginger Beer

These are not in order of priority, but drop the exotic items and you can get by...

FRESH FRUIT- as available
Barware:
2 shakers, a blender
Measuring Shot Glass, citrus squeezer,Jigger, measuring cups for multiplying recipes
Cutting Board, paring knife, swizzle stix, straws, garnish box
strainer, mixing spoon.

View Profile of Bincho Send a personal message to Bincho      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 03:46 am   Permalink

Hey Al, here's a question for ya. I'm actually setting up my tiki bar right now. I'll show pics of it in another thread, but it's actually a bar that a fellow Tiki Centralite graciously passed down to me. It's great! Anyways, after a thorough cleaning, which it desperately needed, Coco Loco and I lugged it into the house yesterday, and attached the top. I pulled out all of my booze from the various nooks and crannies in Casa de Mai Tai, and I'm starting to load up the bar with my hooch. Is there any particular way you have your booze organized under your bar? This bar looks a lot like yours, it's a three sided wrap-around. I was thinking spirits on the left side, liquers in the middle section, and mixers on the right side. Any thoughts or advice?

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation