Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Hawaiian-style quilt
Hawaiian-style quilt
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 9:45 pm   Permalink

I saw this new Hawaiian-style quilt go at auction last weekend for $4,200. Quilts are not my thing (I'm very much a 'lectric blankie guy), but as so often happens, I found it interesting to read about something I ran across while shooting other pictures for my blog. I researched it a bit and found more info at
http://www.quiltshawaii.com/tradition.html:

"Four methods of constructing and designing a quilt, when combined, make the Hawaiian quilting process unique. These include the use of whole pieces of fabric for the appliqué and background; the "snowflake" method of cutting the design all at one time; the use of usually only two colors of fabric; and the echo, or outline style of quilting which follows the contour of the applied design throughout the entire quilt."

Anyway, that's my school report for the day.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-12 8:27 pm   Permalink

I am planning on eventually buying a Hawaiian Quilt for my quest bedroom (to actually use on the bed). Has anyone purchased from webetiki it looks like they have decent prices and very nice options for quilts. They have various patterns and colors to choose from.

If you have a Hawaiian quilt, would love to see a picture of it. I am having a hard time deciding on colors.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-13 10:41 am   Permalink

Wow, $4,200! I have two Hawaiian quilts that my grandma made. They are both just stored away for fear of ruining them. My grandma got really pissed when my mom and dad wore their quilt she made for them out to a threadbare mess. I always just thought of it as a bedspread when growing up, but now I know the amount of time and artistry that goes into making them.
I think I would always keep one of them just for the cultural family significance and because it was made by my grandma. Now, if I could get anywhere near $4,200 for the other, I would sell that in a heartbeat, all nostalgia aside(this isn't a solicitation for offers, by the way).
I'll try to post pics someday.

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation