[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food test pilot crash and burn
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
test pilot crash and burn
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-20 6:49 pm   Permalink

Howdy y'all. New dude here....I just poured myself a Test Pilot with Velvet Falernum and used Bacardi (I know, I know) light and some Appleton Estate. I used my kid's Tylenol medicine dropper that reads down to less than a 1/4 tsp for the Pernod and used fresh squeezed key limes. Dear Mother Mary of God! Bitter. I have seen that some of you love the Test Pilot. What went wrong with my first flight? I dumped in 2 tsp of simple syrup and things flew better. Do I really need to hunt down Fees? I would like to skip the trial and error before I fall on the floor. Any tricks would be highly appreciated.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-20 10:08 pm   Permalink

Welcome to Tiki Central, and welcome to the fun that is the Grog Log......

Two things are working against you: The first is the Bacardi. Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't have any life to it. It is flat and boring and just kind of sits there in the drink.

Second, keylime is a bit sharp (not sure how to better describe it) for this drink. Try it again with regular limes and see if that helps.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-21 04:55 am   Permalink

Thanks for the idea, though-- The 'crash and burn variation' on the Test Pilot--a little 151 in the lime shell and add fire. fire! FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-21 5:34 pm   Permalink

Ahhh....that was it! I was working off of a recipe for a singapore sling that recommended key limes and assumed they would work in the test pilot. Engine failure!!! Thank you and mahalo for flying Test Pilot Airlines! My second one involved a burning lime shell. Now my kids want flaming drinks. Uh oh. I can now rest easy knowing my grandkids will inherit the bottle of Pernod. 1 teaspoon down....151 to go.

Thanks again.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-21 7:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-21 17:34, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
.... I can now rest easy knowing my grandkids will inherit the bottle of Pernod. 1 teaspoon down....151 to go.

Thanks again.

You will be surprised at the Pernod and all of the yummy things it goes into. I thought I would have the bottle until I am old and grey, but in less than a year I have gone through a bit more than half of a 750ml.

Of course I drink.

Lots.

Back to the bar!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 09:15 am   Permalink

well, I don't consider it "drinking a lot." It's more like research and development. Sometimes R&D requires several bottles of rum. The price you pay for the science of the art. Anyhow....what are your favorites for the Pernod?

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 11:52 am   Permalink

TEST PILOT!!!!!

Had one on Donn Beach's birthday this past year.
Zowie. As beautifully bitter as I remember.

If you love a bitter drink it means you have a sweet soul.
Which would explain why Swanky is "goth" to the 453rd power.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 1:55 pm   Permalink

Phooey. The Test Pilot is not as bitter as many of the drinks I have tried. One "trick" for making the Test Pilot is to double the recipe. I almost always do anyway to sample with the wahine. But, if you make two or four of any recipe, A) the accuracy you need to make it really work, goes more and more in your favor, and B) the measurements are a lot easier to get right. Easier to do an ounce than a half or an ouce rather than a 1/4 ounce, etc. Especially with a drink like the T.P. that requires a tiny amount of a very strong ingredient.

So, as Chip says, use the regualr Persian limes, and double the recipe or, if you have guests, quadruple it. Or if you have Andy or Pablus over, quadruple it... Life will be better and easier that way.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 4:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-22 11:52, pablus wrote:
TEST PILOT!!!!!

Yeah... what he said. Can't find anything wrong with it. Move away from the Bacardi, be careful with the Pernod and life will be good.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 4:03 pm   Permalink

Oyster forks anyone?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 5:26 pm   Permalink

You guys rule. It IS about cocktail hour and I better burn through this Bacardi soon. Now, here it is...another question. A friend is sneaking into Cuba and I have begged for a few "souvenirs" made from fermented cane sugar. Will it work better? Or what is the preferred PR light rum? Have any of y'all tried the rum made here on the left coast (Rogue Brewery, I believe, makes some rum)? Oh, the agony of perfection. BTW, my neighbors are now trained to walk by the house around 5:30. They can hear the shaker. I need neighbors with oyster forks.

[ This Message was edited by: jingleheimerschmidt 2007-04-22 17:29 ]

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 6:57 pm   Permalink

A super great rum isn't going to amke this drink way better, but a bad rum, will make it worse. Any non-Bacardi white will improve it.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 04:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-22 09:15, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
.... It's more like research and development. Sometimes R&D requires several bottles of rum. The price you pay for the science of the art......

Ahhhh, the first step to becoming a Lush.

I don't mean an alcoholic, because they go to meetings.

Now!

Back the the bar! I mean LAB!

To the Lab! The lab for research....

wheres my monkey?

and what did he do with my limes?

quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 09:54 am   Permalink

Pernod is liberally bashed as the "blehhhch! x-factor" ingredient in cocktails because of its strong licorice flavor. It is definitely an acquired taste, but is absolutely great for cooking! It's almost mandatory in Oysters Rockefeller and is really great with mussels too. If you like shellfish, I'll bet that bottle will be gone in no time!

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 11:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-22 18:57, Swanky wrote:
Any non-Bacardi white will improve it.

Careful with that word 'any' Tim!

I'm thinking of Castillo, and not liking that thought...

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation