FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Nautical style in tiki bars
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Nautical style in tiki bars
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 1:49 pm   Permalink

don't be forgettin' the pirate's house in savannah.

way nautical, no tiki.

good rum drinks.

skull mugs if you're lucky (i wasn't)

http://www.thepirateshouse.com/

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 3:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-29 11:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
I just remembered a GREAT purely nautical place I visited when in Atlanta...arrgh, can't find the postcard I took, OR remember the name...Swanky, any Southerners, help!

Yessssss, DANTE'S, that was it, thanks Swank! I was quite impressed, there is not an un-themed corner in that place. Go check it out when in the area folks, they just don't make'em like that anymore.

Now that we are on a nautical roll, I'd like to reminisce about THE SEA in San Pedro, a giant shop that was the nautical equivalent to Oceanic Arts.

From the 1930s on, San Pedro's shipwrecking yards used to be a rich source of vintage nautical material for the builders and decorators of L.A. Tiki temples.

In the mid-90s, the Sea owners took over some of the Tikis from Danny Balsz's defunct "The Tikis" amusement park...only to close shop themselves a couple of years later:

You can see these two guys in Situ (and intact) on page 112 of the BOT.

Just a couple of blocks up from "The Sea" was the "Samoan Sea" apartment complex (still there?):

It had the classic nautical features of pylons and anchor chain fencing:

The place has only two Tiki guardians. We already saw this guy here on TC, in a post about slit drums

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 8:04 pm   Permalink

Heh.

My Mom worked at the Sea

for a while

before they closed.

No tiki spirit there. Pure slave drivers!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 9:18 pm   Permalink

Skipper Kent's comes immediately to mind..

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 9:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-04 13:49, Johnny Dollar wrote:
don't be forgettin' the pirate's house in savannah.

way nautical, no tiki.

good rum drinks.

skull mugs if you're lucky (i wasn't)

http://www.thepirateshouse.com/

And haunted as a motherf*cker, too! I spent my childohhod in Savannah!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-05-05 11:07 am   Permalink

Great post idea danny, I'll see what I got.
The sea is now a pet food store, but there is a place in wilmington that (seems like) it sells just as many shells in a much smaller building. I forget teh name t the moment...Fergusons? maybe? It's been there since the 1940's.

Samoan sea is still alive and kickin' and looks just like your pics, bigbro. Sabu took a bunch of pics in a thread about san pedro too.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-05-08 08:24 am   Permalink

Hey Diablo, here's a few images. They're light on the tiki/nautical fusion and I've included a few shots for inspirations of decor pieces. I have more, but I was uncertain if that was the type of pictures you wanted

the first two are of Ports o' call here in 'Pedro, back when it was cool. I unfortunately don't have any interior shots of what it looked like back in the heyday.

Tony's on the Redondo Beach pier is very nautical (their downstairs is great - with all kinds of float lamps - but I don't have pictures of it) Here's the entrance:

The islander in Gardena has some nautical emements to it:

Anchor chain:

Anchor:

Here's some samples of nautical doors and hatches:

Authentic pictures of "nautical" locations like vintage pictures of piers, docks, port towns, ships, ship yards/scrap yards and shipwrecks are great to get those ideas going too. But you already know that.
One of my favorite shipwreck images (pretty easily found on the internet):

I wish I could come accross something like this on my morning beach walks

and finally one more for good measure:

Let me know if you want more nautical pictures. give me a call if you want to come down 'pedro way

PS - the shell place in wilmington is called Ferguson's Marine Specialties. They've been in business since 1945.
http://www.fmsshells.com/

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 2:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-04 20:04, RevBambooBen wrote:
My Mom worked at the "Sea" for a while...No tiki spirit there. Pure slave drivers!

Well, THAT was, historically speaking, and all romance aside, actually more the NAUTICAL spirit!

Here's a fine matchbook I found from a cool looking place in Oakland. One can only assume that it was nautical inside, being named after one of the finest (partially South Sea) writers and skippers there ever was:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 8:20 pm   Permalink

Ohh yeah those are some nice ones guys. I have started my nauti tiki build out for my project. Speaking of nautical Jim, I have your stuff here. When we gonna hook up?

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 8:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-08 14:13, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

My Mom worked at the "Sea" for a while...No tiki spirit there. Pure slave drivers!

Well, THAT was, historically speaking, and all romance aside, actually more the NAUTICAL spirit!

Here's a fine matchbook I found from a cool looking place in Oakland. One can only assume that it was nautical inside, being named after one of the finest (partially South Sea) writers and skippers there ever was:

Is that Yoshis Now?

Saw the Sax player for the Stones play there.

Danny,

Post working photos???

I got's a nautical coming up next week but will be out of town so pics will have to wait.

Great Stuff Peoples!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-11-23 5:01 pm   Permalink

I'm visiting my parents at the moment, so I've finally managed to get some photo's of the best "nautical style" treatment for wood. If Witco brings exotic texture through burning, the nature version in the intricate carving of the shipworm.

The Bothy bar in Kirkwall, was fitted out in the mid eighties to resemble a "traditional" fisherman's bothy, (the effect has been ruined by a recent refurbishment, but enough of the original wood is still there)to achieve the effect the builders used wood recovered from hold of a sunken cargo vessel, that had been eaten on the surface by seaworms.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-22 10:41 pm   Permalink

If I ever win the lottery, I will have a nautical room in my mansion and decorate it with several of these tentacle chandeliers:

Adam Wallacavage
Bisbiglio d'Amaranto
Mixed media, epoxy resin coated cast plaster with lamp parts
40"l x 40"w x 30"h
$10,000.00

More of his chandeliers can be seen at
http://www.jonathanlevinegallery.com/?method=Artist.ArtistDetail&ArtistID=EED2F4E9-115B-5562-AA8B85B721777481&GalleryID=82C33C59-3048-28EB-92DB386C8C733405

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-12-23 07:35 am   Permalink

Fabulous tentacle chandeliers...hefty price...but they would indeed be a good addition to the nautical theme.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-06 1:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-28 14:22, TikiGardener wrote:
Is this the part of the Tonga Room you are referring to?

http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

With the exception of the Tonga Room, which nicely incorporates the Ship for dancing, I really don't care for it. Me, I'd rather see more Polynesian accents, more Tiki, more foliage, more anything else.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-06 4:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-08 20:37, RevBambooBen wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-05-08 14:13, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

Is that Yoshis Now?

Saw the Sax player for the Stones play there.

Danny,

Post working photos???

I got's a nautical coming up next week but will be out of town so pics will have to wait.

Great Stuff Peoples!

That place is still there, and nope, it's not Yoshi's. It's now Scott's Seafood. (Yoshi's is across the street). My dad also remembers The Bow and Bell restaurant - he's not sure if it was the same building as this one or different. Evidently Joe Dimaggio was partner in one of these. I've been pumping my dad for East Bay tiki info, since he's pretty much an East Bay native - did a lot of running around on San Pablo avenue back in the day.

He remembers Trader Vic's, but doesn't remember much of the other stuff around there, tiki-wise. But he definitely remembers one of his favorite haunts on San Pablo, the It Club, which is right next to where the Cerrito Speakeasy movie theater is.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation