FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving New guy Tiki Sea-Luff's first carving....
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
New guy Tiki Sea-Luff's first carving....
TIKI SEA-LUFF
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-28 10:36 am   Permalink

Aloha,
My name is Cliff and this is my first work. I have no experience whatsoever . Just thought i'd share it with everyone. I have alot of questions and learning to do.

This little guy is from a piece of firewood i had outback (i think walnut). This is way too fun and I hope to be posting some better pieces in the future. From all the work i have seen so far you guys are amazing!

A little about me:
Been living in VA Beach VA for the last 7 years.
I'm a squid (thats US Navy Sailor for anyone thats never herd of the term before)
Love rum and the beach- (i try to spend alot of time with them both)
I have a beautiful family and I live right by the oceanfront so life is good.......
Mahalo,
Cliff (SEA-LUFF)

View Profile of TIKI SEA-LUFF Send a personal message to TIKI SEA-LUFF  Email TIKI SEA-LUFF     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-28 2:26 pm   Permalink

aloha the tiki looks good just keep learning and have fun

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-28 3:25 pm   Permalink

Nice work. Welcome to the party!

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-28 4:36 pm   Permalink

Looks good Cliff - show a picture of the end of the log - that will help identify the wood. I like the finish - what did you use to get that grey seasoned look?

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI SEA-LUFF
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-29 07:11 am   Permalink

thanks guys i actually burned it again yesterday so it took out many of the chisel marks you see now. I also carved another little tiki to go with him.(i'll put the pics up later today).

As for the grey grainy look, its just handsanded. the key is to not go so deep, therefore you still have some of the cool top wood showing through.

As another side note: The above tiki has developed a large crack due to the wood being damp for so long outside and then being carved and brought inside. The crack runs full length down the face(of course.) The crack seemed to take the path of least resistance through the teeth and down alongside of the nose. To prevent this, I'm going to make a "sacrifical cut" on the backside of the log. I did it to 2 more logs i have to see what happens. Does anyone know anything about this? Like I said thease are just my first carvings from firewood i have outback so bare with me. Hope to get my hands on some good wood and do bigger and better things.

Cheers,
TIKI SEA-LUFF

View Profile of TIKI SEA-LUFF Send a personal message to TIKI SEA-LUFF  Email TIKI SEA-LUFF     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 10:30 am   Permalink

Hey Cliff,

Good work. Where do you live? I live down at the ocean front. There are 3 or 4 other VB people who have posted on here but none seem to last for more a couple of posts.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MAILMAN76
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-01 12:38 pm   Permalink

Hi

keep posting it s a nice peace of tiki art.

limo

View Profile of MAILMAN76 Send a personal message to MAILMAN76  Goto the website of MAILMAN76     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 12:47 pm   Permalink

Aloha Cliff,
Nice first carve. Keep it up and have fun while you're doin' it.

Mrs Hoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 7:53 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC Tiki Sea-Luff, don't luff yer sails around here, it won't get you anywhere either.
Nice first tiki for someone with No experience. It actually Does look pretty good and you should be Proud of it. Now if you are carving these same guys 6 or 7 tikis down the road, then you need to worry but this is a Perfece spring learning board. Every one you carve will be better and Better so keep Posting those pictures and we will help all we can.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI SEA-LUFF
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-09 3:26 pm   Permalink

whoa sorry i've been gone for a bit but i'm back carving again. today i just got a new dremel for the detail work, and found a nice old 3 ft oak log on the side of the road to boot. I'm also going to order some split 5 inch bamboo to do some mask work and to hang on walls and such. I'll do my best to stay updated on here.

cheers,
sea-luff

here is the link for the bamboo:http://www.anythingbamboo.com/TonkinPoles.htm

TIKI SEA-LUFF
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-16 3:07 pm   Permalink

Here was an old one i did (my second one) but i never put the pics up. Its just a simple one but i wanted to focus on the basics. Started carving a new one today for a friend so hopefully i will have him done by monday evening.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-18 3:21 pm   Permalink

Right on Nice work you have the bug now.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VBTIKI
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-19 08:13 am   Permalink

keep it up cliff the second one looked even better i like the burned look as well probably because im a pyro

later
VBTIKI

View Profile of VBTIKI Send a personal message to VBTIKI  Email VBTIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-21 07:57 am   Permalink

Lookin' good! Where do you live?

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI SEA-LUFF
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-25 5:54 pm   Permalink

Hey sorry been kinda busy lately. Started a new tiki yesterday hopefully it will be done this weekend but with the crazy weather who knows when i will get outside to finish it up. Its for my buddy so I'm really trying to step it up on this one a few notches.

Any ways thanks for all the kind comments i'm just trying to get the hang of this whole thing. I live in salt marsh behind shadowlawn. Its just close enough to the beach so i can ride bikes to surf and the bars, its niiiiiiiiice! Good to see you other VB cats on here!

Peace bros,
Tiki Sea-Luff

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation