FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Trader Vic's Bev Hills closing THIS TUESDAY???!!! . . .
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Bev Hills closing THIS TUESDAY???!!! . . .
atomikitty
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 01:12 am   Permalink

Hey friends.

I wanted to share some distressing / interesting news with e TC Ohana,

I just finished up my bartending shift at Saints and Sinners, and one of my customers happened to be a bartender over at Trader Vics Beverly Hills.
This person (who asked to not be named) told me that the staff has a 'meeting' tomorrow @ 10am, but as of now, the last day on the schedule is this Tuesday May 1st!!!!!

This person said they met a few months back with the current owner (Vic's grandson I believe) and he was all for the tiki community support and fighting to keep this landmark open. Unfortunatley, the Hilton corporation owns the land, and they have the last say. The impression I got (especially after talking to this employee) was that they always planned to close it down, and would rather do it without a big awareness raising send-off.

This great bartender appreciated the history of the bar, and the loyalty and support of the Tiki Central folks, and was nice enough to give me their number to let me know the latest scoop after the meeting tomorrow.

I will call them in the afternoon, and as soon as I know the latest, I will post it here.

I don't want to start a panic or a riot, and certainly not a slew of angry phone calls to Trader Vics.

If this is the state of affairs though, I am SO THANKFUL this customer came in today and gave me this info, and I wanted to share it all with you A.S.A.P.

More info tomorrow!

[ This Message was edited by: atomikitty 2007-04-30 01:12 ]

View Profile of atomikitty Send a personal message to atomikitty  Email atomikitty Goto the website of atomikitty     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-30 01:31 am   Permalink

speechless....... Thanks for the info, we will await further news. This is horrible....

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-30 05:29 am   Permalink

Well, I think we all knew this was going to happen eventually. At least the tiki community became visible as a faction that was supportive of the historic TV location. Next question....will Hilton be setting up a TV inside the hotel? Are they going to be auctioning off interior items from the bar...man that would be a mob scene!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-30 07:06 am   Permalink

Damn them! Damn them all to Hell!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-04-30 07:22 am   Permalink

Moved to general tiki forum....

*RED ALERT*

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 07:48 am   Permalink

I say to descend on it en masse and strip it of everything and then burn it down.

THEN folks would think twice before closing their tiki bars.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 08:41 am   Permalink

OMFing god. uh i feel like I just got sucker punched in the face.
Anybody up for TV's tonight Mon. april 30th?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2007-04-30 09:31 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 10:30 am   Permalink

Well, this sucks, but like Vamp said, we all knew it was headed this way. Maybe not this soon, but Big corporate doesnt want a fight. they already spent millions I'm sure in studies, surveys, and architectual designs for their "New" multi million dollar lofts. AtomKitty, thank you sooo much for posting this ALERT, and also your "client" for giving a heads up! My fingers are crossed for the TV staff that they will have a job at least throughout the summer, so incase they are displaced, they will have time to find a new home...I'm not going to jump to conclusions, but I am going to Trader Vics tonight, "just in case" to spend time in one of the last historical tiki joints on planet earth! As for them selling off the stuff, I Believe Trader Vics corporate will step in and take what they can, to furnish other Trader Vics.

I have to say this "meeting" they are having Tuesday is a bit distressing to me, and obviously the worker who dropped the dime... I've seen it done...Meeting on Tuesday to recieve notice of closure, pick up final paycheck and severance pay, not to open on Tuesday to the public forever more...That is worse case scenario of course, but I've gone through that before with no warning. If someone can call SOK and Ojaitimo(I dont have their contacts) and see if They'd like to join me tonight at TV, I'll be there about 4pm-5ish...BTD, I'll call you and see if you are going to stop by. Everyone, of course is encouraged to attend if you can. Not to make a spectacle of things, & NOT to jump to conclusions about the Employee meet on Tuesday, but a "get together" of sorts for those on TC and abroad, who are concerned.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 10:38 am   Permalink

Without jumping to conclusions, let me just say, WAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I had plans to visit this place in about a month for the first time! Not fair! Not fair!! So sad...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 11:44 am   Permalink

This comment was just posted on Humu Kon Tiki:

Quote:
Trader Vics is closed. Last night was the end.

I don't know who the poster was, but... that don't sound too good.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 12:04 pm   Permalink

Well, I'm heading over to TV's this evening for a final drink there...if they are infact still open.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 12:09 pm   Permalink

Just spoke to a very flustered woman on the phone at Trader Vic's. The line I was given was that Trader Vic's is closed "for remodels" and that the bar is moving to the hotel. I pressed for information, asking if it was going to still be Trader Vic's, and she was very uncomfortable, clearly not knowing what she was supposed to say. Put a fork in it, it's done.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 12:20 pm   Permalink

Yep. I just called and got the same response. So much for my dinner plans in two weeks! And I had never even been there!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 12:59 pm   Permalink

well son of a bitch.
guess were not going tonight.
If I lived closer, i'd drive by just to be sure.
But Anaheim to Beverly Hills to see that it is closed does not sound like fun to me.

Tiki Ti is the only place in town,now.
till somebody really steps up the tropical drink skills.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 1:06 pm   Permalink

Eater LA called and got the same spiel I got. They were told that Trader Vic's specialty cocktails will be served at another bar in the hotel, possibly Circa 55, which is near the pool. If the Trader Vic's bartenders move over to that bar, the drinks will be great, but if not, they probably won't be anything special. Many of the Trader Vic's bartenders have worked there for many, many years... I wouldn't be surprised if some of them decide they'd rather be retired than work at Circa 55. A sudden, semi-unexpected retirement would suck, though.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation