FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Vic's Bev Hills closing THIS TUESDAY???!!! . . .
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Bev Hills closing THIS TUESDAY???!!! . . .
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 11:19 pm   Permalink

We did, this was the usual response from various media. If they got Joe to believe the BS, the other media must have been easy for them to bamboozle.

I sent this to him today.

Dear Joe,

As of today Trader Vic's is closed in Beverly Hill's. Is this enough proof?

Tim Keenan Ojaitimo on Tiki Central

Barely Legal Radio <info@barelylegalradio.com> wrote:

(Quote)I've been hearing this rumor for 5 years and they deny it. Is there
proof that they are taking it out? (Quote)

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-04-30 23:32 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 11:26 pm   Permalink

Son of a Bitch this sucks....

I'm thanking my lucky stars that I got to go there in March. I would be even more pissed than I already am if I had missed out completely. Wish I had taken more pictures, and stolen my Mai Tai glass and a set of S&P shakers.

Damn.

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 06:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-30 18:34, Digitiki wrote:
I just started a thread called "Pics of Vic's" I wanna encourage everyone with pictures of their experiences at Trader Vics to post a kinda memorial pictoral!

Well, drat. I had a digital recording of a Food Network show about cocktails that was filmed in Vic's Beverly Hills. I searched and searched and that recording seems to be MIA. The manager and one of the bartenders were featured on it and he made a Mai Tai and a Tiki Puka Puka for the host. The show was pretty silly (as most of these shows are), but it had some decent shots of the bar area and was probably one of the very few times one of the Filipino bartenders got to strut his stuff in front of the camera.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 07:57 am   Permalink

Head Shrinker and I were going to eat dinner there on the 7th. Boooooooo!!

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 09:24 am   Permalink

I just called Trader Vics Corporate offices just to ask them why they allowed a soft closing of TV...I recieved another number to call....Offices of Hollenbeck and Associates, I think, and the contact to speak with was Clay Doherty. He was unable to answer my question at this time, but He said they are putting together a press release, and he is going to email me the release.
His number is

Clay Doherty
415-227-1150 ext 13

Trader Vic's Corporate Offices is
Tel: 415-927-9788
I would call them, just to let them know how upset this community really is. The more calls they get, the more they might see the big picture. They are taking away something that will never come back in true form, so by me placing that phonecall allows them to know that there are people upset about the issue, and also lets them know that what they did isn't cool at all. I even asked to speak with Robert L. Davies who is the current President & C.E.O....lol
My fight isn't over until they have ALL heard my breath...As long as I still have people to tell and something to say, I will continue my efforts at heightening an awareness about the demise of the second oldest, Trader Vics 90210....

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattesq
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-01 10:07 am   Permalink

I heard on the news today that Trader Vics will still offer a poolside bar/restaurant at the Beverly Hilton which will open in a few weeks, and will still serve their signature drinks. Dissapointing to lose the original space, but there wasn't much left of it at this point, besides that great entryway and the mai-tais. I had more than a few dissapointing meals there...

View Profile of mattesq Send a personal message to mattesq      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 10:30 am   Permalink

I now know where Trader Vic's has been moved to. It is inside Circa55
I watched the Fox11 news, and they did a helicopter flyover the pool area. If you enter Circa55 from the Hotel entry and walk straight out the back glass doors to the pool area,If you turn around,you will see the makeshift neon Trader Vic's sign that leads back into Circa55....Now thats class...blah!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 10:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-30 20:51, RevBambooBen wrote:
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot......

Sssshhhh, Ben, ist ja gut, ist ja gut...we share your loss and pain. It's another little death. This has been going on for a hundred years. Here's what I wrote in Chapter 18 of Tiki Modern (entitled "THE DECLINE OF TIKI ...and the Fall of the House of Witco"):

"...In an ironic twist of history repeating itself, the new Tiki temples of Polynesian pop met the same fate as their antecedents of Polynesian antiquity. They fell into disrepair and were razed (or remodeled into unrecognizable stucco boxes).
This consequence of a changing times was nothing new: Lotte Lenya intoned Bertold Brechts "Bilbao Song" ("Bill's ballroom in Bilbao, Bilbao / Now it's renovated-- into something decent / Like every other establishment") decades before Joni Mitchell sang, "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" about the razing of the Garden of Allah apartment complex..."

The loss of this urban Eden is what supposedly inspired that song:
http://www.gardenofallah.com/GOA_original.asp

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 12:17 pm   Permalink

what the...? Closed?! I can't believe it! I'm glad I got to go as many times as I did, but now where am I going to get all my Menehunes? This SUCKS!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 12:57 pm   Permalink

Don't call Trader Vic's HQ. Trader Vic's is a franchise. The owner of a franchise can do whatever they want. Close it or not. Thay can't renovate it into a non-TV place, but the corporate office of TV is not to blame here and has nothing to do with it.

It sucks, but, it's business. We on TC are not going to keep any place open by writing letters. Dollars keep a place open. We can help spread the word and encourage more people to seek these places out, but we can't keep them open. We can only encourage others to have a better appreciation for the past and the icons of the past and to see them in a new and intersting light.

If America would stop thinking that Tuscany or Athens was the ideal and we should build our places to look like theirs, we might get somewhere. But when every new shopping center has a vaguely Meditereanian vibe going on, getting people to be excited about mid-century moderm or primitive is just not happening. Maybe Mahiki will start a wave in the UK that will spread to the US...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 1:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Would be of great interest as to how all the decorum will be recycled (and hopefully not destroyed). Apparently it is way out of the hands of the people that loved the bar/service...hence the police guards. SIGH

I'm guessing anything reusable will go into storage somewhere awaiting a new place to re-emerge. There are several items in Dallas that came from Chicago and part of the bar came from Japan.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 2:10 pm   Permalink

“Forget it, Jake. It’s Chinatown.”

Been so busy this past week or so, I was surprised to get a call from Jay Platt at the LA Conservancy yesterday afternoon. I hadn’t seen him since our get-together at Trader Vic’s BH on the last (and turns out it would indeed be the last) “Save Trader Vic’s 90210” gathering on March 17th, although we had briefly exchanged emails, and I was looking forward to catching up with what the LAC and ModComs had been discussing. He thanked me again for the research and phone logs I'd sent along last month, and then gave me the grim news. Closed?! What a thin blade was used here...

After all, those of us (you know who you are) who were there passing out our first “Save TV’s 90210” stickers to a packed house last St. Patty’s, were told by several members of the Staff they had been given the impression the place wouldn’t be closed until ’08. Well, “Forget it, Jake.” The Fix is In.

Hopefully the sum of these TC posts may serve as an example of how a group of people who cared about saving a legend got their “votes” at least noticed by some of the key “officials involved”, who possibly may have seen the writing could be starting on the opposite wall, if those who voted were joined by still more “voters” in the glare of any future open debate. Most especially before the Preservation Convention is held in LA this month, where a dedicated campaign may have gained some formidable allies.

That’s probably why there’s been no “Farewell Event” announced – the cowardly fashion of this quietly abrupt termination is as insensitive and inelegant -– and disrespective of our history -- as the rest of what’s planned to take TV’s place. ('Hey, like we’re gonna let “some little restaurant” stall the “Manhattanization of Beverly Hills”…? Sheesh, get outta the way, kid. We’re doin’ this our way, whatever it is anybody wants, get it?')

And I’ll say it here now, I’m calling every executive who had anything to do with formulating, approving, and executing this extermination of one of the world’s grand palaces of Polynesian Pop, beloved by its patrons high and low, complicit in what appears to be the craven attempt to close TV’s 90210 with as little noise as possible. I’m also calling upon them to redeem themselves in two ways:

1.) Throw Trader Vic’s a PROPER farewell. Tab’s on Benny, who’s not invited, but goes high on it anyway. Spend for a nicely produced video documentary, some quality Ken Burns-ish photomontage so everyone’ll see TVsBH's unique history and guests, intercut with some history on the life of Vic Bergeron, and coverage from the lavishly promoted and star-studded "Trader Vic's Farewell Bash" (did we mention that’s all on Benny?) AND,

2.) Do an “Indiana Jones”-level “archaeological rescue”: every bit of wood, rope, glass & iron. Insist that Trader Vic’s décor and architecture not be "parted out" and scattered to the wind, but carefully dismantled to be reassembled elsewhere -– with museum-caliber recreation. Like there’s not enough money and talent for this in Hollywoodland? Oh, please. Benny “and the gang” really ought to pony up a few mil for turning our hallowed ground into a f—ing driveway for the Bloatdorff, and it could be very good for his kharma, which he may want to look to, considering quite a number of TC Members do, in fact, own tikis, which we all know harbor strange and mysterious powers. So, decent $$, Benny, no scrimping.

Let us not suffer The Developers’ (and their Complicits’) quietly brutal victory without demanding an appeal as the vanquished to their invaders – throw a G**Damned Party, at least! Don’t knife her in the dark. ‘Cause I say that’s the way it looks to me. So go on put egg on my face. Make me a liar. THROW A REAL FAREWELL BASH, in and for this most urbanely storied of tiki bars. If the media won’t come for the mission, maybe they’ll show up for the wake.

I don’t know who else may agree here, but as for me those are my sentiments, as well as my appeal for a strangely ethical, sadly profitable demonstration of conscience from Among Those in power who may regard TV’s lore and memory as much as those who spoke out against her loss, and can make a good show of things if they want to. Let them show us they do understand and at least theoretically value the importance of special places in the world, even if money can indeed buy them.

These TC Threads now become part of Trader Vic’s BH lore, here in the century after she was built, chronicling her (as it would turn out) last months as a still-thriving, alluring and notorious adventure in drinking and dining, her reputation as glossy as ever. She will be remembered as a true oasis in a sea of palms swaying against a tropical sky, where the tikis came from Oceania (& Oceanic Arts), the rum from the Blue Caribbean, the fittings from “The Mutiny On The Bounty”, the personality from Old and New Hollywood -- and the food came on fire, sprinkled with a bit of stardust.

Aloha to the Fighters and the Voters, and all those who loved her and wished her well.

SOK

(ps: Last-minute checking before posting here with the Hilton's executive offices, according to whom, portions of the bar and decor have already been dismantled and are being refitted into the "C-55" venue. No "Trader Vic's branding" is to be evident, I was told, and Trader Vic's Beverly Hills is not going to reopen. What a brilliantly dirty move to rip her heart out to use as filler for some cobbled-up nightspot. Even if a resituation could've been negotiated, she's already been "chopped". Grrrrr.)

and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ This Message was edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-05-01 18:04 ]

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 3:42 pm   Permalink

The response from Marie, and below that is the OFFICIAL press release

Dear Tom -- I represent Oasis West who owns The Beverly Hilton and Clay Doherty representing Trader Vic’s, Inc. asked me to forward you the press release on the relocation of Trader Vic's to the pool at The Beverly Hilton.

I also understand that you had a question on the timing of the relocation.

As you know, Oasis West made a decision almost two years ago to close Trader Vic's, the timing was undecided at that time. But after the completion of our new Circa 55 restaurant and discussions with the community and Trader Vic’s, Inc. – we began working with Trader Vic’s, Inc to find a way to keep Trader Vic’s at The Beverly Hilton.

Just like our entire renovation of The Beverly Hilton, we have tried to honor the things that people love about the hotel’s past while bringing The Beverly Hilton into the 21st Century. We believe the relocation of Trader Vic’s by the pool is the right balance between the past and the future. We have brought some of the key elements of the original restaurant into a new island-inspired poolside atmosphere.

In terms of timing, we have tried to balance many important priorities for our employees, our guests and the hotel operations.

One, to finalize an agreement with Trader Vic’s and creating a compelling new Lounge.
Two, to make sure that we took care of our employees and honored our union contract.
Three, we needed to have our new hotel restaurant, Circa 55, up and running. And;
Four, we wanted to minimize the guest impact of any relocation or disruption in service at Trader Vic’s and be ready before our important summer season. To that end, we are opening Trader Vic's Lounge this Thursday, May 3rd at its new poolside location.

We are excited about the new poolside Trader Vic’s Lounge which will bring memorable elements of the original Trader Vic’s restaurant, the same signature drink and appetizer menu, drink vessels and key staff. We hope you will come by and see for yourself.

Hope this answers your questions.

Marie Garvey

####################OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE############################
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: APRIL 30, 2007
Media Contact:
Marie Garvey, Garvey Communications
310-689-7490
mtg@garveycommunications.com

THE BEVERLY HILTON TRADER VIC’S TO RELOCATE

Restaurant Moves Poolside as the Final Stage of Hotel Renovation

BEVERLY HILLS, CA – Trader Vic’s Restaurant Group and Oasis West Realty, LLC, owner of The Beverly Hilton, announced today the relocation of Trader Vic’s to The Beverly Hilton pool area as the new Trader Vic’s Lounge, which will open on May 3, 2007. The updated Polynesian themed indoor/outdoor Trader Vic’s finalizes the comprehensive renovation of the 570-room hotel located on the corner of Wilshire and Santa Monica Boulevards in Beverly Hills, California.

“This begins a new chapter for Trader Vic’s and The Beverly Hilton,” said Beny Alagem, of Oasis West Realty. “Like our entire renovation, we have taken steps to honor what people love about the hotel’s exciting past while bringing The Beverly Hilton into 21st Century. We believe that guests and residents will love Trader Vic’s new location with memorable features from the original restaurant in a new poolside island-inspired atmosphere.”

The new Trader Vic’s Lounge will be located next to the new Circa 55 restaurant and the Aqua Star pool area. The menu will feature Trader Vic’s signature drinks including the world-famous Mai Tai, invented by Victor “Trader Vic” Bergeron, the Scorpion Bowl and appetizer plates that are ideal for sharing with friends.

“We are pleased that the popularity of Trader Vic’s continues to grow around the globe, ” said Robert Davies, President and CEO of Trader Vic’s. “Our loyal patrons and hotel guests can be assured that while the atmosphere may be more casual, our new Beverly Hills offering will continue to reflect the finest of our company’s island-style service and culinary quality.”
The Trader Vic’s Lounge will open at the pool area on May 3, 2007 and the existing restaurant will close on April 30, 2007. Signature interior elements from the existing Trader Vic’s restaurant will be relocated to the new Trader Vic’s Lounge.

About Trader Vic’s Inc.
Founded in 1934, Trader Vic’s Inc. is a group of company-owned and franchised restaurants. Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Trader Vic’s has locations stretching from the United States to Europe, the Middle East and Asia. For more information visit www.tradervics.com.

Media Contact for Trader Vic’s Restaurant Group: Clay Doherty, Hollenbeck Associates 415-227-1150 ext. 13 or clay@hollenbeckassociates.com.

About The Beverly Hilton
9876 Wilshire Blvd, Beverly Hills, California 90210 (310) 274-7777 www.beverlyhilton.com

Opened in 1955 by distinguished hotelier Conrad Hilton, The Beverly Hilton has combined the excitement and entertainment of Hollywood with the elegance of Beverly Hills for over 50 years. Located at the corner of Wilshire and Santa Monica Boulevards, the 570-room hotel features 101 suites including the nine private luxury suites within The Penthouse Collection. With more than 60,000 square feet of upscale indoor and open-air event space all on the lobby level, the hotel's famed International Ballroom is the centerpiece of the new International Collection. Home of many notable annual events including the Golden Globe Awards(r), Oscar Nominee Luncheon and the Milken Institute's Global Conference, The Beverly Hilton offers three award-winning ballrooms, nine additional meeting rooms, an Executive Meeting Center with unrivaled AVT Event Technology to make any meeting a success.

Owned by entertainer, Merv Griffin from 1987 to 2003, Beny Alagem and Oasis West Realty LLC purchased the Beverly Hilton in late 2003. Immediately embarking on an $80 million reinvention of the property, Oasis West Realty redefined the luxury hotel to a level of sophistication synonymous with the Beverly Hills

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2007-05-01 15:46 ]

PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 4:09 pm   Permalink

"Relocated" my ass. What a PR hack job.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
reedalong
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-01 4:46 pm   Permalink

This is so sad. When they closed T.V. Chicago I knew I could always go back to my old stomping ground in LA - and now that's gone too. Here's hoping the Trader finds a new partner in LA (as they have done in Chicago) and opens a new place (as they have yet to do in Chicago).

- strictly on the kini popo -

View Profile of reedalong Send a personal message to reedalong      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation