FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Vic's Bev Hills closing THIS TUESDAY???!!! . . .
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Bev Hills closing THIS TUESDAY???!!! . . .
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 12:40 pm   Permalink

I don't know why everybody is so upset. The people at the Hilton say this is the best thing to ever happen to Beverly Hills!

Sorry--I'm as bummed out as everybody...

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
icebaer69
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 12:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-02 12:03, Tom Slick wrote:
...For me, it's the fact that the actual building that housed Trader Vic's has the History since 1955...
I was all about the mid century design, and the fact that Sinatra might have sat in the same chair that I did.
Its the ambience, and the history for me...

exactly !!!

View Profile of icebaer69 Send a personal message to icebaer69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 1:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-02 12:03, Tom Slick wrote:For me, it's the fact that the actual building that housed Trader Vic's has the History since 1955...Not some last minute moving attitude "Lets put a nautical float here" type setup...MY support for Trader Vic's in general is deceased. I was all about the mid century design, and the fact that Sinatra might have sat in the same chair that I did. Its the ambience, and the history for me. It's not about the pupu platter(which is great) served in another makeshift TV, but it was the pupu platter being served in the original location where it started. Maybe its psychological for me, But removing Trader Vic's 1955 to be replaced by a Trader Vic's lounge(-history -full menu -decor) and it is now become Generic Vic's 2.0

Agree. Exactly how I feel. And to even suggest that one of the most classic Trader Vic's restaurants and bars in the world has been "relocated" to the pool where they've probably moved some of the artifacts and put in a couple more potted planters...really adds insult to injury, IMHO. Whatever ends up by the pool will not, in any way, be Trader Vic's Beverly Hills.

And even if they have the same pupus and great bartenders making great traditional Trader Vic's drinks...no matter how much I would want to partake in that "better something than nothing" experience...I'm really hesitant to contribute even one dime toward the coffers of the owners of the Beverly Hilton, after the shameless action they just pulled...and then furthering the insult by issuing that totally B.S. and almost "backdated" Press Release.

I'm an adult. If after a good battle to save Trader Vic's, they decided to still close it...I could live with that. But if a historically important, still popular, and much loved restaurant like the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's was to die...they should have at the very least given it a proper burial and send-off. But to just slit its throat in the dark of the night and then place its head on a pole out by the pool and expect the public to say, "Oh...well...that's not so bad"...is just a shame.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do these kinds of things. And IMHO, the Beverly Hilton and all involved did it the totally wrong chicken-shit weasel kind of way.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 2:21 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2007-05-02 13:48, PremEx wrote:
Quote:

I'm an adult. If after a good battle to save Trader Vic's, they decided to still close it...I could live with that. But if a historically important, still popular, and much loved restaurant like the Beverly Hills Trader Vic's was to die...they should have at the very least given it a proper burial and send-off. But to just slit its throat in the dark of the night and then place its head on a pole out by the pool and expect the public to say, "Oh...well...that's not so bad"...is just a shame.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do these kinds of things. And IMHO, the Beverly Hilton and all involved did it the totally wrong chicken-shit weasel kind of way.

I couldn't have said it any better!

You know, I got to really thinking about this f'ed up situation, and I have drawn my own conclusions. First off, If Beny Alegem and his "Oasis" company would have really taken any consideration, They COULD have built the two luxury towers ABOVE the Original location of trader vic's, thus leaving this sacred establishment entact. If they would have put that into consideration, everyone would have won.

And say if Trader Vic's corporation decided at the end of their contract lease(whenever that would be), that they no longer wanted to run that facility,and pull out Trader Vic's, THEN Beny could have utilized the space as another ballroom, banquet room, convention room, conference room or even a nightclub. It would not have caused any wasted space. But Good old fashioned "Bribes" played favor. In exchange for the City of Beverly Hills "allowing" Mr. Alegem a green light to have his luxury towers built, he gives the city an extra lane on Wilshire Blvd. to "Help" alleviate traffic. How nice and thoughtful of Mr Alegem. It is only a "gift" worth on paper a measly $8 million dollars...Greased pockets is the equivalation to "RESPECT MONEY,NOT CULTURES" which I'm sure is how Beverly Hills was founded anyhow...

I have seen alot of American Mid century culture lost, mainly due to lack of understanding what American Pop Culture is, and how it has played a vital and important role in our Country. Yet, Mr.Alegem is a first generation Israelite(former tank driver for the Israeli Army), so what can he possibly understand of "American Pop Culture"....It's harsh,I know, but it's real.

Just the same fate as what happened to Harveys(Later renamed Johnnies)Broiler on Firestone Blvd. in Downey. Now I'm not about to stir a debate as to what his nationality has to do with his decision to axe the original Trader Vic's location, but it seems odd that alot of this type of "devolution" as someone would say, happens by the hand of first gen'ers...Lack of understanding pop culture would seem the root of preservation problems, hence the example of Mr. Alegems NOT being able to relate to a successful pop cultural landmark.

It's all of our roots that form this world we live in, but by destroying what the past has offered us I feel, is not the total answer. Some things do need to go away due to progress like the Commodore 64 computers, But my concern is what will we have to show any future generations 20 years from now about our pasts, what we did for fun, or for leisure when it is all gone?...A Museum dedicated to it? or a chain of "Jim's House of Mai Tais" as big as Starbucks serving watered down corn syrup infested poison claiming "Just like they used to Make"? You be the judges....

*Edited for the spelling bee*

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2007-05-02 15:26 ]

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 3:04 pm   Permalink

This was the scene on Wilshire blvd yesterday that ended in the riot with people being shot with rubber bullets.

And this is the scene on Wilshire blvd about 5 miles to the west on Sunday.

Perhaps they wanted to avoid a demonstration on Wilshire blvd where Trader Vic's is about mid point between these two unrelated events.
Isn't life strange?

Life is a state of mind

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-05-02 15:35 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-02 4:55 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2007-05-02 14:21, Tom Slick wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-05-02 13:48, PremEx wrote:
Quote:

I couldn't have said it any better!

You know, I got to really thinking about this f'ed up situation, and I have drawn my own conclusions. First off, If Beny Alegem and his "Oasis" company would have really taken any consideration, They COULD have built the two luxury towers ABOVE the Original location of trader vic's, thus leaving this sacred establishment entact. If they would have put that into consideration, everyone would have won.

And say if Trader Vic's corporation decided at the end of their contract lease(whenever that would be), that they no longer wanted to run that facility,and pull out Trader Vic's, THEN Beny could have utilized the space as another ballroom, banquet room, convention room, conference room or even a nightclub. It would not have caused any wasted space. But Good old fashioned "Bribes" played favor. In exchange for the City of Beverly Hills "allowing" Mr. Alegem a green light to have his luxury towers built, he gives the city an extra lane on Wilshire Blvd. to "Help" alleviate traffic. How nice and thoughtful of Mr Alegem. It is only a "gift" worth on paper a measly $8 million dollars...Greased pockets is the equivalation to "RESPECT MONEY,NOT CULTURES" which I'm sure is how Beverly Hills was founded anyhow...

I have seen alot of American Mid century culture lost, mainly due to lack of understanding what American Pop Culture is, and how it has played a vital and important role in our Country. Yet, Mr.Alegem is a first generation Israelite(former tank driver for the Israeli Army), so what can he possibly understand of "American Pop Culture"....It's harsh,I know, but it's real.

Just the same fate as what happened to Harveys(Later renamed Johnnies)Broiler on Firestone Blvd. in Downey. Now I'm not about to stir a debate as to what his nationality has to do with his decision to axe the original Trader Vic's location, but it seems odd that alot of this type of "devolution" as someone would say, happens by the hand of first gen'ers...Lack of understanding pop culture would seem the root of preservation problems, hence the example of Mr. Alegems NOT being able to relate to a successful pop cultural landmark.

It's all of our roots that form this world we live in, but by destroying what the past has offered us I feel, is not the total answer. Some things do need to go away due to progress like the Commodore 64 computers, But my concern is what will we have to show any future generations 20 years from now about our pasts, what we did for fun, or for leisure when it is all gone?...A Museum dedicated to it? or a chain of "Jim's House of Mai Tais" as big as Starbucks serving watered down corn syrup infested poison claiming "Just like they used to Make"? You be the judges....

*Edited for the spelling bee*

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2007-05-02 15:26 ]

I totally agree, and made a similar point here
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5513&start=0 and got the word "Xenophobia" tossed around.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2007-05-02 16:56 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 5:12 pm   Permalink

I've shared my thoughts on the current direction of Trader Vic's in a lengthy post on my blog:

Trader Vic’s Becomes Trader Meh

Those press releases are so blase as to be infuriating. I do feel for them -- I'm sure they didn't want to be banished to the pool. But their "nothing's really changing!" attitude, combined with their lackluster efforts with the new locations... they're just so far from the Trader Vic's I want to support.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-02 5:33 pm   Permalink

Well said on your blog Humu....it leaves a corporate knife sticking out of your back!!! The chain really should change their name to Trator Sick....cause it is just so sickening.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 6:38 pm   Permalink

Ohana:

Ironically, developers (large and small) live in a fantasy world far removed from our own. They genuinely believe that their ideas of urban development are bettering the world around them. They cannot understand that "old" can be a good thing. Developers see open lands or older properties as antiquated and lack-luster. We in the preservation field constantly push for the establishment of districts that are governed by zoning ordinances. This is the only way to keep these mis-guided souls in check. When protective measures are in place and part of public policy there isn't much they can do except buy off a politician...

The only thing I can suggest at this point is to utilize the latest edition of "TIKI ROAD TRIP" and pin-point mid-century/tiki sites that need protection. If they are fifty years old or older lets get them on the National Register. We can get a step ahead of development trends and raise local awareness before sh** hits the fan. Planning...Planning...Planning. Get ahead of them.

What cranks my ass is (when protective measures aren't in place) that they don't ask for the opinions of the "little people." Instead they rock our world with their fat-cat design schemes and then expect us to except it and live with it. Developers don't care about whats right for our communites only whats right for them. @#!!*@##!!!!

Swamp

View Profile of Swamp Tiki Send a personal message to Swamp Tiki  Email Swamp Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 6:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-02 12:40, pappythesailor wrote:
I don't know why everybody is so upset. The people at the Hilton say this is the best thing to ever happen to Beverly Hills!

Sorry--I'm as bummed out as everybody...

Green Space? I tought that Southern California had watering restrictions.

View Profile of Swamp Tiki Send a personal message to Swamp Tiki  Email Swamp Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 9:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-02 09:57, tikiyaki wrote:
So, now it's a "Diet" Trader Vics ? Better than none at all I s'pose....

Such is true. It is horrible, but some tiki is much better than none.
I'll probably be in the house around 8:30 to mark the "opening."

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 10:18 pm   Permalink

Regarding the sudden closure:
I went there two weeks ago and the bartender by the pool (I think it's called Circa ? ) and said he knew nothing about the rumor of closing. That's what you call brainwashing.
I have seen this strategy of closing overnight at work up here. It's the quickest way to eliminate any employee union delays, let alone any protester delays in this matter.
When your closed,
case closed.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surffnutt3000

Posted: 2007-05-02 10:32 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: surffnutt3000 2007-05-14 20:42 ]

View Profile of surffnutt3000 Send a personal message to surffnutt3000      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 11:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-02 18:38, Swamp Tiki wrote:
Ohana:

Ironically, developers (large and small) live in a fantasy world far removed from our own. They genuinely believe that their ideas of urban development are bettering the world around them.

... We in the preservation field constantly push for the establishment of districts that are governed by zoning ordinances. This is the only way to keep these mis-guided souls in check. When protective measures are in place and part of public policy there isn't much they can do except buy off a politician...

Developers don't care about whats right for our communites only whats right for them. @#!!*@##!!!!
Swamp

Swamp,
Everyone is pissed that TV is closed, I think it SUCKS!
However, All developers?? Come on this is 2007, we can play better than that! I am a developer and everything you said is so false, perhaps for some but I take offense to your statements! ZONING ORDINANCES? Yeah that's a good idea, give the government something else to screw up.
Bottom line, like it or not, IT DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU. It belongs to them, they get to decide and I would go to arms to protect that right. I don't want them to close it but in the USA, we have freedoms and liberties and it is their choice.
Your last line about developers only want what's right for them...that is true of Planning departments in cities and counties.
I do not want to light you up and I understand the feelings, trust me, I wanted to take my daughter and her husband there in July.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 11:49 pm   Permalink

One last thought, it has kinda struck me funny that TV was where it was and that it lasted as long as it did. Lets face it, Tiki is some what lowbrow and most of us do not travel in the Beverly Hills Hilton crowd.(Most of those people think a "Pin-up" is what what their plastic surgeon does to your forehead.)
The only reason I would ever step into that building would be for Vic's and I have not been able to afford it since 1973 when I first saw it at my High School Prom next door. I am going to assume that the replacement place will be zoomy for the BH crowd and I would not be caught dead there. I will assume that will be okay with them also. I will however go get a drink out by the pool because who knows how long that will last. We need to support that so it stays around.
Blame it on that damn hip-hop music.

[ This Message was edited by: bananabobs 2007-05-02 23:51 ]

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation