FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki So now Los Angeles area is down to how many classic Tiki Eaterys/bars?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
So now Los Angeles area is down to how many classic Tiki Eaterys/bars?
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 12:08 am   Permalink

I can only think of two(maybe 3) places that are still on the map. Both are post mid century, but hell...they are about all we have
1. Tiki Ti
2. Bahookas
3. Damon's(I cannot confirm whether or not its still considered tiki)

Is there any other spots where you can grab some grog and grub and still feel the nostalgia(not to be confused with newstalgia) of the location?

*didn't know if this post could be related here or locating tiki folder*
Sorry if this belongs in Locating folder.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 12:14 am   Permalink

Tonga Hut
Hale Hawaii (?)
Hawaiian Room (?)

There's no doubt the ranks are thinning, but there's still more vintage stuff than anywhere else.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 10:15 am   Permalink

Most of the "classic" tiki places are gone from everywhere, not just LA. The only good news is that new ones continue to pop up to carry on the tradition.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 10:20 am   Permalink

Quote:
Hale Hawaii (?)

Still there. I drop in about once or twice a month. Nothing's changed since my last report in this thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4796&forum=2

Fun little neighborhood bar, but certainly nothing on the scale of say a Trader Vic's or Bahooka.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 12:52 pm   Permalink

The Warehouse in Marina Del Rey may not be traditional tiki but the owner Lee Spencer spent his birthday at Trader Vic's recently and told me he would like to add more tiki elements to the Warehouse. He is usually there on Wed and Fri evening if any one wants to ask him about it.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-05-01 12:52 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 07:50 am   Permalink

The thing that set Trader Vic's apart from the other Tiki establishments, including the other "classic" ones is the quality of the drinks. The drinks at Trader Vic's and Tiki Ti are orders of magnitude ahead of everywhere else. At Hale Hawaii only the Scorpion is in that class, and while the quality of the food at Damon's has improved significantly, the drinks remain very ho-hum to sometime downright bad. As much as I love Bahooka, the drinks there remain nothing to rave about, either. Trader Vic's was the last of the old school Polynesian restaurants that combines a sense of upscale elegance with good food and excellent exotic cocktails. Some of the drinks on their menu were better even than those of Tiki Ti. I can make a Mai Tai at home that will be pretty close, but now I have to travel 400 miles Emeryville or San Francisco to get a Navy Grog of that quality.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 07:59 am   Permalink

PiPhiRho, I agree with you 100%. Tim, here is an idea maybe Lee Spenser should hire a couple of the bartenders from Trader Vic's like Alfie and Ben and then everything will be ok.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 08:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-02 07:50, PiPhiRho wrote:
The thing that set Trader Vic's apart from the other Tiki establishments, including the other "classic" ones is the quality of the drinks.

As well as their mugs and bowls.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-01 00:08, Tom Slick wrote:
I can only think of two(maybe 3) places that are still on the map. Both are post mid century, but hell...they are about all we have
1. Tiki Ti
2. Bahookas

Is there any other spots where you can grab some grog and grub and still feel the nostalgia(not to be confused with newstalgia) of the location?

Wait...how can Damons NOT be considered Tiki ? It's VERY Tiki. It's not necessarily Polynesian, but how many classic Tiki restaurants had real Polynesian food? Even La Mariana sailing club is nothing more than a Tiki Steakhouse, foodwise. Damons has LOTS of Tikis and Tiki decor in there.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 3:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-02 07:59, hiltiki wrote:
PiPhiRho, I agree with you 100%. Tim, here is an idea maybe Lee Spenser should hire a couple of the bartenders from Trader Vic's like Alfie and Ben and then everything will be ok.

Here here, I agree, that would be a terrific idea.
somebody mention that to Lee.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 3:08 pm   Permalink

Good idea Hiltiki, I will be there this Friday but if anyones goes tonite, please suggest it to him.

Life is a state of mind

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 08:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-01 00:08, Tom Slick wrote:
1. Tiki Ti
2. Bahookas

I would add the Trader Vic's @ LA Live. Even though it is new, it is designed in the classic Tiki style, and is worthy of being added to the list.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2010-09-14 15:08 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-14 09:53 am   Permalink

purple orchid---- the galley---

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 1:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-14 09:53, ron-tiki wrote:
purple orchid---- the galley---

Oh, I get it, but is the Galley tikified?
As much as I love Purple Orchid, for about a year, I used to go there every Fri night, it has yet to reach a "historic classic" longetivity, although this being LA, it may in about 2 more years.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2010-09-14 14:25 ]

ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-14 3:39 pm   Permalink

the galley is the oldest bar and restaurant in santa monica..although it is not tiki it has a lot of tiki /nautical elements like bamboo, puffer fish, etc..

[ This Message was edited by: ron-tiki 2010-09-14 15:40 ]

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation