FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » UPDATE! Hukilau Zombie Glasses & Pendant!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
UPDATE! Hukilau Zombie Glasses & Pendant!
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 4:00 pm   Permalink

In Hukilau's continued effort to preserve the past, this years mug is a design in honor of the Mai Kai's early years. At the request of Tiki Kiliki, Paul from Munktiki used the Cannibal Tikis which were so dominant in Mai Kai's marketing from the beginning. The Cannibals were used in magazine ads, on the cover of their dinner and drink menus in 1956 and 1957, on coasters, napkins, matchbooks and swizzles. For several years Donn Beach's cannibal tikis peered proudly atop the Mai Kai sign illuminated by the gas torches each evening. They were removed in the late 60's and are now stored in the Mai Kai's warehouse.

Vintage Mai Kai ads and miniature cocktail menu courtesy of Ron Licudine. Coaster and matchbook from the collection of Tiki Kiliki.

Photo courtesy of Swankpad.org - Original sign with Cannibal Tikis featured above

The 2007 Hukilau mug features a design that Paul (Munktiki) was inspired from which is seen in the photo below. The intricately carved poles are holding up the Mai Kai sign.

Photo courtesy of the Mai Kai archives - Inset detail is design reflected on 2007 mug

Hukilau 2007 Munktiki Mug - Limited Edition of 300
All mugs will be sold in numerical order beginning with #11 - you will be notified via email with the number/numbers you have ordered.
all mugs will ship on or after June 1, 2007
Each mug is priced at $65 + shipping / limit 2 per person

Purchase here from The Hukilau Website!

The mug holds 4 cups and is 5 3/4 tall and 4 1/2 inches wide.

Inset detail of Hukilau 2007 decal on side of mug

Purchase now and avoid the lines at the event. Other Official Hukilau Merchandise to debut in the coming weeks!

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki 2007-05-01 19:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki 2007-06-05 17:37 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 5:35 pm   Permalink

I think I have become stupid in my lust for this mug.....

Where can I get one?

Do we get to start a "list?"

****EDIT***

Now I know I have really gone stupid with lust..... I cant even get the link in the email to do anything.

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2007-05-01 17:45 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 5:52 pm   Permalink

The link in my email takes me to my paypal account, but then I'm not sure where to send $$.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MobileTikiBar
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-05-01 7:09 pm   Permalink

Removed html mumbo-jumbo

-adrian

http://www.rumreviews.com

[ This Message was edited by: MobileTikiBar 2007-05-01 19:31 ]

View Profile of MobileTikiBar Send a personal message to MobileTikiBar  Goto the website of MobileTikiBar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Orchid Wahine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-01 7:21 pm   Permalink

Hi everyone!

So sorry for the technical difficulties!! Please reference Kiliki's original post which now has a link to The Hukilau website for purchase. That'll take you straight to the necessary PayPal page and you'll be all set!

Thanks for your patience and noting the problem.

See you in June!
Orchid Wahine

View Profile of Orchid Wahine Send a personal message to Orchid Wahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 8:43 pm   Permalink

I usually don't do this, cause my Momma taught me that if I don't have something nice to say, say nothing. But, I have to make a comment here.

Yikes! I like this one, A LOT. Fine, fine work by Paul. Really an effective pairing of the past to the present. Munktiki has done some compelling pieces of late, and I keep thinking I've seen their best, yet they can pull off something new and interesting like this one. If I didn't hate to fly so much, I'd go to Hukilau!

I believe the mug weirdos are gonna be all over this one: A great Muniktiki design, fine historical connotations, and no waiting in line from 7:30 am!

No soy un weirdo de la taza, yo soy un capitán!
el midnite la bamba

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 11:35 pm   Permalink

Media Noche, tu si eres wierdo supremo!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 06:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-01 23:35, Tiki Diablo wrote:
Media Noche, tu si eres wierdo supremo!

What he said!!!!!

Beautiful!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 06:35 am   Permalink

.........real solid design. I love it!

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 07:22 am   Permalink

That is one fine mug! It has that wonderful old look like it was dug up from the remains of some tiki bar past. I don't drool over too many new mugs, but this one's special and is going right next to my Hukilau 2006 mug. I think it will be love at first sight for those two.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 07:48 am   Permalink

I agree. I was stunned when he sent the photos to me. We had several colors to choose from but this one was the obvious choice! So sorry about the trouble with the link everyone!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 2:30 pm   Permalink

That is a most handsome looking mug, I ain't gonna lie to ya! Is there a particular drink recommended to fill it with?

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 2:05 pm   Permalink

This mug is GORGEOUS!!!! I can't wait to see it in person! Miss Kiliki, once again you have enticed us ALL!

So Much Love,
Tikilicious

[ This Message was edited by: Tikilicious 2007-05-04 14:06 ]

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 7:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-02 14:30, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
That is a most handsome looking mug, I ain't gonna lie to ya! Is there a particular drink recommended to fill it with?

See
War God. 9 out of 10 cannibals recommend it.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Karbora
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-05 9:13 pm   Permalink

Another great mug to honor the Mai Kai. Congrats to TK and Muntiki for this winning creation. A "War God" seems the fitting drink for such a vessel...

View Profile of Karbora Send a personal message to Karbora      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation