[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Shrunken Skull
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Shrunken Skull
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 2:26 pm   Permalink

This is a unique drink, from the Mai-Kai. Anyone got the recipe? Got Skull?

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-03 09:25 am   Permalink

This is in either Grog Log or Exotica. I think it had about 4 ingredients...something like

1 oz lime juice
1 oz grenadine
2 oz - some rum -

Its good, and fairly quick to make.

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-03 11:46 am   Permalink

Thanks, Dem; I remember the grenadine, and also the cinnamon stick garnish/straw. I remember it was very tasty. That's about all I remember.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-03 1:33 pm   Permalink

Shrunken Skull:

Grog Log, Pg. 75

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-04 2:25 pm   Permalink

I just made a couple of "Shrunken Skulls" . . . or was it a few "Shrunken Skulls" . . . I'm not sure - I lost count.
Gonna take a nap now!

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 11:32 am   Permalink

I have done some research, and the 4-ingredient skull lacks something that the Mai-Kai one has. I remember the cinnamon stick, and possibly a few drops of bitters added body to the flavor, as did a splash of grapefruit, as suggested by Bargoyle. I think we're onto something here. This research is grueling and difficult, but oh, so gratifying!

DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-08 09:09 am   Permalink

The 4 ingredient Skull was working pretty well when I had company over and we were going through them like Sherman went through Atlanta. Having only 4 ingredients helped when making them over and over. That page in my Grog Log is pretty splattered.

I will get to the Mai Kai someday, and I'll try their version.

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 06:18 am   Permalink

I was at Pablus's house yesterday, got a look at his Grog Log, and looked up the Shrunken Skull. It actually calls for one oz. of Puerto Rican rum, and one of Demerara rum. Not sure how much effect that would have on the taste, but it must be some. What is the difference between Demerara rum and other rums?

[ This Message was edited by: The Mayor Of Exotica 2007-05-14 06:19 ]

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 10:13 am   Permalink

Demerara rums come from the Demerara region of Guyana, just to the north of Brazil, along the Demerara river. Popular brands of rum from the region include Lemon Hart and El Dorado. Lemon Hart, though difficult to find, is essential for a properly stocked tiki bar. Pablus didn't explain all this when you were there?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 10:37 am   Permalink

The Mai Kai's original master mixologist, Mariano Licudine was Don the Beachcomber trained. It is BK's belief, and I concur, that his secret ingredient is often Licor 43. Many of the Mai Kai recipes are slight changes on the originals, and often, that special taste is Licor 43. I never tried their version however. I will maybe see in June...

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-16 1:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-14 06:18, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
I was at Pablus's house yesterday, got a look at his Grog Log, and looked up the Shrunken Skull. It actually calls for one oz. of Puerto Rican rum, and one of Demerara rum. Not sure how much effect that would have on the taste, but it must be some. What is the difference between Demerara rum and other rums?

What Gator said. To add to it, Demerara rum often has a smokey, leathery, chewy flavor. This is what endears it to me.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 2:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-16 13:13, DemeraraDrinker wrote:
What Gator said. To add to it, Demerara rum often has a smokey, leathery, chewy flavor. This is what endears it to me.

Please, it's Rob, between friends. "Gator" is so formal-like. (Or completely dorkish and hick-like.)

Chewy?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 09:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-16 10:37, Swanky wrote:
The Mai Kai's original master mixologist, Mariano Licudine was Don the Beachcomber trained. It is BK's belief, and I concur, that his secret ingredient is often Licor 43. Many of the Mai Kai recipes are slight changes on the originals, and often, that special taste is Licor 43. I never tried their version however. I will maybe see in June...

Ahh, Licor 43; so named for the fact that it is composed of 43 different ingredients. I use it in a coffee drink I learned to make in Tenerife.

Thanks, Swanky, that's probably exactly what I was looking for!

The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 09:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

Thanks for the info! It's great to have access to such well-informed connoisseurs. And that's a description I can taste!

DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-18 07:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

Please, it's Rob, between friends. "Gator" is so formal-like. (Or completely dorkish and hick-like.)

Chewy?

Hmmm, should have said its chewy, not the flavor is chewy. Chewy as in there is a lot of body and richness there, a lot to grab ahold of.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation