[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Motel in Tucson
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Motel in Tucson
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-18 08:27 am   Permalink

Tucson has one other tiki relic to go with the Kon Tiki and the Magic Carpet Golf tiki, here it is... the Tiki Motel. It appears to be closed and I couldn't find any other signs of tiki around the place.

Humuhumu, I didn't know that you were coming to Tucson or we would've met up with you at the Kon Tiki. Mr. Cheeky Half and I live within stumbling distance and we do like to stumble frequently.

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-18 10:43 am   Permalink

If it's closed you should by all means try to get that sign...that's as classic as it gets.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-18 1:57 pm   Permalink

While you're at it, grab the "No Tell Motel" sign in Tuscon.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-18 1:58 pm   Permalink

While you're at it, grab the "No Tell Motel" sign in Tuscon.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-18 3:58 pm   Permalink

...now taking orders for vintage Tucson signs.

P.S. Who's got welding gear?

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-22 10:27 am   Permalink

Can anyone tell me where this sign is located in Tuscon?

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitucson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-01-22 10:43 am   Permalink

The exact address is 2649 N Oracle. It's just north of Grant if that means anything to you.

View Profile of tikitucson Send a personal message to tikitucson      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-23 8:54 pm   Permalink

Look what I found -- a postcard of the place!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2155457405&category=13997

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-31 01:56 am   Permalink

Not only is the Tiki Motel open, but it's neon sign is fully operational. I was thrilled to photograph it on a trip to Tucson in early October, 2003. The spotlight in front of the face part of the sign makes it look like the tiki is speaking into a microphone, but other than that, its great. They even have business cards with graphic art of the sign as a logo. If you like googie and googie-ish motel signs, be sure to drive South to see the Tucson, the Flamingo and the Sahara. To the North of the Tiki Motel, be sure to turn left (West) onto Miracle Mile to see the sign for the Tropicana Adult Theater; I'm sure it was once a motel. Be careful in this area at night though...way too many guys just hanging around looking like they wondered how many rocks of crack they could get for my camera. By the way, the No-Tell Motel had no business cards, but the nice (if befuddled) man at the desk gave me a match book...a fine souvenir or great practical joke item for slipping into a friend's pocket before his wife does the laundry.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-31 09:05 am   Permalink

There was also a Tiki Inn in Palo Alto, Ca.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-31 1:43 pm   Permalink

Here's another shot.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-31 1:53 pm   Permalink

I just did something crazy, and called the Tiki Motel, to see if they have a website or shirts for sale. This was the conversation:
(7 rings)Hello?
Unga-Is this the Tiki Motel?
Lady-Yes it is, what do you want?
Unga- Do you have a website?
Lady-What's that?
Unga- That's OK, never mind. Do you sell t-shirts?
Lady -Just in our lost and found. What did it look like?
Unga - Uh, sorry to bother you. Goodbye

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-10-31 3:28 pm   Permalink

The tiki motel in Tucson is Tiki in signage only. And a cool sign it is! I think someone posted photos around the beginning of 2003. The motel is of the early motel design in which each room is separated by a covered parking space for your car. The manager seemed interested that Tiki is having a resurgence and that his motel was mentioned on Tiki Central.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-03 02:49 am   Permalink

I don't think they would conceive of having t-shirts, Unga Bunga, though the iconic simplicity of the logo would make for a great one. I did get this business card, although Shutterfly seems to have cropped it.

Some night shots:

The North side of the sign is blocked by the building unless you are some distance away. It is not as well maintained:

Happy hunting, everyone!

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-09 7:11 pm   Permalink

Has anyone actually stayed in one of these mid-Century marvels?

Or would you?

I'd like to before they are all gone, although one the other hand, maybe a photo safari would suffice.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation