FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Limes. . . Is it just me?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Limes. . . Is it just me?
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-04 2:06 pm   Permalink

I just snapped off the handle of my old 'friendly' lime juicer! All for about 1/2 oz of fresh Persian Lime Juice . . . from 'Persian' Limes that came from Mexico (3 for $1.00). I live in Florida . . . we used to grow citrus right here and you could buy it from local roadside produce stands . . . I say 'used to' because now we have to import limes (and other citrus) from Mexico . . . I used to get better than 1.25 oz of lime from a Florida-grown 'Persian' lime . . . and now these Mexican Limes . . . same size . . . but only 1/2 oz of juice? And break my faithful old friend "Larry Limie" to boot! It's a conspiracy I tell you, a conspiracy!
Wait a minute! "Persian" Lime . . . Persia . . . Hmmmmm . . . what happened to 'Persia' . . what is it called today? Hmmmmmm I know that Siam is now Thailand . . . . so Persia is what? IRAN! Never-mind . . . that explains it!
Mind the gap!

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 5:20 pm   Permalink

Or, you could add your comments to the pre-existing lime juicer thread,
here

Limes are like 49 each at the moment for me, ya it sucks, but I'm not sour about it.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 5:49 pm   Permalink

Here in Cali limes are 7 for $1.49 at Trader Joes. They should be cheaper just cuz Cinco de Mayo is tomorrow.

Hangman, sorry, your closest one is in Atlanta.
http://traderjoes.com/Attachments/all_locations.pdf

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 6:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-04 17:20, Tikiwahine wrote:
Limes are like 49 each at the moment for me, ya it sucks, but I'm not sour about it.

Are you tart about it?

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 6:40 pm   Permalink

A big reason why your Mexican Persian limes have little juice is just as you alluded to; they're grown/harvested from a region very far from where you bought them.

The farther fruits and vegetables have to travel, the less tree-ripening they are allowed, in order to be "ripe" in store bins.

Try to see if you have any farmers' market close to home. You'll get your ounce and half back, I'm sure. Here's one that not too far, in Port St. Lucie:

http://www.ftpiercefarmersmarket.com/index.html

...edited for spelling error...

[ This Message was edited by: Haole'akamai 2007-05-04 18:41 ]

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 6:55 pm   Permalink

I'll let you in on a little chef's secret:
The smoother the skin, the more juice.

Works for limes and lemons.

Stay away from the dimply, pitted, rough skinned limes and you'll do fine.

Koka Nut's father in law has a prolific lime tree that we get about a hundred from each year.
We get free citrus from all kinds of friends about town.
I grow my own mint.
Now all I need is a sugar cane field and a rum distillery and I'll be all set.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 7:00 pm   Permalink

Smooth skin, yep, forgot to mention that; all citrus: lime, lemon, orange and grapefruit.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 9:27 pm   Permalink

Well based on personal experience, I have two lime trees. This is not the season for limes here in California, there are non to be found on my trees. All the available lime is expensive even in cheap markets. All the ones I have been buying from the markets around hardly have any juice and almost all are tough skinned. If you leave them around for a while they will actually get thinner in skin and turn juicier. Last winter I had so many limes I didn't know what to do with them so I froze the juice. I have been using them now, they are quiet good a little acid flavored but really good. And it is so easy, I just thaw and pour.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2007-05-05 08:17 am   Permalink

Ooooh, thanks for the smoth skin reference...never kenw that.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-05 09:37 am   Permalink

Tikiwahine : If you look back at the thread you mentioned . . . I'd already posted there . . . THAT is the "Larry Limey" I broke attempting to get every last drop out of the imported Mexican lime. The good news is: I went out to the very same Wal-Mart and replaced him with his twin: "Leopold Limey"!
I'm pretty well-versed in the overall quality and variations in limes . . . I guess my main purpose was a commentary on how sad it is that we have to import fruits like limes from other countries while the local grove lands (at least here in Florida) are succumbing to development. Four months ago I could buy the very same Mexican limes @ 10 for $1 and get in excess of 1 oz of fresh juice out of them. It's just sad, is all . . I'm not really 'sour' about it . . . I can always resort to Nellie and Joe's Key West Lime Juice - one of the better bottled brands I might add, so I'll manage. There's just that something special about the lime shell 'Island' with the mint sprig 'tree' growing out of it as a garnish for my Mai Tais that I'll miss briefly.

Oh . . . and I grow my own mint as well. Nothing like fresh from the garden!

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GH

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2007-05-05 09:42 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 4:02 pm   Permalink

I read the posting complaining about the Persian limes from Mexico. The problem as I see it isn't that the limes came from Mexico but that you were using the wrong type of lime. The best drinks are made from Mexican Limes. Got a tree right here in my back yard here in the desert in California. Another thing, don't juice the lime until it is yellow. Mexican limes, besides being superior to Persian limes in taste, provide little juice unless they have been allowed to ripen, and by that I mean turn yellow. Once you use Mexican limes (the little ones you see in the supermarket) you'll never go back to Persian.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 4:06 pm   Permalink

By the way, a fully ripened Mexican lime will give you a little over a 1/2 - 1 ounce of juice.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 8:50 pm   Permalink

What about the Bearrs lime?

The riper the lime is harvested, the better juice, hands down, regardless of type. Buy local - better for the eco-nomy, as well, but that another thread.

PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 9:20 pm   Permalink

The lime crop this season does appear to be disappointing. I have been having the same problem. It takes two limes to get the juice I normally get from one. In fact, I got about as much juice from one of those little key limes than I got out of a Mexican lime.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-07 02:34 am   Permalink

As to buying the wrong type of lime . . . that's all that is available. The last batch I purchased were in a mesh bag . . . not loose. As for local - there are NO local limes available. I've gone North and South, 30 miles in each direction . . . nothing. And when limes are plentiful in the local stupidmarkets . . . there's only one kind (Persian) in a loose bin. And usually they're imported from Mexico as well. The local Farmers Markets in my area are dwindling.

GENT

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation