FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Limes. . . Is it just me?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Limes. . . Is it just me?
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 08:14 am   Permalink

Ack! I'm feeling it - the loss of what brought Florida to the forefront of US minds - the citrus. Beautiful citrus groves being replaced by larger population density.

My mom "retired" to Florida (first to Key West, now she's up in St. Augustine) about 20 years ago. She kept telling me how FLA reminded her of California in the 50's. CA saw the change from Orange grove agriculture. And so goes Florida.

It makes you need better limes for bigger Mai Tais....

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 08:19 am   Permalink

Joe's Key West Lime Juice... If you can't find proper Mexican Key Limes - Persian Limes ruin the taste and were never used in the Ancient's recipes anyway - then go to the internet and have yourself shipped some Joe's Key West Lime Juice. Also, you can use this in your Key Lime Pies: 1/2 cup of Key lime juice, 1 can of condensed milk, and 4 egg yolks. Use the whites for your merinque.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-07 1:17 pm   Permalink

Haole'akamai : Thanks! Someone finally understands where I was going with this.

telescopes : Two day ago I wrote . . .
Quote:
I can always resort to Nellie and Joe's Key West Lime Juice - one of the better bottled brands I might add, so I'll manage.

I'm not sure what kind of limes the "Ancients" used for their Tiki Drinks . . . but this "Ancient" wants his local FloriDUH-grown limes! Dagnabbit!

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GH

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2007-05-07 13:19 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 1:43 pm   Permalink

Florida grows many varieties of limes. Persian limes are not what was used for drinks or pies for lots of reasons, non of which had to do with where they were grown. I understood you lament about location. However, location is a lesser concern in terms of quality. Who cares if a local lime can provide lots of juice if the juice is the wrong type of juice for the drink in question.

Having tended bar as well as tended several bartenders, the only lime we ever used was key lime. I simply feel this is important to point out given that many home drink makers might wonder why thier home mixes fail to taste right. Hence why I agree with you on the bottled lime... they make theirs using key lime juice.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 2:30 pm   Permalink

Mexican Limes are what you want, Key Limes are Mexican Limes, & also called West Indian Limes or Bartender's Limes, and have the flavor you're looking for. Persian/Bearss/Tahitian Limes are also all the same thing.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 11:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-07 08:19, telescopes wrote:
Also, you can use this in your Key Lime Pies: 1/2 cup of Key lime juice, 1 can of condensed milk, and 4 egg yolks. Use the whites for your merinque.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM........Pie!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 05:56 am   Permalink

Ahhh, you've once again tapped into my love affair with key limes. The little buggers are more labor intensive than Persians, but in my most humblest of opinions, they are superior in taste. But remember they have a much higher acidity than Persians and so you can use less juice if you prefer.

Honestly, I use both regularly. But in a completely unscientific test, I switched from Persian to key lime in my wife's drink and she came back and asked if I did something different with the lime because it tasted better than the first drink (which had Persian). So there ya go. The wife has spoken.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 12:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-08 05:56, GatorRob wrote:

Honestly, I use both regularly. But in a completely unscientific test, I switched from Persian to key lime in my wife's drink and she came back and asked if I did something different with the lime because it tasted better than the first drink (which had Persian). So there ya go. The wife has spoken.

GatorRob, your wife is so right. Using a persian lime is akin to substituting kool-aid in your Hurricane for Pat's authentic mix. You can't do it and then say it is a Hurricane. A mai tai with Persians isn't the same drink. Mexican limes are an essential component of Poly drinks. Frankly, if I don't have any in-house, I skip making the recipe that calls for lime juice until I have some available.

Yes, they're a pain... small, acidically biting the cuticles as you tend to them, not to mention the way they rot out the enamel of your teeth, but what they contribute is the difference between an authentic Gauguin and a Gauguin print you find on a tie sold at Macy's.

[ This Message was edited by: telescopes 2007-05-08 12:53 ]

GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-08 1:26 pm   Permalink

For the 30+ years I've lived here along the "Treasure Coast" of Florida the ONLY limes I've ever seen in either of the three major supermarkets (Winn-Dixie, Publix and Albertsons) whether they be loose in a bin or in a mesh bag were Persian limes. Usually they're just labeled "Limes" . . . but when you read the origin tag at the lower edge of the display, it will say 'Persian' and give the origin . . . usually Mexico or Texas and sometimes, even Florida.
We do however get "Key Limes" every once in a while and they're always pre-packaged in mesh bags and are about the size of a large walnut. I've NEVER seen these have any other origin other than Florida. Maybe they are grown elsewhere and that's fine with me, but I've just never seen that here. When it comes to using Key Lime juice, I'd rather just use Nellie and Joe's and not have to mess around with those bitty limes.
The last batch of Persian limes I got were of normal size, smooth-skinned and some still showed some yellow . . . but they just didn't have much juice!
I guess it just boils down to when you deal with what Mother Nature offers . . . you takes 'yer chances!

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 9:11 pm   Permalink

I thought I'd better check what I was raving about regarding Key Limes. I just made two Mai Tai's; one with Key Limes and one with Persian. Yup, the key limes won. The only problem was is that the rums on hand were Bacardi... Still, the independant variable remained the same for both drinks. Now I gotta go brush my teeth in order to save the remaining enamel. See ya!

sandiegodan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-08 9:17 pm   Permalink

Here's a visual on the limes...

View Profile of sandiegodan Send a personal message to sandiegodan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-09 02:38 am   Permalink

The visual above says it all. Those are the exact two limes I'm talking about. The Persian limes are the limes we have all the time, and the Key Limes only occasionally.
So, for most all of the time if one wants to use a 'fresh' lime here in my section of FloriDUH, the Persian is all that's available.

GENT

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 06:59 am   Permalink

GentleHangman, odd that you can't get key limes more often. Here in Orlando, my local Publix has them nearly year round.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-09 11:12 am   Permalink

Glad I found this thread.
I've got both a Key lime and Persian lime tree in the back yard.
I've been using the Persian lime, easier to get to it's right outside the bar room door and it doesn't bite.
The dang Key lime tree has some pretty gnarly thorns and is up on a ridge.
I'll have to switch over and use the Key limes.
As usual anything worth while is usually more work.
Thanks for the lime lesson.

One note:
Previous owner advised us to always pick a few each week and never pick the trees clean and they would bear fruit all year.
Been doing this for quite a few years and the trees constantly have fruit here in SoCal.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 11:36 am   Permalink

That's great advice. I've kind of noticed that myself in terms of slowly picking the fruit off my key lime tree. It seems if I only pick the yellow ones, I have fruit just about all year. Of course, I prefer to wait till they fall in order to skip the thorns, but that isn't always the case. A nice ripe yellow key lime coughs up quite a bit of juice. As an aside, I still have scars on my left arm from picking fruit six months ago.

Going into the wild for a little pleasure is a dangerous thing indeed.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation