FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Malibu Castle Golf, Redondo Beach, CA (other)
Malibu Castle Golf, Redondo Beach, CA (other)
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 11:12 pm   Permalink

Name:Malibu Castle Golf
Type:other
Street:2410 Marine Ave ,
City:Redondo Beach
State:CA
Zip:90278
Phone:

Description:
I was driving southbound on the 405 freeway between Rosecrans exit and Inglewood ave. exits when I saw an A-Frame building sitting up on a hill, that I have never seen before from the freeway. I travel that freeway heavily, and saw this for the first time. The miniature golf park was bought out by Mulligan's family entertainment centers, but they have done nothing with the property since. So I got off the freeway and took a trip into a fenced off dirt parking lot.There was however a knocked down gate laying over the road, so I carefully drove over it and into the once happening miniature golf course. Vandals have hit it pretty hard, and it looks like it may have served for some illegal parties due to all the grafitti and empty/broken beer bottles. Its been defunct now for about 4 years and this place will not be here much longer.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 11:20 pm   Permalink

Here are a few pics I took...

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-04 11:33 pm   Permalink

Wow, great shots...sad to see such a place on it's last legs.

Thanks for posting

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mouse Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-05 10:04 am   Permalink

Man that sucks! I've played on that course. It was pretty cool. The castle that used to be in the middle of the whole thing was full of video games,pinball, skeeball,yno,all that stuff. It also had one of the early cement water slides. Later replaced by a fiberglass[?] one. Wonder WTF they are gonna do widit??........Remy

View Profile of Mouse Art Send a personal message to Mouse Art  Goto the website of Mouse Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 8:20 pm   Permalink

I wanna live in that hut,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wideimaging

Posted: 2011-07-17 12:35 am   Permalink

Here it is on July 9, 2011, The windmill caught my attention, after spotting the sign on Marine Ave.

Detail:

Creative housing in Los Angles: With the Manhattan Beach Green line station and Northrop Grumman in the background an abandonded miniature golf course putting trap structure serves as a domicile

View Profile of wideimaging Send a personal message to wideimaging  Goto the website of wideimaging     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-18 06:35 am   Permalink

Man, talk about haunting images! So sad to see the place sitting there getting vandalized like that.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wideimaging

Posted: 2011-09-02 8:04 pm   Permalink

more images in the works. Last I went I met the current resident of the Tiki hut; there are also a couple of squatters in tents near skull rock:

View Profile of wideimaging Send a personal message to wideimaging  Goto the website of wideimaging     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-03 5:06 pm   Permalink

I for one don't need to see any more of this place in its current state. Flattening it to the ground would do it a favor, or is this Redondo Beach's idea of affordable housing? Does anyone have any photos of Malibu Castle Golf when it was open?

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-03 6:43 pm   Permalink

I couldn't find any pics of the site in it's heyday, but I did find a blog with some info about what it used to be like.

http://www.8bitrocket.com/2008/08/08/atari-nerd-chronicles-r-i-p-my-boyhood-classic-arcade-castle-park-redondo-beach-ca/

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation