FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Lee's Latest: my first Chainsaw-carved Tiki
Tiki Lee's Latest: my first Chainsaw-carved Tiki
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-05 11:44 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

I thought I'd give chain-saw tiki carving a try, so I found the rattiest, broken down piece of Palm I could find and had at it. It must have been out in the Vegas sun for years, 'cuz it was light as a feather. Cutting into it was like a hot knife thru butter, and it basically became an exercise in controlling the distintegration of the log. Powder and fibers shot up everywhere, and big hunks of rotted wood just kept falling away. Here's what I ended up with after taking the torch to it...

It's just shy of 5' tall and weighs about 30 pounds. Not great, but not too bad considering I had to do what the log "told" me, and that it was the first completely chain-sawed carving I've ever done. I'll try a newer log next time!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee's 2007-05-06 00:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee's 2007-05-07 00:39 ]

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-05 11:47 pm   Permalink

I like it, has a vintage feel to it.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 12:36 am   Permalink

It's cool! Looks like you dug it up from some old apartment building in the San Fernando Valley! instant Classic!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MAILMAN76
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-09 1:10 pm   Permalink

nice sawing,and I see that you have nice examples to inspire you.
keep posting

greetz Limo

View Profile of MAILMAN76 Send a personal message to MAILMAN76  Goto the website of MAILMAN76     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 1:39 pm   Permalink

Keep plucking away TikiLee, did you do that tiki in the right rear as
well?
I still get a chuckle when I think about you tossing your carving in the
fire at Coontiki. This does have a real "vintage" look to it.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ripper
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-09 1:54 pm   Permalink

Thats pretty cool !

View Profile of Ripper Send a personal message to Ripper  Email Ripper     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 8:58 pm   Permalink

Hey,
Thanks Guys! It was an intersting experiment. Conga, I didn't carve that one, but I did all the finishing: killing the mold and scraping off the dead stuff, burning it, applying 2 colors of stain/varnish, and white washing the teeth ever so lightly. Someday, Conga. Someday...

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
oregonetiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-05-16 6:48 pm   Permalink

Now my newest collectors item looks more to me like a tiki! what mattered to me was a good frown,carved nose and an all wood carving.

View Profile of oregonetiki Send a personal message to oregonetiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 08:19 am   Permalink

Quote:
It's cool! Looks like you dug it up from some old apartment building in the San Fernando Valley! instant Classic!

I agree! Old school rules!!!!

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-18 7:31 pm   Permalink

Hi Lee, I found your post when I looked up Oregonetiki. She is my niece and just joined tiki central. What a coincidence that we were just in Las Vegas with you and of all the threads she chose yours!

I think your carving looks really vintage, good job, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-19 7:28 pm   Permalink

my girlfriend and I both agree. Good start! Keep at it!

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-20 7:09 pm   Permalink

TL, This guy is excellent looking from that piece of decayed palm wood. That stuff is Hard to carve because like you say it's just controlling the chainsaw but without any feedback.
Find a Better log and do another one.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation