[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Trader Vic's Navy Grog
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Navy Grog
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-06 8:03 pm   Permalink

Eureka! I believe that I have very closely reproduced Trader Vic's Navy Grog without using the Trader Vic's Navy Grog Mix, which much like the commercially available Mai Tai mix is nothing like the restaurant Mai Tai. I had to make my own syrup to do it, but this works very well and tastes a whole lot like a Navy Grog at Trader Vic's.

So this recipe goes on my own personal bar menu along with the Cannibal, Suffering Bastard and the Purple Jade.

A hint: The Ancient Mariner in the Grog Log is pretty close but this recipe uses Navy rums instead and the syrup (but a larger amount) in place of the Pimento Liqueur.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 09:38 am   Permalink

So what's the deal? Cough 'em up!

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-07 1:24 pm   Permalink

Yeah . . . c'mon . . . spill the beans - I mean Grog!

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 5:14 pm   Permalink

I had to make a syrup. I made the syrup myself, not really expecting much of a result but it actually came out better then I expected on the first try. I think I got the syrup a little weak, so the next time I try I will use more sugar and boil the spices a little longer.

The syrup is the secret. It is what makes this work. I won't go into the history of this, but suffice it to say I have been trying to reproduce the TV Navy Grog for some time. It was getting my hands on some pimento liqueuer and making an Ancient Mariner that gave me the idea.

Making the syrup.

the syrup is not perfected yet, but the first try came out pretty good so here is what I did:

I went to the Mexican section of the supermarket where there are pre-packaged spices. I got one package of cinnamon sticks and two of dried allspice berries. If your local supermarket doesn't have a Mexican section, improvise. There are like 5 or 6 cinnamon sticks in a package, and I don't know hoe many allspice berries in a package but I used two of them. Be sure you get the ALLSPICE Pimento and not the black peppercorn pimento 'cause they call them both pimentos.

Using my ice crusher hammer, I busted up the cinnamon up so the the sticks cracked and split but did not pulverize. I did the same to crack but not pulverize the allspice. I put the spices in a pot with a single vanilla bean, sliced lengthwise with a knife but not cut in half. I filled the pot with water and put it on the stove to boil. When it started boiling, I reduced the heat to low and let it simmer like that for about 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally. I figured it was done when the water durned to a tea color and tasted spicy.

I turned off the heat and filtered the "tea" to get just the liquid and discarded the solids. Then I put the liquid into a clean pot and brought it back to a boil. When it strted boiling I again reduced the heat to the lowest setting and let it settle down so that it was not visibly bubbling. Then I added the sugar. I had about 6 cups of liquid and I ended up adding about 4 cups of sugar a half cup at a time and stirring until the sugar completely dissolved. I think I should have used an equal amount of sugar, that is, 6 cups rather than 4 but it seemed sweet enough to me. What didn't work after was the viscosity. It was still a little too fluid once it had cooled.

When all the sugar had dissolved and the liquid had cooled a bit, I bottled the syrup and let it cool overnight. The next day I tried mixing drinks. Here is the recipe that seemed to work best.

- 1 1/4 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime (took 2 limes - see the thread on limes)
- 1/2 oz Grapefruit juice
- 1 1/4 oz syrup
- 2 oz Pusser's Navy Rum (blue label)
- 1 oz Cruzan Black Strap Rum

Put all the ingredients except the black strap into a shaker with crushed ice. Shake and pour into a double old fashioned glass. Top with the black strap rum. Add lime shell and mint sprig. I don't have the rock candy stick. The syrup is sweet enough that it probably is not needed.

This is a work in progress, but so far this recipe works pretty well and tastes pretty darn close to a Trader Vic's Navy Grog. I am going to call it Pirate Grog, and the recipe may change as I play with the combinations some more and maybe make my second batch of syrup.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-10 10:45 am   Permalink

Awesome, thanks for posting the recipe! I might try making some--there's lots of recipes in the old Trader Vic's books that call for Navy Grog Mix that might be out of this world with your homemade stuff. Regarding the viscosity, how about using some honey? Maybe that would do the trick (plus it's a nod to the original Navy Grog recipe.)

By the way, there is a recipe for Pimento Liqueur on the website Cocktail Chronicles. Go to
http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/index.php?s=pimento+liqueur and scroll way down to the bottom of the page. I'm making some right now--tonight I will be able to add the sugar syrup and in another month or so I'll be able to try it. I have some of he bottled stuff on hand so I will be able to do a side by side comparison. Patience...

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-10 12:33 pm   Permalink

At the Atlanta Trader Vic's they will sell you the concentrate the use. The stuff marked not for resale. If you can get that, it's the bomb. 2 ounces of dark run, a splash of sugar syrup and a splash of grapefruit juice.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 6:27 pm   Permalink

They won't sell just anyone the mix at Vics.
You gotta be a 23 skidoo hep cat like Swanky.
Or tip good like me.

THEN the elixir is proffered.
(I got some last night as a matter of fact.)

Huzzah for Joel!!

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 05:53 am   Permalink

When's the second batch due?

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 6:50 pm   Permalink

After the first batch is gone, which is probably going to be a while.

Next Batch: Less Cinnamon, more sugar.

dshoemaker

Posted: 2008-02-02 9:33 pm   Permalink

OK, I've tried a few of the Navy Grog recipes here, and I'm even making some homemade Pimento Dram. BUT, in the meantime, I have a possible substitute ingredient that seems to have a lot of the allspice/cinnamon/herbal character we're looking for. It's called Herrljunga Glogg, and it's available (at least some of the time) through IKEA, of all places. (It might just be in the stores, not online.) Just a splash of this stuff in the shaker brings a certain spiciness to the Navy Grog that is otherwise missing. Try it and see what you think!

David

View Profile of dshoemaker Send a personal message to dshoemaker      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-03 11:58 am   Permalink

I`m not surprised you find Herrljunga Glogg in Ikea as both the Glogg and the Ikea is Swedish. The Glogg is something that is drunk here over Christmas and yes it contains a lot of spices.(cardamom. ginger and allspice)It comes in many different flavors and each year there is a new flavor out only for that year. I never thought about that it could be used in tiki drinks....I can find this Glogg just a few steps away from home..
But only during Christmas so next Christmas i`ll have to start experimenting..

Which one of the Herrljunga Glogg did you get? if its the original Glogg the recipe is the same since 1930.

[ This Message was edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-02-03 12:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-02-03 12:27 ]

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 07:04 am   Permalink

What is the overall opinion of the Grog Log recipe for Navy Grog? Or how about TV's normal Navy Grog syrup?

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-04 11:04 am   Permalink

The Navy Grog recipe in the Grog Log is for Don the Beachcomber's Navy Grog. The one we are discussing here is Trader Vic's. The recipes were somewhat different. Don used ground spices in his, which I think included nutmeg (although the Grog Log recipe does not list that but I remember them being in the drink). Vic used the Pimento liqueur, or a variation on it when it became unavailable. Vic also did not use the honey as a sweetener.

Kahuna Kent
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-04 11:06 pm   Permalink

Got a copy of TV's "Pacific Island Cookbook" for Christmas. There's a recipe for "Trader Vic's Grog" But it has no Pimento Liqueur, just Lemon juice, Pineapple juice, Passionfruit Nectar, rum & bitters. Haven't made this one, yet - but I'm assuming this is NOT the "Trader Vic's Navy Grog" that's being didcussed here? I enjoy the Grog Log Don Beach recipe, but I like to add 1/2 oz homemade pimento liqueur and a dash of bitters. Yummy!

View Profile of Kahuna Kent Send a personal message to Kahuna Kent      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-02-05 10:37 am   Permalink

"Trader Vic's Grog" and Trader Vic's Navy Grog are different drinks. Both are on the current Trader Vic's cocktail menus. I have had the Trader Vic's Grog before and to the best of my recollection I enjoyed it. But the TV Navy Grog is one of my favorites and I prefer it to the Don the Beachcomber version.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation