FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Inspired by these forums to build my first outdoor bar
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Inspired by these forums to build my first outdoor bar
mswep

Posted: 2007-05-07 11:35 am   Permalink

After seeing so many wonderful projects through out this site, I told myself I could make something. My back yard has an in-ground pool then a separated garage with an overhang. This area was not being used and this is where I decided to put my new bar.

The pics I have added below go from initial construction thru staining to grouting the tile. I still have to polish off the tile and seal it and add some rope to be complete. But I wanted to thank you guys for all the wonder posts on this site.

First Cuts

Frame completed

Panels added

Stain and protective coating started

Back side

Thatch Added and Bar top completed

Steps left are to buff off the tile and then apply protective coating...

View Profile of mswep Send a personal message to mswep  Email mswep     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-07 11:50 am   Permalink

Cool.
Love the tile work.

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 1:34 pm   Permalink

great gecko! Isn't fun to be inspired? TC just oozes creativity, right through the cable....

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 3:45 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's really sweet. Love the tile job! And based upon the carpentry I would say that might be the only thing standing after a nuclear attack.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teamtom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-07 4:39 pm   Permalink

Nice work, post a picture when you buff the tile, that's a nice mosaic.

View Profile of teamtom Send a personal message to teamtom      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mswep

Posted: 2007-05-07 4:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:
And based upon the carpentry I would say that might be the only thing standing after a nuclear attack

I should also mention the only wood I have ever cut was firewood. That is what has been so great about this project. It has been a learning experience for sure.

When my wife and I began to put the grout on we thought we had messed it up. Luckily we were able to brush off the extra 5 pounds .

I just finished round one of buffing and I will do it again tomorrow night and grab some new images to post.

Oh...what would you guys seal this with? I have some of that pour on '50 coats poly' stuff... but I really did not want to use it for fear of messing up. Is there something else I can just spray on for several coats?

Thanks for all the kind words.

[ This Message was edited by: mswep 2007-05-07 17:01 ]

View Profile of mswep Send a personal message to mswep  Email mswep     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 5:00 pm   Permalink

That's one helluva first try! Excellent!

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 7:44 pm   Permalink

Gorgeous work - it's a credit to you!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 8:41 pm   Permalink

Very nice tile work. I am very fond of mosaics myself. I've done an ocean scene and a large tiki fireplace scene in stained glass mosaics. Good work, it looks like you are addicted now. Keep going...

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 03:11 am   Permalink

Very nice bar! Reminds me of somewhere Iv'e been....

Curious now what goes overhead...

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-08 05:19 am   Permalink

Looking good....got tiki?

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bincho
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-08 08:00 am   Permalink

I like the solid, overbuilt construction!

You may want to add some metal reinforcing clips and lag bolts underneath to keep the weather & use from loosening it up as the wood dries out.

View Profile of Bincho Send a personal message to Bincho      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 4:08 pm   Permalink

Mrs Hoptiki here,

Nice job, and love your tile work.

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 6:00 pm   Permalink

Nice work! Way to be inspired, and then inspire back.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mcsommerreid

Posted: 2007-05-09 11:40 am   Permalink

Thats really cool, re-inspired me to finish the one I was making. Koi mosaic in glass, with a black grout for contrast.

I'm going to put a replaceable sheet of acrylic over it to protect it and provide a really flat area for setting things on. Depending on how flat you were able to get your grout lines and tiles, you might go that rout for the top. Wouldn't really need to coat it in anything that way, either.

View Profile of mcsommerreid Send a personal message to mcsommerreid  Email mcsommerreid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation