Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food dressing up your tiki drink
dressing up your tiki drink
sandiegodan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-07 8:44 pm   Permalink

Its not too hard to find a pineapple wedge, red cherry, mini umbrella, or some mint leaf...but where would someone find a tropical gardenia or other flower to put on top of a tiki drink?

Where do people here get their tropical flowers?

Some tiki drinks just aren't complete without that perfect flower floating on top...

View Profile of sandiegodan Send a personal message to sandiegodan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 9:00 pm   Permalink

Good question. Also, where does one get the plastic base to float the flower on?

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-08 09:07 am   Permalink

Chip said something about that once. Here it is.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-08 1:29 pm   Permalink

I didn't see anything in Chip's post regarding the plastic floater thingie.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-09 9:49 pm   Permalink

Is there a preferred way to anchor the flower into a drink. Next time I throw a tiki party at home, and it looks like it will be sooner rather than later, I think I'd like to have a few drinks with gardenas. Sandiegodan,, I'll be sure to have you and the wahine over to this event. As for as the cusine, I'm thinking of doing a poly/italian fusion thing.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mike the Headhunter
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-10 11:23 pm   Permalink

My money would be on a shaved ice cone or the large amount of ice used in communal drinks would keep the flower in place. Otherwise before you mix it use a small dab of super glue on the stem and that might be all ya need to hold the flower in place, but i would think the ice or cone would be the prefered method.

View Profile of Mike the Headhunter Send a personal message to Mike the Headhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-18 07:46 am   Permalink

I agree--as long as you have ice (especially crushed ice), I would think the stem would hold it up. If you're in the right climate, you should try growing the flowers yourself. I have two mint plants, so I'm making Noa Noas like they're going out of style from the Grog Log. I put a sprig in for a garnish, and it stands up.

You can also try sugarcane sticks for garnishes/swizzle sticks. I got some from some company in Hawaii:

http://www.maui-info.com/SugarCaneStix_peeled.html

There are a lot of other sources on the web.

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
californialife
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-08 5:39 pm   Permalink

Anyone know of any books specifically dedicated to garnishing drinks? I have a number of drink recipe books, but would love to have one largely on this topic.

View Profile of californialife Send a personal message to californialife  Goto the website of californialife     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation