FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events To Tiki Oasis or Not to Tiki Oasis?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
To Tiki Oasis or Not to Tiki Oasis?
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 25, 2006
Posts: 639
From: NSW Central Coast, Australia
Posted: 2007-05-08 7:24 pm   Permalink

Well i'm feeling a little unsure about Tiki Oasis this year, It seems as though most of the tiki stuff is gone from the venue and may not be worth my $3000 in airfares plus accom, (it's not just a simple little weekender exercise when you gotta come from Australia). I kinda wish i had come earlier in the year and caught some of the other events and shows etc. It now seems that tiki oasis is be held at "just a motel"... and though i'm sure it will be fun, I can't help but feel that the main reason for my trip is now a lesser priority on my itinerary.. a bit sad really..

 
View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Nov 12, 2002
Posts: 7463
From: Huntikington Beach
Posted: 2007-05-08 8:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-08 19:24, Tiki Trav wrote:
Well i'm feeling a little unsure about Tiki Oasis this year, It seems as though most of the tiki stuff is gone from the venue and may not be worth my $3000 in airfares plus accom, (it's not just a simple little weekender exercise when you gotta come from Australia). I kinda wish i had come earlier in the year and caught some of the other events and shows etc. It now seems that tiki oasis is be held at "just a motel"... and though i'm sure it will be fun, I can't help but feel that the main reason for my trip is now a lesser priority on my itinerary.. a bit sad really..



Butterflies!?

Oasis is all about the people!!!!

Chill.

It will be ARRRRRRRRRRRsome!!!

( don't let the Bitch-ing get to you)


_________________


Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben


 
View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jan 05, 2003
Posts: 1082
From: Land of Cheese & Beer
Posted: 2007-05-09 05:13 am   Permalink

Ben's right - Oasis is ALL ABOUT THE OHANA!!!!!!!

& since not many of us probably get Down Under too often, come on over to Tiki Oasis - it's a lot of fun with a lot of great Ohana


 
View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 06, 2004
Posts: 924
From: North O.C.
Posted: 2007-05-09 10:22 am   Permalink

Plus Disneyland is close....

 
View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 21, 2004
Posts: 820
From: Exotic Isle of Alameda
Posted: 2007-05-09 10:54 am   Permalink

I highly recommend a trip to Disneyland. It's not just for kids. It's very early 19th century nostalgic Americana...mixed in with a little 1950's.

Back to Oasis. It IS about the Ohana! And it sounds like many things are still intact regarding the hotel.

If you're going to make it over, there is SO much to see in that area beyond Oasis. Tiki and non-tiki. One could probably spend a month in Southern CA and still not see all there is to see.

Might I recommend, and just a suggestion, since you're coming all the way over, taking a $49 Southwest Airline hop up to Northern California for a few days and take in the tiki sites up here as well? 3 Trader Vics, 4 other great Tiki Bars, Trader Vics resting place, etc, many tiki artists and icons (Otto himself) -- who often show up on Weds TC night at FI

If you want to pursue adding onto your trip beyond Oasis, and would like suggestions, just let us know.


 
View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 22, 2002
Posts: 3623
From: San Francisco
Posted: 2007-05-09 11:17 am   Permalink

Even in its current state, the former-Hanalei has more tiki than the Caliente Tropics (it is spread out a bit, though, it's a much bigger hotel). The Caliente Tropics does have better architecture, and the Reef Bar/Hawaiian Bill's is all tricked out now, but that wasn't the case for most of the Oasises (Oases?).

We didn't think we were going to be able to make it to Oasis, but we've recently been thinking that we just don't want to miss it. After all, if we decide to go, we know we won't regret it, but if we don't go, we might.

Hope we'll see you there, Tiki Trav!

_________________

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki


 View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Feb 21, 2006
Posts: 392
From: Denver, CO
Posted: 2007-05-09 11:30 am   Permalink

For my part, I couldn't help but think about how cool it would have been if the events were held in the courtyard / pool area and how nice it would have been if I wasn't fighting off a chill by the pool. All of that has changed! It should be awesome to have the pool area and everything integrated into the TO7 scene. I truly believe that despite the Hanalei's choice to decimate their dining area, this is still a very promising venue! Looking forward to seeing everyone there!!!

T.F.


 
View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 03, 2002
Posts: 5058
From: Hapa Haole Hideaway, TN
Posted: 2007-05-09 12:24 pm   Permalink

This sort of hits on some of my own thoughts lately.

There are a variety of events out there. And there seems to be a few major points to each:

A) A classic or neo-classic tiki bar experience
B) Entertainment along a certain line
C) The ohana

You sort of start out with A and wanting to get folks there to share in that thing we so dearly love. And you want C there. And you start figuring out what B you can get so the most C shows up. But then, by the time you get it all going, you have somewhat clobbered A by having it chocked full of people. In order to have really good B you have to appeal to a lot more than just C.

My thought lately is that I would really like to have an event with just A and C. Now, this happens all over the country on various night regularly and inregularly as locals congregate or out of towners drop in. So, how do you make an event that is just A and C work on a big scale?

That's the dilemma. I want to figure out ways to have an event at a tiki bar for the fans. Maybe there will always be that as you have a big event and the ohana get together regardless. More tiki bars for all of us to visit regularly where ever we are.
_________________

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!


 View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 16, 2006
Posts: 1837
From: An island in the bay
Posted: 2007-05-09 12:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-09 12:24, Swanky wrote:
There are a variety of events out there. And there seems to be a few major points to each:

A) A classic or neo-classic tiki bar experience
B) Entertainment along a certain line
C) The ohana

You sort of start out with A and wanting to get folks there to share in that thing we so dearly love. And you want C there. And you start figuring out what B you can get so the most C shows up. But then, by the time you get it all going, you have somewhat clobbered A by having it chocked full of people. In order to have really good B you have to appeal to a lot more than just C.



The guys at Forbidden Island recently produced
an event that very successfully incorporated A, B, and C! It's not impossible. You just need the right place, the right drinks, and the right people putting it together.

 View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Sep 25, 2003
Posts: 850
From: Cerritos, Ca.
Posted: 2007-05-09 1:12 pm   Permalink

Geez, for $3000.00, i would personally consider going to Cook Island, Hawaii, Bali instead.




TBird.


 
View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 03, 2002
Posts: 5058
From: Hapa Haole Hideaway, TN
Posted: 2007-05-09 1:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-09 12:43, JenTiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-05-09 12:24, Swanky wrote:
There are a variety of events out there. And there seems to be a few major points to each:

A) A classic or neo-classic tiki bar experience
B) Entertainment along a certain line
C) The ohana

You sort of start out with A and wanting to get folks there to share in that thing we so dearly love. And you want C there. And you start figuring out what B you can get so the most C shows up. But then, by the time you get it all going, you have somewhat clobbered A by having it chocked full of people. In order to have really good B you have to appeal to a lot more than just C.



The guys at Forbidden Island recently produced an event that very successfully incorporated A, B, and C! It's not impossible. You just need the right place, the right drinks, and the right people putting it together.



Doing A, B and C I have done a few times. But, when 700+ people show up for your party and you realize you don't have any idea who half of them are, and you have to have a night of entertainment in a hotel ballroom to get that turnout, when all you really want to do is enjoy the Mai Kai with all the ohana and revel in it, well, there ought to be a way to do that. Without being wealth and just paying out of pocket to have Don Tiki perform on the Mai Kai stage for you and 250 of your friends...
_________________

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!


 View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 13, 2006
Posts: 1290
From: Dog Patch - San Diego
Posted: 2007-05-09 1:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-09 13:12, Tiki Bird wrote:
Geez, for $3000.00, i would personally consider going to Cook Island, Hawaii, Bali instead.

TBird.




Roger that!

But if you are still leaning on coming to San Diego for Oasis, there are other things to see and do in Southern California to make your trip worthwhile. Others here have mentioned Disneyland -- but you can also see Bali Hai, Mr. Mai Tai, Humphrey's and other lesser known places in San Diego (and there's the Australian Pub in Pacific Beach in case you feel homesick). And if you venture north, besides Disneyland there are places in the L.A. area to visit such as Tiki Ti, Tonga Hut, Purple Orchid, Oceanic Arts, Puka Bar, etc.


 
View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Posts: 6911
From: Tujunga
Posted: 2007-05-09 1:48 pm   Permalink

GROG was on fence about going to Oasis, but GROG leaning more towards going.

 
View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Aug 22, 2002
Posts: 3623
From: San Francisco
Posted: 2007-05-09 1:51 pm   Permalink

I've also decided that it's getting a little silly that I still haven't ever been to the San Diego Zoo or Sea World, so we'll try to roll that into our trip.

Trav, there's just a TON of stuff to see in Southern California, you won't be wanting for tiki stimulation.

_________________

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki


 View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jul 07, 2005
Posts: 2272
From: The Polynesian Port of NOLA
Posted: 2007-05-09 1:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-09 13:48, GROG wrote:
GROG was on fence about going to Oasis, but GROG leaning more towards going.




GROG, darling, I'll make it worth your while...


 
View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation