FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Vintage Jade Tiles
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Vintage Jade Tiles
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-18 06:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-10 18:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
...which brings up the question again: How come these tiles were such a staple of Tiki lounge decor !?
Were they introduced by Don The Beachcomber when he polynesian-ized Chinese cuisine, as a left over of that, or were they part of Trader Vic's "Trader" style, representing "exotic" import items, like the sake bundles and crates he used. Actually, ARE they Chinese? Where do they come from in Asian culture in the first place?

I want the answers by 10:00 pm tonite.

I was looking up an unrelated topic and found this link that Limbo Lizard posted a few months back.
Chinese Ming Dynasty Openwork Tiles ca 15th Century AD with authenticity guaranteed for only $700 each.

Assuming that's true, now you have an answer to your question Sven
Sorry about the 10:00 deadline, I'm only 4 years late

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-19 01:39 am   Permalink

Great info MDM...and only $700 for the authenticity...gorgeous tile!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-19 8:01 pm   Permalink

Apparently, you gots your "vintage tiles" (mere decades old),... and then you gots your truly vintage tiles (centuries!).

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-19 9:19 pm   Permalink

I think that one would definitely be considered pre-tiki

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-08 11:14 am   Permalink

Stopping by Smuggler's Cove last night got me thinking about these tiles again... I've accumulated quite a few, which will be integrated into my tiki room eventually.

Here are the ones in my collection:

my "antique" tiles I found in various places...

tiles from Chinatown SF:

from Trader Vic's St. Louis:

jade tile lamp shade, also from TV St. Louis (Smuggler's Cove has one of these too):

Thanks for lookin'-
-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-08 9:09 pm   Permalink

Great collection Trad'r Bill. I have looked around Chinatown in SF several times for those on visits and have yet to find a store that has them. I even keep a photo on my phone to show the shop keepers what I am trying to find. I should be heading up that way this summer, so any info on location would be appreciated.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-08 9:19 pm   Permalink

I really like the lamp and have never seen the tiles in the wild.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thomamas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-08 9:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-08 21:09, Dustycajun wrote:
Great collection Trad'r Bill. I have looked around Chinatown in SF several times for those on visits and have yet to find a store that has them. I even keep a photo on my phone to show the shop keepers what I am trying to find. I should be heading up that way this summer, so any info on location would be appreciated.

DC

Have you tried the Tai Yick Trading Company at 1400 Powell?

I bought some tiles from them on eBay a few years back. Their eBay seller id is bestchinaware on eBay, and they have websites at
www.taiyick.net and www.bestchinaware.net.

View Profile of thomamas Send a personal message to thomamas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-09 04:19 am   Permalink

Wat Arun in Bangkok is decorated with a large amount of jade tiles...

and tons of broken Chinese porcelain..

..all the ceramic that decorates the temple was brought from China as ballast in trading ships. So Jade tiles really started off as cheap goods to fill space when shipping more expensive products, attractive packing peanuts if you will.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-09 09:11 am   Permalink

Cool pictures atomictikitony - I had never heard that they were used as ballast material.

DC, Thomamas and I bought ours at the same place... Tai Yick on Powell. I also got tipped off to this place through eBay... I think they were around $25/ea. Probably want to call to see if they have them in stock...

I figured I might as well share some pictures of the lamp shade I've collected:

Trader Vic's Scottsdale (first incarnation):

TV Tokyo:

TV Dallas (on the wall on the right):

Smuggler's Cove:

I also saw a bunch of these at TV LA Live, but can't find a picture right now...

Enjoy-
-Trad'r Bill

[ This Message was edited by: Trad'r Bill 2012-05-09 09:13 ]

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-11 8:42 pm   Permalink

Would be cool for some potters to make a modern day version of these. Small ones for coasters, larger ones for wall or room divider decor. Maybe someone is already doing that and I have missed it, if so, a link would be handy. I love these tiles, they are certainly beautiful in shape, style and colors.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-11 9:03 pm   Permalink

I made a prototype coaster Vamp but never got around to making a mold and making up a bunch

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-11 9:11 pm   Permalink

Ah yes...I remember your fabulous coaster...you should go with that...I would certainly love a set.

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-13 6:41 pm   Permalink

I second that motion. I think the coasters are a great idea and would love to get a set.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-13 7:01 pm   Permalink

There ya go Mike...your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to make Tile Coasters.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation