FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts My tiki bar (please critique)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
My tiki bar (please critique)
Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-11 06:40 am   Permalink

I thought after a year of work (as time and money permitted), I would show my bar. I am open to critiques and recommendations. I am going to get some more lighting, especailly the required puffer fish lamp. But now I need suggestions of what to improve. Let me know (more pics to follow)

Thanks

Lingam

[ This Message was edited by: Lingam 2007-05-11 06:45 ]

View Profile of Lingam Send a personal message to Lingam  Email Lingam Goto the website of Lingam     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-11 06:41 am   Permalink

Another shot

[ This Message was edited by: Lingam 2007-05-11 06:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Lingam 2007-05-11 06:48 ]

View Profile of Lingam Send a personal message to Lingam  Email Lingam Goto the website of Lingam     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-11 06:42 am   Permalink

Yet another

[ This Message was edited by: Lingam 2007-05-11 06:47 ]

Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-11 06:43 am   Permalink

Last one

[ This Message was edited by: Lingam 2007-05-11 06:48 ]

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 06:57 am   Permalink

I am lovin the walls and ceiling. The bar itself could use some boo -n- matting treatments. Some cool retro stools and voila!

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 07:12 am   Permalink

Great start to the bar and great bottle selection.

Some period furniture, some pictures, a few more tikis and some float lamps would certainly add to it.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-11 08:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-11 06:57, McTiki wrote:
I am lovin the walls and ceiling. The bar itself could use some boo -n- matting treatments. Some cool retro stools and voila!

I have been thinking of doing something like this

but I don't want to permanently afix anything to the bar. Maybe I can create a modesty panel with the matting and screw it onto the face of the bar. I am certainly looking for stools I think some vintage ratan ones.

Lingam

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 12:51 pm   Permalink

I can sympathize with not wanting to alter the original for whatever reason. (See my store pics) This is what creative genious is for. Using 1/4" plywood, you can not only cover the existing bar, but, create a larger appearance to it as well!

Good lookin space so far.

You can't go wrong with Rattan stools!

The mentioning of more Tiki influences and the addition of poly influenced lighting are dead on.

I was focussing purely on the main eye catchers first, but since the walls already have matting, I went bar-side first as it was not adorned yet! (Nice selections by the way!)

Mahalo and thank you for sharing

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 1:03 pm   Permalink

Well, it's very plain so far. Obviously you need stuff on the walls. I would maybe hang a spear from the record shelf supports and maybe run some directed lights on a dimmer under those too that add a little light to the wall stuff. You just have to break up that space. More stuff, period, but more stuff hanging.

On the bar, why not permanently attach? At least do some bamboo framing.

I'd also add cross "beams" to your ceiling and use some jute to tie them together for the island look. I would also put large bamboo or even just some weathered logs in the corners. You have a lot of hut look going, you want to continue the illusion. Are you in a hut? Make it look like it all over.

Nothing a few years of collecting and creating can't make great.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-11 1:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-11 12:51, McTiki wrote:
I can sympathize with not wanting to alter the original for whatever reason. (See my store pics) This is what creative genious is for. Using 1/4" plywood, you can not only cover the existing bar, but, create a larger appearance to it as well!

Good lookin space so far.

You can't go wrong with Rattan stools!

The mentioning of more Tiki influences and the addition of poly influenced lighting are dead on.

I was focussing purely on the main eye catchers first, but since the walls already have matting, I went bar-side first as it was not adorned yet! (Nice selections by the way!)

Mahalo and thank you for sharing

McTiki

It doesn't show well but I have several tikis the record shelf as well as around the jukebox. I am looking to carve a tiki god that I have designed to be placed on the left of the jukebox. But I need to freshen up my carving skills before that happens. I appreciate all the comments. Please keep them coming.

Lingam

Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-11 1:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-11 13:03, Swanky wrote:
Well, it's very plain so far. Obviously you need stuff on the walls. I would maybe hang a spear from the record shelf supports and maybe run some directed lights on a dimmer under those too that add a little light to the wall stuff. You just have to break up that space. More stuff, period, but more stuff hanging.

On the bar, why not permanently attach? At least do some bamboo framing.

I'd also add cross "beams" to your ceiling and use some jute to tie them together for the island look. I would also put large bamboo or even just some weathered logs in the corners. You have a lot of hut look going, you want to continue the illusion. Are you in a hut? Make it look like it all over.

Nothing a few years of collecting and creating can't make great.

Alas, a plain tiki bar. Oh no! I plan on putting two tiki masks (back lit from inside) on the long green wall to help break up the space. I do like the spear idea with lights, thats really cool.

The reason I don't want to permanantly attach anything is, I hand built the bar and if I ever decide to change the decor (not that I think I will mind you) I do not want to damage the bar. It is all red oak so its not cheap to repair.

I appreciate your ideas and suggestions. If you are ever around Nashville let me know and you can come have a couple drinks with us.

Lingam

Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-11 1:23 pm   Permalink

The Bar

Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 3:34 pm   Permalink

I have a couple of comments:

I love the look but it needs more"stuff" to make it a little more intimate.

You have too much liquor, you should either send some to me or invite me over. This will help declutter your shelves.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-11 8:42 pm   Permalink

very good suggestion for the liquer problem, Surf.
hi Lingam- great start on the pad. what about some (or a lot) of split bamboo and matting or grass on the juke? some heavy double sided tape would secure them without any permanent damage. more stuff/tiki/poly art is definatly the first thing, though. again, awesome start. definatly the perfectly sized space and layout. cheers!

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMookie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 07:51 am   Permalink

Looks great so far!

You did a great job on the bar, I can see why you don't want to ruin it. You might just hang some tapa on the front of the bar and you could hang some tiki masks or something, and light it up? Just a thought...

Great job on the room. We look forward to the next update!

View Profile of TikiMookie Send a personal message to TikiMookie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation