FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts My tiki bar (please critique)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
My tiki bar (please critique)
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 09:40 am   Permalink

why not make grass matte covered panels for your bar and use velcro to attache them?..that way you won't be putting screw holes in the bar. in fact, forget the velcro and build a one piece mdf cover that fits over the existing bar, like a shell...that way, if you ever want to change it, throw the facade away...or if you want to keep it, just screw it to the existing bar and call it done.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 09:42 am   Permalink

..looks like you got some wasted space under the bar....you should put another level of shelving above where the booze is.....you may not be able to store more booze, but it's a good place for glassware...

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 5:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-11 13:17, Lingam wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-05-11 13:03, Swanky wrote:
Well, it's very plain so far. Obviously you need stuff on the walls. I would maybe hang a spear from the record shelf supports and maybe run some directed lights on a dimmer under those too that add a little light to the wall stuff. You just have to break up that space. More stuff, period, but more stuff hanging.

On the bar, why not permanently attach? At least do some bamboo framing.

I'd also add cross "beams" to your ceiling and use some jute to tie them together for the island look. I would also put large bamboo or even just some weathered logs in the corners. You have a lot of hut look going, you want to continue the illusion. Are you in a hut? Make it look like it all over.

Nothing a few years of collecting and creating can't make great.

Alas, a plain tiki bar. Oh no! I plan on putting two tiki masks (back lit from inside) on the long green wall to help break up the space. I do like the spear idea with lights, thats really cool.

The reason I don't want to permanantly attach anything is, I hand built the bar and if I ever decide to change the decor (not that I think I will mind you) I do not want to damage the bar. It is all red oak so its not cheap to repair.

I appreciate your ideas and suggestions. If you are ever around Nashville let me know and you can come have a couple drinks with us.

Lingam

You're in Nashville? I am there fairly regularly. My sister lives there. I was at the flea market there a few weeks ago and found nothing at all. Either there is nothing or someone has come through and grabbed it all early.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-13 12:57 pm   Permalink

Why do you have the shelf with the records so close to the ceiling?

I would suggest putting another shelf below it that goes from one wall to a bit more than the half-way point, and then another shelf the same way from the other wall. it would give you two shelves to hold taller stuff in the corners, and three shelves to display from in the middle.

But listening to me is not the best idea because I drink.

Lots.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-13 10:10 pm   Permalink

Personally don't like the green. Tan or dark brown. The green doesn't flow with the room.

Except for that, a good start. Bars should never be complete, always added to.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-14 06:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-12 09:42, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..looks like you got some wasted space under the bar....you should put another level of shelving above where the booze is.....you may not be able to store more booze, but it's a good place for glassware...

The pic from behind the bar is old. I actually did put a shelf under the right side for glasses and I am going to put a wine fridge on the left. The middle will be open for storage and misc bartending things.

Lingam

View Profile of Lingam Send a personal message to Lingam  Email Lingam Goto the website of Lingam     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-14 06:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-12 09:40, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
why not make grass matte covered panels for your bar and use velcro to attache them?..that way you won't be putting screw holes in the bar. in fact, forget the velcro and build a one piece mdf cover that fits over the existing bar, like a shell...that way, if you ever want to change it, throw the facade away...or if you want to keep it, just screw it to the existing bar and call it done.

Thats a good idea. That may actually be the route I go.

Thanks

Lingam

View Profile of Lingam Send a personal message to Lingam  Email Lingam Goto the website of Lingam     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-14 06:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-13 12:57, Chip and Andy wrote:
Why do you have the shelf with the records so close to the ceiling?

I would suggest putting another shelf below it that goes from one wall to a bit more than the half-way point, and then another shelf the same way from the other wall. it would give you two shelves to hold taller stuff in the corners, and three shelves to display from in the middle.

But listening to me is not the best idea because I drink.

Lots.

Shelf height was a practical matter. If the shelf were any lower then the drunk people coming down the stairs would be in danger of clocking their head on the shelf. I originally wanted it about 6 inches lower, until I realized what would happen. I might add another shelf, but the green wall is where I am going to hang a couple of tiki masks that have lights in them, so I will have to see after I do that. Thanks for the suggestions.

Lingam

Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-14 06:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

You're in Nashville? I am there fairly regularly. My sister lives there. I was at the flea market there a few weeks ago and found nothing at all. Either there is nothing or someone has come through and grabbed it all early.

Yeah, there isn't much in the way of tiki there. I sweep through about every month and look and I haven't found much. Most of the flea market is the "as seen on TV" stuff and counrty craft stuff. shoot me a message next time you head this way, My wife and I could meet and go to the Omni Hut and then back to our place for some drinks.

Lingam

Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-14 06:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-13 22:10, Lake Surfer wrote:
Personally don't like the green. Tan or dark brown. The green doesn't flow with the room.

Really? You don't like the green? Most people that have seen it really like it, plus it adds a bit of color to the room. Don't you think that a whole room that was neutral colors would be a bit...well dull? I would appreciate your insights.

Lingam

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 07:14 am   Permalink

Lingam, you are doing a great job. Maybe you could change some of the existing furniture with some rattan or 50's pieces. Maybe one of the walls could have tapa cloth with bamboo matting around it, (you could buy the fabric). And some artificial tropical plants with red lighting on them, to set the mood right. Maybe some plastic tropical plants?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-14 07:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-14 07:14, hiltiki wrote:
Lingam, you are doing a great job. Maybe you could change some of the existing furniture with some rattan or 50's pieces. Maybe one of the walls could have tapa cloth with bamboo matting around it, (you could buy the fabric). And some artificial tropical plants with red lighting on them, to set the mood right. Maybe some plastic tropical plants?

Yeah the furniture is the next thing to change. I am looking for the right pieces to use. I like these barrel chairs in the ScotTiki's Moai Lounge

Of course if I find the right rattan ones that would be good too. I am going to get some plants and some tapa. The tapa will go on the small wall on the left of the jukebox. You can't see it from the pics, it is about 2.5 feet long, but it is the perfect place for tapa. And I might put some on the bottom of the long shelf as well. Thanks for the ideas.

Lingam

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 12:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-14 06:54, Lingam wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-05-13 22:10, Lake Surfer wrote:

Really? You don't like the green? Most people that have seen it really like it, plus it adds a bit of color to the room. Don't you think that a whole room that was neutral colors would be a bit...well dull? I would appreciate your insights.

Lingam

For me the walls are just walls. It is what you put on top of them that counts. Weapons, paintings, masks. The wall is sort of the canvas to me, whether that be paint or tropical wall coverings. You build on top of that and the wall becomes neutral, but still part of the overall room. I went with a reed fence lauhala combo divided by carved chair rail...

Its your bar, so do what makes you happiest.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-14 12:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-14 07:14, hiltiki wrote:
And some artificial tropical plants with red lighting on them, to set the mood right. Maybe some plastic tropical plants?

Plants and vines really add an interest to the bar, and really give it that tropical feel. You can even work with vines to make it appear that the jungle outside is trying to get in.

You don't have to break the bank either on silk plants or plastic. Craft stores like Michael's and JoAnn's have a ton of stuff to work with. And both have weekly or bi-weekly coupons that take 40% off of one item. I save up coupons and make big plant purchases with them.

Lingam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-14 2:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

For me the walls are just walls. It is what you put on top of them that counts. Weapons, paintings, masks. The wall is sort of the canvas to me, whether that be paint or tropical wall coverings. You build on top of that and the wall becomes neutral, but still part of the overall room. I went with a reed fence lauhala combo divided by carved chair rail...

Its your bar, so do what makes you happiest.

First off, you have a beautiful room. I agree on the plants and some more of the decor. I am still working on that part. That's why I asked. I will take a look for some more stuff at Michaels to see what I can find. Thanks

Lingam

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation