FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food When is a Mai Tai not a Mai Tai?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
When is a Mai Tai not a Mai Tai?
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 12:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-22 07:05, kingdomwinds wrote:
I got most of the ingredients for a mai tai but I cannot find orgeat syrup in my area.....

In an emergency such as the one you describe.... Amaretto mostly works. I don't recommend it as a regular substitute, but sometimes you just gotta have a Mai-Tai!

If you have a World Market, Cost-Plus, Trader Joes, or a relatively large Starbucks nearby you should be able to find an Orgeat, or possibly Torani Almond.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 1:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I got most of the ingredients for a mai tai but I cannot find orgeat syrup in my area. The liquor store back at home has it but I don't leave campus till tomorrow. I can't wait to make my first mai tai.

[ This Message was edited by: kingdomwinds 2007-05-22 07:06 ]

Don't mess up your first Mai Tai, says I. Just wait and drink some of your rum until you pass out. This makes the time go by mas rapidamente.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 2:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-22 13:11, pappythesailor wrote:
Quote:

I got most of the ingredients for a mai tai but I cannot find orgeat syrup in my area. The liquor store back at home has it but I don't leave campus till tomorrow. I can't wait to make my first mai tai.

Don't mess up your first Mai Tai, says I. Just wait and drink some of your rum until you pass out. This makes the time go by mas rapidamente.

My bad. I missed the first part of that post....

Pappy is right. Wait until you have the proper ingredients and do it right. Emergency substitutes come later....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingdomwinds

Posted: 2007-05-22 3:52 pm   Permalink

Yeah I am waiting till tomorrow. I just had a sip of the leroux orange curacao and thought it tasted a bit sweet.

Does the mai tai really need rock candy syrup? The orange curacao is pretty sweet and im sure the orgeat will be sweet too. I am not too fond of sickly sweet stuff.

View Profile of kingdomwinds Send a personal message to kingdomwinds      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-22 6:53 pm   Permalink

Skip the rock candy then, for sure, with the Leroux. It's sweet enough, and orangey enough.

If you haven't seen it, you might be interested in the Orange Liqueur Throwdown Challeneg thread. Among other people, I reviewed the 10 orange liqueurs in my arsenal, and said the following about the Leroux Orange Curacao:

"Strong orange smell with some bitter detected, though somewhat artificial. Less orange taste, more sweetness, and quickly finished with no burn at all. Relatively unremarkable, though this has enough orange taste to be considered for the inexpensive, sweet cocktails."

The Leroux was the second-worst of the 10.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 08:07 am   Permalink

Other than the fact that I make my own, I cannot find orgeat syrop in my area either.

Because I have been known to completely ruin a batch, as I did this past Mother's Day, I keep a stock of Tesseire Sirop D'Orgeat on hand, which is what I'm using now.

Even though I live in the Nation's Capital, where you'd think you could find just about anything, I have to get mine shipped from Atlanta, from a place called
Touch of Europe.

I also get my Orange Flower water and Rose water from them as well. I can find Rose water in stores, but not Orange Flower. It pays to order $50 worth of stuff from them at a time to get free delivery by FedEx Ground.

The one I use is Teisseire all natural Sirop D' Orgeat. It comes in funny shaped cans (not plastic bottles as the site might say) which are usually dented, sometimes brutally. Evidently, that's the way they arrive from France.

One I have not yet tried is not called orgeat, but it seems like it probably is. It's called Rieme all natural French almond syrup. Almond syrup is typically clear, whereas the Rieme Almond Syrup looks just like orgeat, milky.

Touch of Europe has 3-bottle and 6-bottle deals.

It's a shame to not be able to walk into a store and pick up orgeat, rock candy syrup, fassionola, and all the other things we like to use, but at least here's a place where you can order French imports.

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2007-05-23 08:20 ]

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingdomwinds

Posted: 2007-05-23 7:00 pm   Permalink

I just made some orgeat syrup with 2 cups of almond milk, 4 tspoon of almond extract, 1 tspoon of rose water, 1 cup water, and half a cup of sugar. I did not use that much sugar because i thought it would be too sweet. the orgeat was still reasonably sweet. I made a mai tai with the home made orgeat.

I put 1 oz of dark rum, 1oz of light rum, 1/2 oz of orange curacao, orgeat, and lime juice. The drink was ok but I noticed that it was very bitter due to the orange curacao and lime juice. What can i do to fix this? Add rock candy syrup?

EDIT: I just realized that the "lime burst" that i used ruined the drink. I thought it was lime juice but in addition to lime juice, it has lime oil for intense lime flavor. I just ruined my first mai tai but my family still seemed to enjoy it. I didn;t. I know it was suppose to be sweeter. I could not taste the orange curacao and orgeat.

[ This Message was edited by: kingdomwinds 2007-05-23 19:22 ]

View Profile of kingdomwinds Send a personal message to kingdomwinds      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 7:13 pm   Permalink

Your concern over the sweetness is valid, but slightly misplaced....

The recipe calls for 1/4 oz of rock candy syrup which for a six plus ounce drink is a very small portion. If your orgeat is 'overly' sweet and your curacao is equally overly sweet you can skip it.

But, skip the sugar at your own risk.... That little bit of sugar is there to take the edge off of the lime and to balance the burn of the rums. The 'original' recipe for the Mai-Tai used only a single rum that is no longer available so now we pair rums to regain that yummyness. The sugar part of the drink fills in the gap.

Basically, start with the full recipe and back-down any part of it that is overpowering. If it comes accross as too sweet, reduce (or drop) the sugar. If it is too bitter or sharp from the limes add a wee bit more of the sugar (or curacao). If the rum burn is too high add a wee bit more of the sugar and curacao. And, when you find a good balance, write everything down and share it.

Happy drinking and share what you discover along the way!

PS, when I say 'wee bit' I mean something less than 1/4 ounce but more than a drop. Let your nose tell you. Yes, I said nose, not toungue. Your nose is the best taster you have.

kingdomwinds

Posted: 2007-05-24 7:13 pm   Permalink

how is a mai tai suppose to taste like? This time, i used lime juice and rock candy syrup. But the drink mostly tasted sour because of the lime and the curacao. I have had mai tai at restaurants and bars but those used amaretto, triplesec, and grenadine mostly. So they are not really mai tai but it tasted sweeter than the one i made

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-24 7:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-24 19:13, kingdomwinds wrote:
how is a mai tai suppose to taste like? This time, i used lime juice and rock candy syrup. But the drink mostly tasted sour because of the lime and the curacao. I have had mai tai at restaurants and bars but those used amaretto, triplesec, and grenadine mostly. So they are not really mai tai but it tasted sweeter than the one i made

Sour sounds like you are getting close to the mark. Tell us all of your ingredents you used, specifically which rums did you use?

kingdomwinds

Posted: 2007-05-25 09:41 am   Permalink

I used Brugal $9 rums. 1 oz of dark rum, 1 oz light rum, 1/2 oz leroux curacao, 1/2 homemade orgeat, 1/4 of home made syrup, 1/2 of lime juice.

For the orgeat, i did not use that much sugar but it still tastes sweet. Same thing with the syrup. I did not use that much sugar. Does my mai tai taste more bitter because of the cheap orange curacao? the curacao smells like orange flavored cough syrup.

The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-25 10:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-25 09:41, kingdomwinds wrote:
Does my mai tai taste more bitter because of the cheap orange curacao? the curacao smells like orange flavored cough syrup.

Bols is good. DeKuyper is not. Curacao is not Triple Sec, for example, because its orange flavor is, in part, derived from the bitter orange peel, which is good.

If you go to another thread here (
Orange Liquor Throwdown Challenge), you'll gain plenty of insight.

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2007-05-25 10:50 ]

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-28 11:17 pm   Permalink

Apparently, one bottle from the original J. Wray 17-year old barrel still exists; a bar in Northern Ireland uses it for $1,400 Mai Tais.

Let's hope the bartender there knows how to use the other ingredients also.

http://spiritsnotebook.blogspot.com/2006/08/1400-mai-tai-is-no-gimmick_20.html

Was anyone at the 2005 London Luau? Who won the original Mai Tai at that event ... how did it taste?

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cigars&rum

Posted: 2007-05-29 07:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

Finest Call has very good Orgeat available...

http://www.finestcall.com/products/category.asp

C&R

View Profile of cigars&rum Send a personal message to cigars&rum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-29 12:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Monin is good, too, and available on the Internet.

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation