FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events 2007 Lamp Day May 26th-Vista, CA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
2007 Lamp Day May 26th-Vista, CA
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-28 8:06 pm   Permalink

that looks great derek. i'm really sorry i had to miss it.

congratulations

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-29 10:13 pm   Permalink

Well, we made it back from Southern California in one piece, and with one bitchen' lamp! Every time I look at it, I can't believe that Coco Loco and I built that! Here are some pics of our lamp building exercise last Saturday.

Here's a kit of parts that will be transformed into a lamp.

Frame assembly begins.

The frames start taking their shape fairly quickly.

The electrical lamp parts are the next to go in.

Then we make end caps. Bosko comes up with the idea to cut a hole in the end cap, to let light shine through on the ends. I promptly rip off his idea.

The patterns are then cut out of the tapa cloth.

The first set of panels are glued onto the frame.

After those set up, then the second set of panels are applied.

We wrap a special wire that looks like twine around the brass elecrical nub that sticks out of the top of the lamp, for decorative purposes.

Derek puts the finishing touches on the bamboo pull handle. Careful, that bamboo is hot, and stays hot for a while!

Hey, whatta ya know? We have lamps!!! I don't know who is more proud, Professor Derek, or all of his students?!? Look at all of those smiling faces!!!

Here's how my lamp looks in Derek's James Bond 007 themed bathroom.

We took a break for lunch mid day, while waiting for the first set of panels to set up. Bosko gave a great lecture on lamps. Check out the cool lamp in the forground.

Derek was such a great teacher, and fantastic and gracious host. He was running around keeping a watchful eye on everyone's progress, lending an expert hand when needed - we definitely kept him busy! The class was great, everyone was really enjoying the experience! Coco Loco and I had a great time hangin' out with the Monkeyman just chillin' and talkin' story while waiting for our lamp to dry. If we would have known that our car was going to break down later, we probably would have hung out a little while longer.

Oh, and it was great hangin' with everyone during this lamp building class. Everyone did such a great job, and all of their lamps came out great! I'm sure that Tiki Den would agree that it was definitely worth the drive down from Northern Calif to take this class. Derek, if you ever decide to do something like this again, I'll come down again in a heartbeat! Thanks again, Monkeyman!!!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Den
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-29 11:38 pm   Permalink

Wow!

I drove all they way down from Nor-Cal as well, and boy was it worth it!

I'd like to thank everyone for a fun time especially Derek for hosting such an awesome event! I'm really impressed with the lamps we all made under Monkeyman's Guidance! They look so tiki-sweet! Also, I'd like to thank Bosko for the lamp show and tell, Mieko and her mom for helping with with parts of the building process and of course Roxanne for helping me "keep it real" lol

Tapa Lamp Glow

Myself in da Monkeyman shirt with Lamp!

Mahalo,
-Dennis

View Profile of Tiki Den Send a personal message to Tiki Den  Goto the website of Tiki Den     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 11:27 am   Permalink

Do it again?

I just might.

But we will pick a different lamp design to make it fun and interesting.

Maybe in the fall.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-30 11:48 am   Permalink

All the lamps look great!

Wish I had been able to stay and see them finished.

Bosko, great idea cutting the hole in the end.
I put mine up and turned on the switch and realized I should have cut a hole to let the light shine through on the ends.
Missed the detail on the bamboo handle as well.
Got to get out the torch tonight.

Derek, I'm in for a fall class! (Do you want the tuition sent to you now? )

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-30 12:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the pictures Mai Tai!

I'm in for another lamp building day, my husband mentioned wanting an octagon shaped lamp. I really like the bamboo rings in the resin.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-31 11:48 am   Permalink

If I am open for the weekend you do the next class.... definitely count me and a friend in. Those look absolutely awesome!!! (Bosko...I love the green light.) They are a nice size too. Thanks for all the pics everyone.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 11:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-30 11:27, Monkeyman wrote:
Do it again?

I just might.

But we will pick a different lamp design to make it fun and interesting.

Maybe in the fall.

Any chance you can squeeze one in maybe the day after the Big Ol' Tiki Bash in July when a bunch of us from out of the area will already be in SoCal? I would love to attend one of these, but can't afford to travel down there every month.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 12:20 pm   Permalink

I dont think I will be in town for the Tiki Bash....

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 12:32 pm   Permalink

Derek,
How about offering something like this during Tiki Oasis? Like on a slower day in the morning/afternoon? That would be fun, and you wouldn't lack for participants. Just a thought.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 12:35 pm   Permalink

Nah... too much already going on during Oasis.

At Oasis I will be selling these lamps COMPLETE and ready to take home.

I have 12 being made in my garage right now.

$150 each

I cant ship these.... they are just too bulky and fragile.

Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 11:55 pm   Permalink

Okay, my lamp went up today. I happened to hang the glass fish float lamps a few weeks back, right before Derek announced this lamp building class. It fits perfectly between the two glass float lamps!

I'm glad that I cut out the extra material to let the light shine through on the end caps. Oh, and hey, everybody gets a sneak peak at the tiki bar I've been working on here at Casa de Mai Tai. Forgive the yellow walls. Right now you can see my drummer gods, a tiki by Crazy Al hiding on the left side of the bar, and mug shelf by Cammo. On the bar top you might be able to spot a 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea snowglobe, a Tangaroa lamp peaking over the clutter, a bottle of Ron Zacapa Centennario 23yr, and a tiki by Seamus in the middle, amongst other stuff. I picked up some swag at Oceanic Arts, including some wall coverings, and some puffer fish, so there is much more to come. I'm going to face that aqua and white cabinet in bamboo, and store most of my mugs in there. I have all of the bamboo, and Leroy at Oceanic arts split it all for me, so all I need is my Dad's nail gun. I'm also going to box in that big window, and make it a thunder and lightning and rain effect.

Hey, any of you old timers recognize the bar, and where it came from?

Needless to say, my new lamp has found a home! Thanks again Monkeyman!!!

princessP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-03 2:54 pm   Permalink

wow, that is sure cool.Looks like everybody had fun.

View Profile of princessP Send a personal message to princessP  Email princessP Goto the website of princessP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-08 4:34 pm   Permalink

for those that missed out on lamp day and would rather pay someone else to make thier lamp for them....

here is your opportunity...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=24764&forum=12&0

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation